• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you listen to the radio, you've probably heard of the Indy Ten Point Coalition. If not, here's a brief mission summary:

The mission of the Indianapolis Ten Point Coalition is to reduce violence and homicide through direct engagement, the promotion of education, and the fostering of employment opportunities.

I mostly hear Reverend Charles Harrison on WIBC. He's often interviewed with regards to upticks in violence around the city, or to comment on police action shootings involving black men and women.

Any thoughts on the organization? Do you feel it is making or has made a positive change? Anyone here been involved with it?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My impression is, without any direct knowledge or information, that they have a worthy goal (reducing violence) but have to carefully walk a line between maintaining credibility in the neighborhoods and with the police/mayor.

The main guy seems genuine and articulate, but part of me wonders why he happens to be the guy usually picked for the interviews.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When the AG showed up to talk to them I saw other organizations that I haven't seen on the news saying bad things. Had to wonder about that.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I've also wondered about the effectiveness of the 10 Point. They claim an 80% reduction in murders in the neighborhood near Butler U. But a couple of bad actors were also arrested so what is the real reason for the drop in murder? I find it hard to believe that young men willing to shoot on a public street are going to be swayed by older men telling them its bad. 10 Point also has a lot at stake since they are getting millions of dollars in grants. Show results, real or coincidental, or the money dries up.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I've also wondered about the effectiveness of the 10 Point. They claim an 80% reduction in murders in the neighborhood near Butler U. But a couple of bad actors were also arrested so what is the real reason for the drop in murder? I find it hard to believe that young men willing to shoot on a public street are going to be swayed by older men telling them its bad. 10 Point also has a lot at stake since they are getting millions of dollars in grants. Show results, real or coincidental, or the money dries up.

I agree with KMaC. I am not sure of the effectiveness of the 10 point and if the numbers of their effectiveness have been manipulated in their favor. With that said, they do serve a purpose, but their purpose, I believe, is dealing with a symptom and not the actual problem. I would like to see them expand their work to encourage family units and to discourage fragmented families. And to find a way to help families that are already fragmented by helping the children of those families. At some point, the cycle needs to be stopped and a new and better family cycle needs to be created to help prevent creating future criminals.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    They are all talk.

Yes they are. They talk to gang members. They talk to kids. They talk at churches.
    Sometimes they walk the streets.
    They may not be the most effective, but they are doing something. If someone wants to complain about what do, regardless of how little it may seem to others, I'd ask what have they done in comparison?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Dont know anything about them, but they sound like Jessie Jackson's rainbow coalition in Chicago. Which is corrupt and really doesn't do much

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Dont know anything about them, but they sound like Jessie Jackson's rainbow coalition in Chicago. Which is corrupt and really doesn't do much

"Sounds like" is good enough to make a determination, despite the two having two VERY different objectives?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes they are. They talk to gang members. They talk to kids. They talk at churches.
    They may not be the most effective, but they are doing something. If someone wants to complain about what do, regardless of how little it may seem to others, I'd ask what have they done in comparison?

Can not say they aren't making a showing but the money that flows in there just seems excessive for the results.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Can not say they aren't making a showing but the money that flows in there just seems excessive for the results.
    What money?

Their 990s (available online) are pretty sparse. I think 2015 was their biggest year recently, and that was just about $200k in revenue. At least based on that filing, the ministers don't make anything from it.

Now, their notoriety might lead to speaking gigs or something, but I seriously doubt they're breaking big bills.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How much money do they get for their budget each year? I don't know.

I have no direct knowledge but there has been a few pieces on grants etc that they have received. They are franchising.

I am sure there was at least one huge one to memory but I can not say for sure.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What money?

Their 990s (available online) are pretty sparse. I think 2015 was their biggest year recently, and that was just about $200k in revenue. At least based on that filing, the ministers don't make anything from it.

Now, their notoriety might lead to speaking gigs or something, but I seriously doubt they're breaking big bills.

Oh.

Oops.

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana
    I always thought it was a pretty interesting dynamic in the city of Indianapolis. Just from my observations it appears that they work hand in hand with the mayors office and the Chief of IMPD to "curb" the violence. My wild speculations runs something like this.....problem in a neighborhood the "reverends" show up on scene to help smooth things over with the locals. The city throws money towards them to help "prevent" violence. Take away the money and very few of those people would care anymore.

Its all about the money.

A few years ago same players under a different name. I think it was the "concerned Clergy"

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    They are all talk.
    This^^^ and from what I’ve heard, they want $$$$$ for their “activism”.
    Looks to me like all they do is stand on corners and pray after a black person is killed. Not that that is a bad thing, I think it’s a great thing! I just don’t think any tax dollars should go to them.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

The people causing all the problems in that neighborhood are currently in jail after commutting multiple pharmacy robberies. That is why there haven't been any murders in the neighborhood.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.

Why don't you strap your badge back on and wonder south of 96th street instead of talking down to the officer that actually make contact and see these roving idiots with their vest on at crime scenes doing nothing...

Top Bottom