• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Ended up being rushed to the hospital from work about a week ago. Long story short they though I was having a stroke. Slurred speech, was not paralyzed but could not do anything that required any strength. Bad memory problems and remembering what certain objects are.

Still getting lots lots of tests done over a month later, they still don’t know what’s going on.... I started loosing my train of thought more after a work related concussion years ago and now it’s worse. Getting a 24hr EEG soon, already had a 30min EEG, cat scan, cat with contrast, two MRI’s, blood work, balance test.

People tell me fairly often that they can tell I’m about to slur my speech and then stop, sometimes I can remember what happened yesterday fairly easy, other times it takes a while to remember.

Anyone ever have medical related memory issues and if so what did you do to try an help it? Right now I have friends that a day later or a few days later will ask me what we talked about and stuff like that.

For a while they thought it was MS.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I was electrocuted about 9 years ago. I spent 3 1/2 days in a coma. I have permanent short term memory loss and left side weakness. It is getting worse as I age. If I get to tired I can't bring my words forward. I know what to say. I just can't bring it forward. I have issues sometime when I go out and am driving. I can not tell where I am or remember what I am doing. It takes 4-5 minutes to get myself orientated. But it (so far) has been manageable. I do drive less these days.

I have been to a physiologist and a neurologist. For me there is no medical treatment. It is brain damage. But I can tell you that you can live with it and function really well with some simple reminders and help from those around you. I leave myself lots of notes. People that are close to me know my problem. I have shared it with them. They help me remember. events and things, If someone does not understand your issues, cut them loose. Seriously. It is way to hard deal with people that don't want to understand your issues.

As someone that lives with it I can recommend that you face it like any challenge. Ignoring it and not letting those around you know what is going on is not helpful. I get a lot of help, reminder ph calls etc. Communicate your issues with those around you. They will deal with it better if they know.

If you would like to talk please feel free to PM me your ph# and I would be more then glad to talk any time. I am living it everyday. And have been for many years.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Have any of you consulted with Speech pathologist? They might be able to teach you guys some brain exercises that helps the adjacent neurons of the damaged area to adapt.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That's a bit odd. Did you have a bad head injury a while ago? Concussion effects can return during times of stress, physical or emotional. Any history of odd migraines?

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Back in 2000. A couple of weeks after the cat lab visit from CHF, I could not remember what High School I graduated from.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Neurologist and two ER docs have no clue what it is. They say they know what it is then I keep naming more symptoms and it throws them for a loop. I get migraines but from what I can tell they are dehydration related. I had the concussion from the wreck at work years ago that I told you about. They said it was a mild to moderate one but since I did not loose conciseness that they would not do a CT or anything. That was 3-4 years ago.

They asked that morning of i fell I fell and hit my head. Asked me many times. I know I did not. I have been under a to. Of stress last few years. I thought it was medication related because I accidentally doubled a dose for f meds for a few days but they did blood work and said that med was really really low in my system.

I would look at something like a light switch and would know what it was but could not remember the name... after 3-4 seconds I would know it. Now it’s hit and miss, sometimes it happens, sometimes it does not. They are thinking I could be having mini baby strokes that are causing my issues and brain to keep reseting. The buddy of mine that had the brain injury from the motorcycle wreck has the same issues but far worse.

They are aware of my wreck years ago.

That's a bit odd. Did you have a bad head injury a while ago? Concussion effects can return during times of stress, physical or emotional. Any history of odd migraines?[/Q

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I had quite a few of those same symptoms back in 2010 and it ended up that I had viral meningitis. I was getting the migraines, muscle weakness and memory problems. Essentially a bad brain infection.the only way to test for it was a spinal tap. I ended up in a coma for 5 days. Might want to be something to ask about

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Are you taking statin drugs. They will help with your cholesterol but you won't know who you are. I'll pass on that. Start taking L-charnosine. Have them check you testosterone levels. If you are taking lots of RX drugs it could be an interaction. Take as few RX drugs as possible. Good luck!

Top Bottom