• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I realize that this thread could go awry but I was talking to a coworker today and thought I'd ask for INGO's take on the discussion. If it gets out of hand or nobody wants to discuss it, oh well, I just thought it was an interesting opinion.

Do you think marijuana will ever be legalized federally?

My coworker argued that it should be, and treated just like alcohol. When you break it down, it starts to make sense, at least to my non-LEO and non-physician brain. A couple of her arguments:

Violence/Crime- If you could just go buy weed at 7eleven, I would think there would be a lot less risk of violence since you no longer have to meet someone who is likely into other nefarious activities in a secretive place to get it. The hard core dealers may stay in business, but they would surely lose some customers. It would also help clear out some of our justice system of people who are otherwise law-abiding citizens and free up a portion of our War On Drugs assets to be made better use of elsewhere.

Money- If weed were taxed like alcohol, I could see a ton of revenue which always seems to be necessary for this country.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Tough call. A lot of the people I see and have to put with are stupid enough already, and these are adults. And don't get me started on the youth of today. To each his own.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Tough call. A lot of the people I see and have to put with are stupid enough already, and these are adults. And don't get me started on the youth of today. To each his own.
    oh so true.
    Yes, it will.
    The .gov will eat the tax $ and it will never go where they "promised" it would. (i.e. Lottery income)

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you could completely drive out the profit by making it completely accessible (not talking about any societal concerns, etc) then you can reduce the black market for anything, and the associated violence generally. That said, taxing it and avoiding the associated taxes can create a black market in itself.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    There are enough null and void people in the world already. With that said if it could help with cancer patients or PTSD I'm good with it. The American farmer could grow it like crazy, but the government will screw it up if it becomes legal.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Will it happen? Yes, should it happen? Maybe. A lot of folk i hear yelling legalize it already use it and dont realize that if the gov gets involved it wont be the experience they think itll be.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Source?

Not calling you out or insinuating you're lying, just feeling too brain-lazy to look it up.

Any news outlet? Public record? He is talking about the fact that multiple states have already legalized.

Right. Indiana will make a push this next session for medical marijuana. A number of already passed it and a subset of them have also passed recreational use. Like with alcohol prohibition, once enough states thumb their nose at the Feds, the Feds will abandon the field.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    On the federal level...I dunno. Fact is there's a huge LEO-industrial complex whose existence and funding is dependent on weed remaining illegal. Hundreds of thousands of jobs dedicated to investigating, hunting, arresting, prosecuting, incarcerating, and treating users. Courts are funded by restitution fees extracted from users. Police departments are funded by steal-uh, I mean, seizing the property of users. The owners of for-profit treatment centers who rent their inmates out for free labor spend lavishly on campaign contributions with the expectation of courts continuing to force users into said treatment centers. There's a colossus of money and vested interests behind marijuana prohibition. "But it's a good idea" don't mean anything in comparison to that.

As for Indiana...this'll be the last place in the union to go along with legalization.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On the federal level...I dunno. Fact is there's a huge LEO-industrial complex whose existence and funding is dependent on weed remaining illegal. Hundreds of thousands of jobs dedicated to investigating, hunting, arresting, prosecuting, incarcerating, and treating users. Courts are funded by restitution fees extracted from users. Police departments are funded by steal-uh, I mean, seizing the property of users. The owners of for-profit treatment centers who rent their inmates out for free labor spend lavishly on campaign contributions with the expectation of courts continuing to force users into said treatment centers. There's a colossus of money and vested interests behind marijuana prohibition. "But it's a good idea" don't mean anything in comparison to that.

As for Indiana...this'll be the last place in the union to go along with legalization.

Pretty much on point.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Give this man a medal

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you could completely drive out the profit by making it completely accessible (not talking about any societal concerns, etc) then you can reduce the black market for anything, and the associated violence generally. That said, taxing it and avoiding the associated taxes can create a black market in itself.

The number 9 strain in Denver Colorado is Jelly bean. Cost per gram $7.09 add the tax of 15 precent and total paid 8.15 cents a gram.
    Local ounce price for jelly bean (or so I am told ) 420 an ounce. That equals 15 a gram or nearly double on the shady market.

Now when you drop out of the top 10/20 strains in Colorado prices drop nearly half or more than half for medical strains. 4.20 a gram.

Local ounce price rice for non top 10/20 strains (or so I am told) is 150-200 and ounce. 5.35 a gram to 7.14 a gram.

So currently legal pot with the taxes paid is less expensive than illegal local shady market price.

Now ow I am sure those connected out in the Denver area are not paying taxes on all the product grown. So a connected person on the shady market in Denver would be most likely paying much less that the 7.09 a gram and not paying taxes on that. What I am saying is that legal weed on the high end scotch whiskey style market is less expensive in legal states than in the Midwest illegal states.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

And, if weed becomes legal, almost every drug-sniffing dog in the state suddenly becomes obsolete.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The most important question is, are you going to try it once it becomes legal?

I highly doubt it. But if I had a condition for which it can be of some benefit, I would take some if my doctor recommended it. But since I don't currently have one of those, I would get kicked out of the military, and I don't like being under the influence of anything stronger than caffeine, I don't see myself partaking.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    The problem I have with legalization is measuring a way to determine a driver's level of intoxication. Until there is a way to set a level at when someone should no longer be driving like there is with alcohol, I am hesitant to support legalization.

Top Bottom