• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    I have always had mainstream wireless accounts.. AT&T, Verizon... but, why not use the prepaid companies? They're cheaper cost and typically piggybacked off the major networks.

I looked at Total Wireless' page (getting one of the kids their first smart phone), and we can get our entire family a plan for $100/mo... I think we are in excess of $200 on Verizon.

What's the downside??

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    If you are not a data hog or can get unlimited data, and they run one the ENTIRE network of one of the big guys, hey can be a big savings... but usually there are many strings attached such as data caps, reception limitations outside of populous areas, or no-roaming.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Coupled with the possibility of sketchy service during peak hours(don’t know if true, but have heard that the main customers get priority over the piggyback customers?) the savings may or may not be worth it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Mrs Monkey has used Straight Talk for years. It works well. They even have a BYOD if you already have an iphone (or Android) that you have paid off. You just need to call your existing carrier and tell them "I want to do a carrier unlock on my phone". If your contract is paid off they will send the signal to Apple (or Android?) to unlock the device so you can take it to another carrier. All you need then is a SIM card kit from them for $10 and you can port your number to them and start using a monthly service with no contracts.

She pays $50/mo no contract on a smart phone with unlimited text and talk, and I forget how much data. She never worries about the data becuse she is always calling me for info she could google her own damn self. :/

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Mrs Monkey has used Straight Talk for years. It works well. They even have a BYOD if you already have an iphone (or Android) that you have paid off. You just need to call your existing carrier and tell them "I want to do a carrier unlock on my phone". If your contract is paid off they will send the signal to Apple (or Android?) to unlock the device so you can take it to another carrier. All you need then is a SIM card kit from them for $10 and you can port your number to them and start using a monthly service with no contracts.

She pays $50/mo no contract on a smart phone with unlimited text and talk, and I forget how much data. She never worries about the data becuse she is always calling me for info she could google her own damn self. :/

We've been on Straight Talk for several years too. Not sure if it's still that way, but there used to be a marking on the package the phone comes in (if you buy it at Walmart) that indicated which network it would use (mostly Sprint or Verizon). Both have their advantages and disadvantages when it comes to coverage. I think we're both using the Verizon network now, but for awhile my phone used Verizon while DoggyMama's used Sprint. Generally speaking my phone had better coverage overall, but there were some places where Verizon had a "dead spot" and her Sprint phone still got a signal and vice versa.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I switched to Crickett wireless a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier.
    I had been with Verizon for more than a decade and was tired of being taken advantage of.

My Verizon bill was $74 and change each month (before taxes) for nothing more than unlimited text and talk.
    My Crickett bill is $25 per month for unlimited talk and text, but that price is AFTER taxes!
    My Crickett bill is $300 a year!

Now, I don't use data.
    My phone is for making and receiving phone calls. I don't play games on it. I don't use it to check my Fakebook page (because I don't have one), or to share pictures of my lunch with someone in Belarus.
    Talk and text only, but it is unlimited.

I'm still using a flip phone because I can't justify spending $1000 for a phone, when a $150 works fine for my uses.
    My cell service is actually better with Crickett than with Verizon.
    There are several buildings in town that I lost all reception upon entering.
    I have not dropped a single call in 2 years.
    No roaming charges, no dead zones...

Crickett wireless all the way for me.
    Hey Verizon, Can you hear me now?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Also a happy Cricket customer. $30 for 2GB data (I'm a light data user) and I was able to bring bring my own device over.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Also a happy Cricket customer. $30 for 2GB data (I'm a light data user) and I was able to bring bring my own device over.

Yep, I brought my phone and even kept the same number.
    I've told everyone I know what a great deal Crickett wireless is.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It looks like I need to check out Cricket. I have a Verizon prepaid basic plan now for $30 + taxes, etc. a month with unlimited everything. I have a neighbor I visit almost daily and have zero signal the whole time I am with her. Verizon actually deactivated my phone last month and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get service....had to completely reprogram my number into it and spent over two hours fighting with them on the phone to get it working again. I canceled my contract plan with them over a year ago and it was the best thing I ever did. Now, I just need to get a phone that works where I need it.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    You get what you pay for, in my area Verizon is the only phone with signal, makes the cheaper phones seem pointless, same with cable/internet, Comcast works 24/7, others not so much.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It looks like I need to check out Cricket. I have a Verizon prepaid basic plan now for $30 + taxes, etc. a month with unlimited everything. I have a neighbor I visit almost daily and have zero signal the whole time I am with her. Verizon actually deactivated my phone last month and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get service....had to completely reprogram my number into it and spent over two hours fighting with them on the phone to get it working again. I canceled my contract plan with them over a year ago and it was the best thing I ever did. Now, I just need to get a phone that works where I need it.

Check the Cricket and other budget carriers carefully. I forget which one we looked at but it was cheap. So long as you didnt leave your designated home city. They would have roaming fees that you would need to keep an account topped off with funds in addition to your monthly charge. Then you would roam between cities, and only sometimes have non-roaming service. So for instance She would have been fine in Indy, but on the way to see her parents in Columbus she would pay per minute out of that roaming account.

Then again, that was 10 years ago. So they may have changed. But always be aware of the contract details.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You get what you pay for, in my area Verizon is the only phone with signal, makes the cheaper phones seem pointless, same with cable/internet, Comcast works 24/7, others not so much.

Straight talk uses the different carriers depending on which phone you buy.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Mom45- Check if people get good reception with AT&T in your area. Cricket uses that network.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Another happy cricket user here, I believe they were actually acquired by AT&T and I know that they use AT&T's network. They keep bumping my data allotment up for no extra charge, which I guess would be nice if I used much data which I don't.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Mom45- Check if people get good reception with AT&T in your area. Cricket uses that network.

The lady I visit has an AT&T phone and it works fine so that would be even better! I will check into hidden fees for roaming and such though...good point.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The lady I visit has an AT&T phone and it works fine so that would be even better! I will check into hidden fees for roaming and such though...good point.

Crickett has no roaming fees.
    100% nationwide talk and text for me is $25 p/month.
    That is the rate I started with 2 years ago and I just keep it paid in advance.
    No mention of raising my rates or lower my services.

I have traveled to Chiraq and Columbus Indiana, both of which are far from my home area.
    Reception was perfect, and zero extra fees.

One small quirk that is a p.i.a sometimes.
    With Crickett, I have to dial the area code on every call, even local.
    For the savings, it's a small price to pay.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Crickett has no roaming fees.
    100% nationwide talk and text for me is $25 p/month.
    That is the rate I started with 2 years ago and I just keep it paid in advance.
    No mention of raising my rates or lower my services.

I have traveled to Chiraq and Columbus Indiana, both of which are far from my home area.
    Reception was perfect, and zero extra fees.

One small quirk that is a p.i.a sometimes.
    With Crickett, I have to dial the area code on every call, even local.
    For the savings, it's a small price to pay.

I have to dial the area code with Verizon so I am not sure that it is any different from what the other carriers require.

I am pretty sure there is a Cricket store not far from here so I will need to stop in and talk to them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What are the data caps on some of these plans? Assuming unlimited txt's are a given, I rarely talk anymore, but can blow through data pretty quickly.

Out on the road driving, my phone is radio, news, tv, jukebox. Similarly, at home the phone fills in the occasional network issue and will tether as a hotspot when needed.

I'm not sure the AT&T data usage isn't a bit loaded in their favor?

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    Top Bottom