• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I had my alarm set for 5:30 this morning, planning to have my oatmeal and coffee before I went out deer hunting. I apparently slept through my alarm, but received a text at 6 am followed by a phone call from the neighbor that she had seen my dog out in the road. Our outdoor dogs have Invisible Fence and only left once before when they were running off coyotes. I grabbed the jeans I had worn the night before and a jacket. By the time I got dressed and got out there, I could not find them. So I put some leashes and treats in the truck and set out looking.

I drove up and down the road and into our fields, calling them and shining a bright flashlight anywhere I could trying to pick up their eyes or their white fur. Eventually I was going down a lightly-used gravel road, driving slowly, and shining the field on both sides. When a car came up behind me I pulled over to let him pass but instead found he was sporting red and blue lights, plus the spotlight that was then aimed at me.

My pre-coffee light bulb came on and I realized that someone shining lights in the fields on a country road pre-sunrise looked like someone shining deer. To add to that impression, I was driving an old rusty pickup truck.

The conservation officer definitely approached me cautiously. His light was so bright I could not tell if he had his hand on his sidearm, but his angle of approach suggested that he did. He of course does not know he was approaching a 50 year old woman looking for her dogs but probably thinks he has a good old boy poacher.

After I quickly told him what I was doing, he shone his light in my truck and could see the dog leashes and no long gun. He asked my name and then went back to his car for just a moment (I'm not sure why except maybe to assure someone on the other end that all was well. He didn't stay there more than a few seconds). I then asked him if he would let me know if he saw 2 large white dogs, and I gave him my phone number.

Anyway.... had I not overslept I would have been in hunting clothes and probably had a rifle with me. Whether or not I could have convinced him by showing him my neighbor's text about the dogs, or whether the rifle would have caused me to be arrested and then left me to make my case in court, I don't know.

I'm just glad I overslept.

Oh... and the dogs came back with a frozen deer leg and a couple of minor wounds. I'm suspecting this was sadly due to a wounded deer from our neighbors who take a LOT of shots but get few deer. The dogs likely went after the coyotes who were after the deer carcass. So far my dogs are more successful at deer hunting this year than i am.

Last edited:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I drove up and down the road and into our fields, calling them and shining a bright flashlight anywhere I could . . .
    My pre-coffee light bulb came on and I realized that someone shining lights in the fields on a country road pre-sunrise looked like someone shining deer. To add to that impression, I was driving an old rusty pickup truck.
    The conservation officer definitely approached me cautiously. His light was so bright I could not tell if he had his hand on his sidearm, but his angle of approach suggested that he did. He of course does not know he was approaching a 50 year old woman looking for her dogs but probably thinks he has a good old boy poacher.
    After I quickly told him what I was doing, he shone his light in my truck and could see the dog leashes and no long gun (there was no need for me to mention the pistol on my hip as it was covered by my jacket and irrelevant to this situation anyway. ).

You were very lucky that the CO did not see your sidearm, & I don't think it was "irrelevant to the situation". The way I understand it, being in possession of a firearm (ANY firearm) while shining a light from a vehicle is a ticketable offense. A friend of mine even got a ticket for having an UNLOADED shotgun in his truck while shining a light from it. The CO searched his truck and he had NO SHELLS for the shotgun. My friend decided to fight the ticket, but in the end, he STILL had to pay.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    You were very lucky that the CO did not see your sidearm, & I don't think it was "irrelevant to the situation". The way I understand it, being in possession of a firearm (ANY firearm) while shining a light from a vehicle is a ticketable offense. A friend of mine even got a ticket for having an UNLOADED shotgun in his truck while shining a light from it. The CO searched his truck and he had NO SHELLS for the shotgun. My friend decided to fight the ticket, but in the end, he STILL had to pay.
    Um... wow .... I did not know that. Maybe I should adjust my post and maybe you wouldn't mind adjusting the quote?

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Um... wow .... I did not know that. Maybe I should adjust my post and maybe you wouldn't mind adjusting the quote?

If you really want me to, I will be glad to alter my post. However, it is now after the fact and I doubt that they can / would do anything. It may be more important to leave the post "as is" to help educate others and protect them from a potential mistake. The call is yours.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Revenue stream. That is all I can say here. Any reason is all they need. Not all CO's are this way of course but I have heard some story's.
    Walking the woods at a friends property in search of Coyote. Carrying an AR a few years ago before center fire was acceptable for deer. Not hunting deer. CO and I had a spirited conversation. Property owner showed up and things got even more spirited. No tickets were issued but we were constantly reminded of his powers to confiscate.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    If you really want me to, I will be glad to alter my post. However, it is now after the fact and I doubt that they can / would do anything. It may be more important to leave the post "as is" to help educate others and protect them from a potential mistake. The call is yours.
    Okay, fair enough. It's not like I admitted to doing anything to harm anyone and was certainly (obviously) not poaching. I do agree with Churchmouse that if an officer wrote a ticket in such a situation it would be outside the intent of the law. But what scares me more is that had I been actually ready to go out hunting when the neighbor called, I would not have thought for a second about the fact I might be seen as a poacher (ie if I had the long gun with me). When you aren't in the habit of intentionally doing something wrong, you aren't in the habit of thinking what will get you arrested or ticketed.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I believe the law is no "weapons"....meaning not even archery equipment in the vehicle while shining. And turning the corner slowly and using headlights even for a split second can be written as shining from what I hear.

Regardless, OP, glad your dogs are back. Sounds like they don't need fed today either.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I believe the law is no "weapons"....meaning not even archery equipment in the vehicle while shining. And turning the corner slowly and using headlights even for a split second can be written as shining from what I hear.

What about a big arse hunting knife? Or chainsaw? Heck, a rock is a weapon . . . . .

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    It is illegal to shine a spotlight, searchlight or other artificial light for the purpose of taking, attempting to take or assisting another person to take a deer, or to shine such a light while in possession of a firearm, bow or crossbow.
    It also is illegal for a person to deliberately cast a spotlight or other artificial light from a motor vehicle if in possession of a firearm, bow or crossbow.

Top Bottom