• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow. I'm kinda surprised.

I've read elsewhere, though, that there has been a dropoff of people going to law school.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Most unfortunate that this law school will probably wind down operations and ultimately shut down completely. The students there will be facing a lot of issues trying to get their degrees and then entering the crowded job market. I can only wish them the very best of luck.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    All I know is that a lot of very good attorneys started their professional path there. It's a shame that the administration, about 10 years ago, became short-sighted and created a situation that was impossible to sustain. Nothing the subsequent administration did could stop the slide.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    In the 80’s there were more law students than practicing lawyers.

That was the start of the glut of lawyers, and general family law, injury law, etc became overpopulated with lawyers.

Law schools are recruiting hard to fill their classrooms. Valpo was a fairly good school but was not top tier, and now top 50 schools are giving out big scholarships to get students. My daughter got full ride offers to 8 law schools, all rated in the top 50 and several in the top 25. She’s a good student, but it shows the despiration of the law schools. There will be more law school closings. I heard about Valpo closing their law school about 2 years ago.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    That's just great! Where are we supposed to send you guys for warranty issues now?

We are now a disposable society and no longer repair things. In addition they have probably exceeded their warranty covered number of (billable) hours.

Perhaps we can repurpose them as WalMart greeters. I understand lawyers like to hear themselves talk.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You know, there are a number of similarities between being a Walmart greeter and a lawyer:
    - You generally see people at their worst.
    - People don't listen to you.
    - At the end of the day, you wonder where huge chunks of time went.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Two of my former co-workers, both excellent attorneys, are Valpo grads; like IU-Indianapolis, Valpo provides a valuable service to the people of The Region for students who cannot afford or don't have the time available to attend full-time through the day.

However, not everyone shares that view. From a recent Indiana Supreme Court disciplinary opinion footnote:

"Never, EVER would I do that or consider it with any non-lawyer. Who would do that,you? Perhaps a Valparaiso Law School lawyer or an Indiana University lawyer?"

Read the full opinion to get the context; this guy certainly looked down on us.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Two of my former co-workers, both excellent attorneys, are Valpo grads; like IU-Indianapolis, Valpo provides a valuable service to the people of The Region for students who cannot afford or don't have the time available to attend full-time through the day.

However, not everyone shares that view. From a recent Indiana Supreme Court disciplinary opinion footnote:

"Never, EVER would I do that or consider it with any non-lawyer. Who would do that,you? Perhaps a Valparaiso Law School lawyer or an Indiana University lawyer?"

Whoa. Where'd that asshat go to law school?

I'm long past the point of evaluating whether someone's a good attorney based on where they went to law school. The Ivys generate smart people and smart lawyers, but not necessarily any "better" at doing their job than attorneys that went elsewhere.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Whoa. Where'd that asshat go to law school?

I'm long past the point of evaluating whether someone's a good attorney based on where they went to law school. The Ivys generate smart people and smart lawyers, but not necessarily any "better" at doing their job than attorneys that went elsewhere.

Undergrad at Georgetown, MBA from Notre Dame, and law school from Loyola in Chicago.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Footnote was pretty funny.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Dammit.

I hate that he went to ND even for an MBA. Confirms too many stereotypes that I hate (because I have really nice family members who went there).

All that, and he was practicing in Michigan City doing basic family law stuff? I bet he was a total clownshow as opposing counsel. (Apologies for the insult to clownshows.)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Footnote was pretty funny.

What's kinda wild is that the "papers in the alley" is a reference to another real discipline case. Showed the dude was paying attention to what ethics stuff generally, just not in his own professional life.

Top Bottom