• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I was just wondering if anyone can tell me the easiest and cheapest way to accept CC payment from someone over the phone or email? I usually use Square but they charge me 3.5% for keyed in cards, and this is a large payment that I didn't realize would be a charge card before I priced work. Kind of hate to give Square $200-300 for processing a payment.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Paypal charges 3-3.5% unless you "gift" it, which you loose protection, and I bet they'd flag such an amount.

To my knowledge everything that involves a CC there will be a 3-3.5% processing fee

Only thing I could think of would be a wire transfer, still a charge, but definitely less than 3.5%

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Be careful of fake money orders.

heck, there's no protection with credit card anyway. If it's a fake card and you shipped goods or did the service you are screwed unless you can find and sue the person.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Use Square, but send an invoice. It's only $0.30 & 2.75% when they pay with the link in the invoice. That will save some $, but still cost you.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I appreciate your responses. Didn't think there was much of a way to do it any cheaper. Kind of tough that the payee is out of state so I have to key in card info. Guess I need to start noting that is cash/check price, add 3% for CC.

Thanks again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I appreciate your responses. Didn't think there was much of a way to do it any cheaper. Kind of tough that the payee is out of state so I have to key in card info. Guess I need to start noting that is cash/check price, add 3% for CC.

Thanks again.

Yup. You have to CYA on a CC these days.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

Thanks again.

The best way to phrase it, so as to not run afoul of the CC rules is to offer a cash discount vs. an upcharge for using a CC. Not that it matters a whole lot, but retailers can get in trouble with the CC processor and the CC companies for charging higher % for CC users.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The best way to phrase it, so as to not run afoul of the CC rules is to offer a cash discount vs. an upcharge for using a CC. Not that it matters a whole lot, but retailers can get in trouble with the CC processor and the CC companies for charging higher % for CC users.
    Not anymore, that provision was removed when they restructured credit and debit card rules and fees several years back. It is now ok to charge a fee, or impose a minimum on Cc/Dc transactions.

Top Bottom