Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Life saving First Aid in a mass casualty situation.

In light of recent attacks with mass casualties we need to think of the aftermath. EMTs and ambulances response times are no faster than police.

Most of us think through GGWAG senarios, but it would be a good idea to plan on good guy with a band aid situations too.

Are you prepared?

I have recently started carrying an EDC IFAC.

• It began as a Rescue Essentials ankle IFAC. It comes with a Sof T tourniqiut, 4" Israili bandage and two pair of Black nytril gloves.
    • https://www.rescue-essentials.com/re...e-medical-kit/
    • It has 3 Molle attachments in which I added a pair of EMT shears.
    • I rolled a Nasopharengial airway as amall as the package would and taped apacket of lube to it and put it in the pocket with the gloves.
    • I added a pack of band aids, alcohol preps and a mask in the pocket with the Israeli bandage.

What do you carry? I highly recommend Rescue Essentials most of their prices are very competitive.

The member formerly known as blue falcon.
    To avoid misunderstandings.

User Info Menu

I carry the most useful stuff in my head:
    Lifeguard certification (not quite as useful for most land emergencies)
    FA/CPR
    AED/Oxygen

Usually carry a Sof-T tourniquet.
    Have FA Kits stashed in various places at work and home, and each car has one.
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

“There's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.” - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

User Info Menu

Not much... My brain, my hands, a sharp pocket knife, basic first aid kits in vehicles, and always wear a quality belt that can be used as a tourniquet or harness. Quality BLS care is biggest factor in successful outcomes...
    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.

User Info Menu

I carry an NAR CAT, 4” Izzy, and nitriles. My JEEP kit has several 4 and 6” Izzy’s, Qwik-Colt Zfold and sponge, more z-fold, shears, chest seals, and a couple NPA’s, along with extra CATs. I also carry decompression needles in a capacity to “arm” trained personnel if needed(I’ve not received much in the way of tension pneumothorax training)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
    I carry an NAR CAT, 4” Izzy, and nitriles. My JEEP kit has several 4 and 6” Izzy’s, Qwik-Colt Zfold and sponge, more z-fold, shears, chest seals, and a couple NPA’s, along with extra CATs. I also carry decompression needles in a capacity to “arm” trained personnel if needed(I’ve not received much in the way of tension pneumothorax training)
    If you are going to carry decompression needles, might consider adding a decent stethoscope and BP cuff to your kit....
    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.

User Info Menu

I really like the look of the ankle med kits and have considered them for certain things. I can't see myself carrying it every day, In part because I don't wear pants that often and go for shorts. I know this sounds as bad as "I carry my gun when I think I need it" but I could see myself carrying it on my ankle when I felt compelled depending on what I was doing and just suck it up and wear pants even if it's hot. Keeping med stuff in the vehicle or in my bag that's near by at work is just so convenient and I only carry is a CATs in my pocket right now. Going to events or church etc where I could likely need it would make it nice, but I feel like "that guy" only using it sometimes. I hate these threads! Here I'd been feeling good about carrying a tourniquet and now this I feel like I can't get something and do "some of the time" I'm just not that guy lol

User Info Menu

You could always start with the simple, best thing you can do in a mass casualty is start flipping people on their sides as airway is the first of the ABC's and no one likes choking to death on their own tongue...

Gloves in a mass casualty is a joke, a arterial bleed makes a mess, you are going to get covered, no time to triple glove up so you can keep striping gloves between patients.

Belts make horrible tourniquets, a SOFT-W CAT gets the job done, a RATS is easy to carry and will buy time but have my concerns about it completely stopping blood flow having said that they work great on small limbs (kids) as well as 4-legged animals.

OP, Band-Aids, alcohol pads, and lube are not needed in a mass casualty... What you described is helpful but has nothing to do with mass casualties and that is what you made this thread about.

I would worry about real life threatening possiblities such are vehicle crashes, cuts, and trama that you might see in the day to day as the chance of being in a real mass casualty is pretty rare.
    Last edited by SMiller; 11-09-2017 at 22:05.
    USA1 God, guns, family, country

User Info Menu

Since it is my EDC the band aids are for me. The lube is for the airway, I know how but am not comfortable doing a trach.

Rescue Essentials has a bunch of other kits.

This one is small enough for a pocket or you can get a belt pouch with it.
    https://www.rescue-essentials.com/pa...et-trauma-kit/

This one is more for a coat pocket.
    https://www.rescue-essentials.com/co...ry-trauma-kit/

The member formerly known as blue falcon.
    To avoid misunderstandings.

User Info Menu

I would say in my mind I carry my cats for personal use. I feel like having something to stop a bad bleed that's not on a limb would be a useful addition though. I just usually think in terms of self application for stuff I keep on me. However thinking beyond that to others I feel like it gets harder to keep on your person every day.
    Last edited by Bfish; 11-09-2017 at 22:57.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SMiller View Post
    Gloves in a mass casualty is a joke, a arterial bleed makes a mess, you are going to get covered, no time to triple glove up so you can keep striping gloves between patients.
    If somebody has arterial bleeding in a mass casualty situation, I'm helping somebody else. Just not going to go where I can't help.

And gloves? Gloves are for me. If I don't get a chance to change them between working with different victims, oh well. Better for the victim to risk hepatitis and live than to bleed out because nobody helped.
    "The problem with internet quotations is that many are not genuine." -Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast