• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Sometimes a good movie and one of interest to someone becomes known by word of mouth versus the trailers and common advertising. Not everything gets the media hype. There are also excellent older movies that folks may not know about. Not everyone will like everything, but that's OK. Enough postings should provide something for everyone. I'll start this off with several very recent films. I watch a very wide range of films, domestic and foreign, from numerous genre. Title and release year plus a line or two with what it's about. The year helps with confusion between multiple movies with the same title. If it's a foreign film, the country would be good too. The director is helpful for some, but not essential. Someone can look it up on RT or IMDb. Follow my format or create one of your own. :-)

I'll kick it off with the ones from the past few days as I've been on a binge of some older movies . . .

The Freshman (1925)
    Directors: Sam Taylor & Fred C. Newmeyer
    Starring: Harold Lloyd
    Genre: Comedy Silent
    More important in the silent era comedies were the actors. Nearly everyone knows about Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton. The third, lesser known now, but just as famous then, was Harold Lloyd, recognizable with his trademark round black rimmed glasses and straw hat. In this one, Harold goes off to college and to impress a girl he goes out for the football team. However, he's not an athlete and it shows. It's a superb comedy silent on par with the best of Chaplin and Keaton, and like them, he performed all his own stunt work. Harold Lloyd's other very notable feature film is Safety Last! (1923). If you've seen a silent film poster with a man hanging from a clock hand high up the side of a skyscraper, it's from that film.

Ride the Pink Horse (1947)
    Director: Robert Montgomery
    Genre: Film-noir Crime
    One of the post-WWII classic film-noir, the director also plays the lead role. Unlike the typical gritty urban film-noir, this one is set in a New Mexico town near an indian reservation during a fiesta. Montgomery is a secretive ex-GI who plans to extort money from a prominent gangster as retribution for the death of his best friend. An FBI man would like the government to get the incriminating information on the gangster that Montgomery is carrying. The femme fatale is an indian woman who shows up serendipitously throughout to help Montgomery, which is different from the traditional role for the female lead. One of the lesser known film-noir from the immediate post-WWII era, it has a 100%/90% rating on RT making it an excellent one for film-noir lovers.

Smiles of a Summer Night (1955)
    Director: Ingmar Bergman
    Genre: Romantic Comedy
    Bergman is one of Europe's most famous film directors. During the fall, winter and spring he was a stage director with a regular troupe of players. During the off season he would make films with them. Also written by Bergman, this was his first successful feature film. It was so successful that the production company, Svensk Filmindustri, gave him a free hand with just about anything he wanted to make thereafter and launched his lengthy film career. In this movie, three couples struggle to find happiness in love. It quickly becomes obvious they and their partners are not well suited for each other and are attracted to others. They end up spending a weekend vacation on a country estate with the extremely long Swedish summer daylight hours. A series of partner swapping interludes follows as they each finally realize their true soul mate is someone else. The double entendres come through very well in the subtitles. Subject material and dialog are very tame by today's standards. Bergman finally got it past the MPAA's straight-laced and draconian Hays Code censors for a 1957 limited release in the U.S. The basic plot line has been used and adapted by others numerous times (e.g. Stephen Sondheim's 1973 stage musical, A Little Night Music).

Splendor in the Grass (1961)
    Director: Elia Kazan
    Genre: Dramatic Romance
    Kazan's pre-1968 movies pushed some of the boundaries with the MPAA's Hays Code censors, including this one, with its mature subject material. In Warren Beatty's film debut opposite Natalie Wood, the story is set in 1928. The plot revolves around two high school seniors madly in love with each other dealing with the typical sexual repression of the era and the effect it and the stock market crash that sets off the Great Depression has on their relationship. A more mature coming of age story for the two, it spans their lives from about 18 years old into their early 20's and is more drama than romance. Among Kazan's other films: Gentleman's Agreement, A Streetcar Named Desire, East of Eden, and On the Waterfront. A co-founder of Actor's Studio in NYC in 1947 to develop actors and their skills, Kazan was noted for drawing superb performances from his actors, resulting in 21 Oscar nominations with 9 wins for them across the 19 films he directed. Natalie Wood was nominated for Best Actress, losing to Sopia Loren.

Seven Days in May (1964)
    Director: John Frankenheimer
    Genre: Dramatic Thriller
    Based on the 1962 novel of the same name, the screenplay for the film was written by Rod Serling and it has all the same tautness found in his Twilight Zone stories. The basic story is about a coup d'etat planned by the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff with the other service chiefs and a senator. Burt Lancaster plays an imposing four-star USAF general and JCS Chairman with Kirk Douglas, a USMC colonel, as his Director of the Joint Staff (similar to a chief of staff; in real life the DJS is a two or three star flag officer, not a colonel). Frederic March plays the President who has just signed a nuclear disarmament treaty with the Soviets. This rankles many U.S. citizens causing the POTUS' approval rating to plummet, and angers the JCS who sees the POTUS as a weakling and whose plans for a coup d'etat his DJS stumbles across. The film's pacing is excellent as the chess game between the POTUS and JCS Chairman plays out. This movie came on the heels of Frankenheimer's 1962 film, another excellent political thriller, The Manchurian Candidate.

Please do not feel the need to be as detailed as I have been. A blurb about what you've seen and perhaps something about what you think about it is sufficient.

John

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Murder on the Orient Express

Having never read the book or seen any other cinematic presentation we didn't know what to expect. We both enjoyed it and will probably purchase it on DVD when it is released. The scenes shot outside the train all looked very realistic in spite of being CGI'd no doubt.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    2016-04-08_5707fc1ce0ef4_finesthoursfront.jpg

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Murder on the Orient Express

Having never read the book or seen any other cinematic presentation we didn't know what to expect. We both enjoyed it and will probably purchase it on DVD when it is released. The scenes shot outside the train all looked very realistic in spite of being CGI'd no doubt.

Was going to ask for your thoughts on this one as I'd considered actually going to a theater to see it (haven't been in a theater in decades) and had seen some positive remarks about it.

Sidney Lumet made a very highly regarded one in 1974, and a "made for TV" version was done in 2010. If you have a Netflix or some other subscription (UV/VUDU or Amazon) and can slip in Lumet's '74 Lumet version you might watch it and do a comparison. It was nominated for six Oscars netting a Best Supporting Actress for Ingrid Bergman, plus ten BAFTA nominations winning three of those. Lumet's first film was 12 Angry Men (1957). His Orient Express was made between doing Serpico and Dog Day Afternoon, followed by Network (famous for the line: "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this any more!"). Sadly, the only release of Lumet's in North America is on DVD (no Blu-ray release).

John

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    This morning I watched Trolls and Monsters University with my children. They get control of the TV on Saturdays before noon, then I take it over for CFB.

bobcoop06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Marshall County
    I watch Madagascar 2 Escape to Africa about 2-3 times a day when I am home. Every once in a while, I get break and get to watch The Incredibles. Oh the joys of having a toddler!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I watched one on TCM the other day I had not seen before, "it's a wonderful world"(1939). Jimmy Stewart and Claudette Colbert, it's a comedy/drama about a tycoon (stewart) accused of murder. Pretty decent film, kept my attention throughout, but hey, I will watch anything with Jimmy Stewart in it.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I watch Madagascar 2 Escape to Africa about 2-3 times a day when I am home. Every once in a while, I get break and get to watch The Incredibles. Oh the joys of having a toddler!

When my kids were young, I had every line of Toy Story memorized! I must have watched that 500 times. My youngest son absolutely loved the first Mummy movie with Brendan Frasier, I think that movie was on a continuous loop in our house for a good 6 months.:):

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Watching Trading Places right now...Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy...a classic...not to mention the semi nude and incredible Jamie Lee Curtis.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

The Incredibles is quite funny! Glad you occasionally get a little respite with that one.

John

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I watched one on TCM the other day I had not seen before, "it's a wonderful world"(1939). Jimmy Stewart and Claudette Colbert, it's a comedy/drama about a tycoon (stewart) accused of murder. Pretty decent film, kept my attention throughout, but hey, I will watch anything with Jimmy Stewart in it.
    This one caught me by surprise. Had to look it up. It's from back in his early years when he did Destry Rides Again and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (both also from 1939). Good one for Veterans' Day! Stewart is one of the few actors who also had a magnificent military career.

TCM shows some excellent older films.

John

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I have seen all the Madagascar movies multiple times. G-kids.
    The incredible's is really an OK animated feature.
    Decedents and decedents II are both Horrific but the girls love them..

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Watching all three seasons of Deadwood, probably the best HBO series run.

Deadwood was a great show "...San Francisco ********er...", loved that show, True Detective season 1 was good too. If you liked Timothy Olyphant you might like Justified and a lot of Deadwood actors showed up in that series.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Just watched Polar Express for family movie night. We bust out the Christmas movies November 1st.

Arthur Christmas (2011) would be one to try if you've not seen it, and Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) is another although I'm guessing you've probably got (or seen) that one as it's been around for nearly 25 years.

John

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom