• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Bought a house with a 4 prong outlet for the dryer, but I have the older 3 prong plug.
    Can I simply buy an 3 prong adaptor that will plug into a 4 prong outlet, then I could plug in my 3 prong dryer plug?

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    You can buy adapters, they usually are like a short 12” extension cord, they are also pretty pricey. I would just buy a new plug for the dryer, should be cheaper and it is a pretty simple job to swap them out. Should be an access panel on the back of the dryer and screws holding the wire in place.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    They're out there
    Edited out the link and pic, all comments said it was for a genny plug and not a dryer. As mentioned above, switching out the cord isn't difficult.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I saw a vid about how easy it was, but since I've never done it and it is electrical, I always opt for someone who has done it before rather than do my own all by myself for the 1st time.
    Believe it or not my Dad was an electrician, so after listening to his stories I have a healthy fear doing something for the first time with electricity, especially 220.
    I put in a timer and a dimmer in my bathroom 2 months ago, and I'm sure it isn't any harder, but......

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I see what you mean, I've been watching vids on it and it is easier than putting in dimmers and timers in the bathroom.
    I will just buy the 4 prong plug somewhere tomorrow and put it in.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just get a new dryer cable. dead simple to replace it. And no risk of zapping yourself. Just follow Salty's advice.

Remove the back of the dryer, disconnect the old cable, reconnect the new one per the instructions and button it back up. They are VERY easy to swap.

And if you get the back off and decide you dont feel comfy, you can button it back up.

I had to do this for my dryer. We were given one with the newer plug style. I just took the cord off my old dryer and used it. Unlike other devices, Electric dryers are designed to have their power cords replaced. they are attached with screws or nuts on a post. (each wire has a connector ring on the end of it)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just get a new dryer cable. dead simple to replace it. And no risk of zapping yourself. Just follow Salty's advice.

Remove the back of the dryer, disconnect the old cable, reconnect the new one per the instructions and button it back up. They are VERY easy to swap.

And if you get the back off and decide you dont feel comfy, you can button it back up.

I had to do this for my dryer. We were given one with the newer plug style. I just took the cord off my old dryer and used it. Unlike other devices, Electric dryers are designed to have their power cords replaced. they are attached with screws or nuts on a post. (each wire has a connector ring on the end of it)

1. Yes, after watching the vids on it, I was ashamed of myself for being reluctant to do it, now I can't wait to get it done for the wife

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Did the 4 prong conversion for my dryer, so easy after watching blue falcon's vid: thanks!
    EXCEPT for the stupid "strain-relief" fitting. It would not work: period. I tried for 20 minutes.
    Discovered that there was a screw keeping the bottom plate from being able to fit correct.
    I finally figured out I had to take the screw out to get it to work, then put the screw back in: the kind of thing a vid doesn't cover.
    Who would design for a screw to be there?

Then, we discovered that dryer vent would not line up. the wall exit for the vent was 3 inches higher than the vent coming out of the dryer, and with a short run of a few inches, we could not get it to work with the flexible pipe we had: very frustrating.
    We tried taping it, but nothing would work.
    I finally put a 2x4 under the dryer corners to raise it up enough to make it more of a straight shot, and by using 4 "adaptors" we were able to make it work.
    Eventually, if I get the exact dryer height to match the vent, I could just use a straight pipe, but the dryer vent is different from the wall vent exit, so again: very frustrating.
    What should have been an easy venting with flexible vent pipe wouldn't work b/c of sizing issues.
    My wife was a real trooper b/c I could never fit between the wall and dryer to get back to work with it and she did it all, and had to get in back of the dryer about 6 times to make it finally work.
    We thought we had it twice, but then it would pop back off.

Top Bottom