• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I know we have several members of Korean ancestry and INGO members who may have served with like the 2ID in RoK so maybe someone knows the answer here. As well, please understand I mean no offense but I honestly do not know or understand what I saw this weekend so I'll just ask it.

At Korean restaurant in Lafayette this weekend. Twice I observed young females (college age I believe, likely F1/F2s) signal to the waiter by holding their fist to their foreheads. The waiter (also of Korean heritage) stopped and spoke with the table.

Is this fist against the head a cultural manual communication/gesture or did I see something that was not there?

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    9850d96f6474941c2098239176cd4b7c--birthday-memes-happy-birthday.jpg

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    More Soju?
    That one is not used by my side of the fence. Maybe it is meant as: You bring more bulgogi and kimchee or I put this upside your coconut!!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The ROK was about 25 years ago for me, but I don't remember seeing anything like that. I met more GIs with Korean spouses than those with spouses from Kentucky and Kansas combined (see what I did there?) and I never saw this in any setting here in the States either.

Gesturing for someone to "come here" was done with fingers downward, all fingers extended. Otherwise is was quite disrespectful.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    More Soju?
    That one is not used by my side of the fence. Maybe it is meant as: You bring more bulgogi and kimchee or I put this upside your coconut!!

I was hoping you would reply, Dave. Thanks much. Maybe it's a younger set thing? From a Kpop video maybe?

I would check but if I listen to one Kpop video I have to listen to Deep Purple for at least 2 hours to balance my qi.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Gesturing for someone to "come here" was done with fingers downward, all fingers extended. Otherwise is was quite disrespectful.

Sure, that's the Chinese way. But the fist to the forehead really has me stumped.

I may have to go back and ask. Geez, how embarrassing is that going to be.:ugh:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Sure, that's the Chinese way. But the fist to the forehead really has me stumped.

I may have to go back and ask. Geez, how embarrassing is that going to be.:ugh:

Maybe it means, "You can't see me." This would mean you want more Soju (per KokomoDave) since the 4th stage of the soju experience is invisibility.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I tried using my Google-Fu on this one but couldn't find anything.

All I found that a fist to the forehead could be an insult in Brazil. :scratch:

Of course you could just go back, do the gesture, and see what happens. :):
    Maybe it means "more noodles" or it's a way to let your waiter know that you fancy him and want his phone number.
    Who knows.

Something like that?

rude-hand-gestures-2%25255B3%25255D.jpg

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Maybe it means, "You can't see me." This would mean you want more Soju (per KokomoDave) since the 4th stage of the soju experience is invisibility.

From Wikipedia: Soju (/ˈsoʊdʒuː/; from Korean: 소주; 燒酒 [so.dʑu]) is a clear, colorless distilled beverage of Korean origin.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP] It is usually consumed neat, and its alcohol content varies from about 16.8% to 53% alcohol by volume (ABV).[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5]
    [/SUP]

So you reach the 4th stage by about the second or third shot, I would guess...

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Back in my drinking days we preferred 'pimp juice' made in North Carolina when we were in Hotlanta for Blade. I passed on many a bottle of Soju for the 'recipe' in my favorite peach flavor with real fruit in it.
    Ah, the good ole days!!

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    It's like ordering an angel shot at Hooters. It means, "that creepy white guy is making me nervous. Please make sure I get out of here without being abducted."

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    :popcorn:

There's some smokin hot Korean coeds in my neighborhood. One of them drives a Maserati.

I know that a Maserati is cool any everything...but a Genesis will actually retain more value, perform better, and not see the inside of the shop....and is patriotic for Korean co-eds.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom