• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've never understood this. When you hunt you need an accurate shot to bring down an animal which by default means you should be able to see the animal.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Some idiot on FB tried to put the Dick Cheny accident in the same category as this. No, that was not the same. He just happened to be in the line of fire of a passing bird when old Dick squeezed it off as he swept the guy. HE wasnt the target.

But a person being shot is always the same. :rolleyes:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Deer season! Every year! Want to see how it could happen? Go to a public range on a weekend a couple of weeks before the season starts. Idiots gather there to shoot the rifles they got for Christmas last year and haven't shot since. Then they disperse into the woods to shoot at anything that moves.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Deer season! Every year! Want to see how it could happen? Go to a public range on a weekend a couple of weeks before the season starts. Idiots gather there to shoot the rifles they got for Christmas last year and haven't shot since. Then they disperse into the woods to shoot at anything that moves.

An INGOer I also know on FB said a guy came in the shop the evening before opening morning, bought a gun and a scope, bore sighted in there at the shop, and headed out to go hunting in the morning. :n00b:

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    He did admit to taking the shot after sunset. It's at least a start maybe.

Was that information from another news source? Didn't see admission on his part in the article linked above.

Have no doubt that I believe the hunter is responsible for the error of his shot, but at the same time wonder if the color of her clothing and the presence of the dogs out in the field contributed to the hunter mistaking his target. Guess I'm trying to say I have yet to see a deer wearing hunter orange (cap or vest) while out for a walk during season. While we may never know if it would have saved her life; it could save someone else's life reading this.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Indiana DNR Dist 7 had a picture of a guy out in camo, sitting on a tree, playing on his phone less than a week ago. Please wear orange if you are out in the woods during hunting season. It does not mean you will not get shot but does lessen the chance.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Back in the day(22years ago) i had a cousin in law that would come down to arkansas every year, and that idiot would shoot at anything closely resembling brown no matter how far away and he used crappy open sights on his 22-250 that was loaded with the cheapest ammo he could find. Needless to say when he stopped coming , everyone was happy. Theirs just some of these fools out their. I wear orange ALL hunting season, whether im hunting or not when in the woods.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    "Know your target, and what lies beyond"

Doesn't seem like that's too difficult.
    I read a story a few years back about a woman being shot while unloading groceries from the trunk of her car, in her own driveway.
    The person responsible said they saw the "white flash" of her gloves and thought it was the white tail of a deer.
    so sad.

Many years ago, when I first started deer hunting, I passed on a shot because I could not POSITIVELY identify my target.
    I was told the property I was hunting on had horses grazing in the fields.
    At last light I saw what looked like a deer, but I couldn't be sure it wasn't a horse.
    By the time I saw the white tail flash it was too late to get a good shot.

Top Bottom