• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    We'll be enjoying ham, turkey, green bean casserole, and mashed potato casserole. All of it will be cooked on the smoker.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Ham will be smoked with Dr pepper and glazed with honey and brown sugar.
    Turkey (boneless breast) will be brined in Alton Brown's orange juice brine.
    Green bean casserole will pretty much normal but with cumin in the soup mix.
    Potato casserole will be made by the wife so I'm not sure what she puts in, but I'll add more spices to it.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I'll be doing a Cajun seasoned smoke turkey as my part. We generally do a family pitch in. I might also throw in some bbq basted bacon wrapped sausage to hold us over while everything else is cooking.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I'm doing 2 sides and a dessert:

Pureed potatoes (7lbs Idaho, 3lbs Yukon gold, 1 large sweet potato, roasted garlic, butter, Asiago, s&p),

Brussel Sprouts first blanched, then sauteed in browned butter, ending with red pepper flakes and toasted walnuts.

Dessert is Creme Brulee (on demand) with fresh berries and powdered sugar

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Nothing but I am planning to eat some of what Mrs Glue prepares.

I was informed that we will be having breakfast casserole for those that come early and lasagna in the afternoon.

Our kids are grown with their own kids so this means they have multiple locations to go to for the day.

We decided last year to just make it simple for everyone. Come when you can and stay as little or as long as you can.
    Way less stress on everyone that way.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm doing 2 sides and a dessert:

Pureed potatoes (7lbs Idaho, 3lbs Yukon gold, 1 large sweet potato, roasted garlic, butter, Asiago, s&p),

Brussel Sprouts first blanched, then sauteed in browned butter, ending with red pepper flakes and toasted walnuts.

Dessert is Creme Brulee (on demand) with fresh berries and powdered sugar

Red pepper flakes, huh? Mmmm....

I'll be shredding, then sauteing in :bacondance: fat with almond slivers and dried cranberries.
    I got 22# bird this year that will be brined & spatchcocked.
    I'll be making the 'taters & rolls, too. And the pies and whipped cream. And the bread for sammiches. (ATM - can you make it in time?)
    I think 12-14 persons at the table.

Part of my T-Day prep always involves sitting down and watching the two Good Eats episodes: Romancing the Bird (A Good Eats Thanksgiving) | Good Eats | Food Network and Alton's Countdown to T-Day | Good Eats | Food Network .

I might make a small bowl of sweet potatoes and chipotle in adobe. My family hates it, but I like the heat and the "candied yams" is creepy. First, they're sweet potatoes. Second, they're already sweet, they don't need any sugar or marshmallows.

If someone wants that at my table, or green bean casserole with canned soup, they can make it and bringing.

This thread reminds me that I should probably make and freeze the rolls this week. And make the egg nog for XMas (aging is good!), but that's another thread.

PS - Our family has always applied honey to our pumpkin pie. Anyone else do this?

Last edited:

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Simple Turkey in a bag on a bed of veggies in the over with butter on him. The rest of the family will bring sides and desert. I'm thankful every day.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We have quail in bacon, turkey, diced spiced eggplant, green beans, potatoes, corn, mushrooms, homemade rolls. We usually have a Reisling or Pinot Noir. (I may have a beer too).:D

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My responsibility is the dressing. We do dressing, not stuffing, and its from scratch. My family adores this recipe from my late grandma. about 10 years ago before she passed away, I asked her for the recipe. "There isnt one. I just throw it together based on sight."

So one year I took over and deep fried a turkey at my house instead of doing dinner at hers. I got all the ingredients together and had her give me the ingredients one by one as she would decide how much of each was going to be added. I would measure them and write it down before adding them to the mix. I built the entire recipe that way. There is still some guessing based on how much liquid to add (depending on how dry the bread got) but except for that there is no question.

To this day there is no question what the monkey brings to thanksgiving dinner. (We do it pitch-in style where the host makes the meat(s) and everyone else is assigned a dish to bring. ) I have mastered the recipe so that is what I am assigned to bring. And I will not be allowed in the house if I dont have it. LOL

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Apple cider and maple syrup brined turkey breast, Butter packed Prime Rib with homemade au jus, a ham (haven’t decided how), roasted smashed garlic potatoes, peach cobbler, all done on the Traegers and BGE. My two burner will have the steamer pot on it with Lobster Bisque. Lesser mortals will bring the stuff you cook inside. Since this will be part of the families Thanksgiving and Christmas were doing the beef and Bisque we usually do for Christmas as well.

ETA: This year may be the first time I am “at capacity” as far as grills go if I just use the two Traegers and large BGE. I don’t want to mess with firing up the Brinkmann horizontal, but I may have to?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No, it's a term of art. I think OurDee may have some cook training.

Clean the turkey, rub it down with olive oil and spices, bake at 325-350 for 3 to 3.5 hours until thigh is 180 to 190.

He's putting the turkey in a bag, so...

180-190? 3 1/2 hours @ 350?

That's going to be a dry bird.

Spatchcock to increase the surface area, preheat 500F, then reduce to 350F after 30 minutes (better: 325 with convection). Cook till breast is 161F. If the legs and thighs get up to 180, that's OK, but your concern is the breast and not overcooking (or undercooking) that. For me, I'm expecting this 22# bird to take about two hours, or less.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    He's putting the turkey in a bag, so...

180-190? 3 1/2 hours @ 350?

That's going to be a dry bird.

Spatchcock to increase the surface area, preheat 500F, then reduce to 350F after 30 minutes (better: 325 with convection). Cook till breast is 161F. If the legs and thighs get up to 180, that's OK, but your concern is the breast and not overcooking (or undercooking) that. For me, I'm expecting this 22# bird to take about two hours, or less.

Watch your mouth, young man! We are in mixed company!

But seriously since I learned that technique I use it and like it so much better. Even better than beer can chicken using the special pan with a cone lid

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Our kids are grown with their own kids so this means they have multiple locations to go to for the day...

The stress of gathering up the kids from different places, fighting, forgetting stuff, traffic, etc. Many years ago I put my foot down. A month before the holiday, I called my dad and said we weren't coming for thanksgiving, we were just gonna stay home in Brown County.

Monday before Thanksgiving, dad calls saying "what do you want us to bring?" :rolleyes:

NOoooooooooo....

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Traveling this year unfortunately and we will be at my SIL house in ATL, mainly so we can easily meet up with my son who is a Freshman at Bama. Easier to get him there and meet up with him than try and get him home and back.

I will be taking my Turkey fryer and frying the bird. Unfortunately my SIL is no a a good, bad or even indifferent cook, but my wife is. I hate to travel at Thanksgiving, but haven't seen the boy since mid August, so will be good to catch up with him.

Should get to hit a gun range with my BIL and the boy while we are down there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We are doing a huge pot of green beans ham and new taters.
    The spouse has a special double secret recipe and I could just get me a big bowl of this and let everyone else have Turkey. It is that good.
    I will be having me some Turkey but just saying on the beans.....:)

Top Bottom