Have you ever written a "final goodbye" letter?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have to be at the hospital in 6.5 hours for a procedure to scar my heart and hopefully cure my atrial fibrillation. I thought it was fairly quick but apparently I'll be under general anesthesia for up to five hours. That makes you think.

I wrote a letter to my oldest son (only one I had at the time) and wife about eight years ago when I was concerned I had melanoma of the eyelid. The night before surgery I did a lot of reflecting and wanted to record that for them to read when older. Tonight I did the same. I don't recall what I wrote in the first letter but it's still in my safe. This one will go there too. I am 100% certain though that I did not live up to the goals I had for the next portion of my life, should I be blessed enough to have that next portion.

If you've never taken an accounting of your life and relationships, I suggest you do it some time. It's hard to do when not facing something that could potentially kill you, even though that's a very slim possibility. I do know that it will give comfort to those you leave behind if they find a letter you wrote them before you were gone. It also gives you an opportunity to be honest and critical about the life you're living and decide to make a course correction if needed.

Not looking for anything by this post, just encouraging some reflection if you haven't done it in a while. Catch you guys post-op :rockwoot:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My wife wrote on for me and one to give to my son when he gets married. One if her girl friends gave it me after her passing. It was a good thing. I still reference it when I think my life looks bleak. It's gotten me threw some really rough times.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In my thoughts and our prayers today Doc.

I made a video. You all remember those right. We still have a VCR that is operational and the video is in the gun safe.
    This has me thinking, I need to update it and have it burned onto plastic.

Thanks Doc.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Say what you need and want to.
    I lost my wife and love of my life to a drunk driver in '86.
    There were no good byes and wishes that things would be different.
    Say it while you have the chance.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    First, best of luck on your recovery.

Being old, I figure people can see what I've done with my life for themselves rather than read my interpretation of it.

Not the same for younger folks who have so much more to experience, so perhaps putting those thoughts to record is a good idea.

Top Bottom