• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I have been looking into wireless home security camera systems and am not really getting anywhere. What I am looking for are 100% wireless systems. I want WIFI battery powered cameras. Where I am wanting to put them would be a real chore to run power cables. I can find the wifi systems all over the place but am having a hard time finding the battery powered ones. Anyone out there have this type of system, and if so what brand are you using and how do you like it? Any help would be appreciated.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Don't do it if you can do a little work to avoid them. Or do a split between most wire and some wireless as needed.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I purchased a wired system last year, I was concerned about quality and hackability with a wireless signal. I would like to be able to access the system remotely one of these days though!

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    1. battery life
    2. Great against the common thief but not against someone will a little sophistication.
    3. Some wireless still require wires for power. At that point just make it all wired.
    4. Cost
    5. Image quality.
    Battery life gets to be a PIA after a while. Needs regular maintenance vs a wired system that will chug along for years with no maintenance.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I take care of 100's of camera's on a high security building or buildings.

I wrote a huge reply to this with tips and hints. Seems this iPhone 5 times out or something.

Pm me with real questions or we can talk.

If you want outdoor security cam without power I would not recommend it. It will fail when you need it. Look at a lens and zoom that will cover the location you need from where you can get power and run cables.

also remember that outdoor cams placed on say a pole or high advantage location is very welcoming to lighting strikes. We prefer to use fiber to the head end and cam. Converting it back to copper (light poles ) when not if you get a strike it takes out the camera or power supply fuses maybe the converter but not the head end.

Pm me with any question. We can exchange phone numbers

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Arlo pro by net gear. So far I’ve had good luck.. comes with free limited monitoring and support. Rechargeable and weatherproof and expandable somewhat. I have had one instance in 7 months of usage for approx 6-8 hrs i lost access and it was on Black Friday. Batteries last 2.5-3 months depending on how often you actively view them. Range and resolution is pretty good and you get text and email alerts when motion or excessive sound is detected.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Ring.com has wireless versions. The doorbell/camera combo claims "up to a year" for battery between charges, don't remember what the battery powered cameras (without doorbell) is supposed to last. Looking at them for myself, know two people who have the doorbell cameras and are happy with them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ring.com has wireless versions. The doorbell/camera combo claims "up to a year" for battery between charges, don't remember what the battery powered cameras (without doorbell) is supposed to last. Looking at them for myself, know two people who have the doorbell cameras and are happy with them.

I know several who have gone this way. All are pleased.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I have the Ring doorbell and can highly recommend it. They also have outdoor cameras that are plug in or battery operated. We are looking at them also...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    anyone have a preferred model of camera? I am looking for something to view the house. I have some TriVision bullet cams that initally worked well but now one of the IR cut filters is stuck in place and it destroyed my night vision. Sigh. I need a few more cams for the rest of the outside.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PoE150S-Injector-Adapter-compliant/dp/B001PS9E5I

what about a POE injector? Then you are just running your Cat6 cable and then can split it out at the other end?

This. IP cameras are the way to go. (provided your NVR can handle them, if not buy new) No more siamese cables, limited resolution of analog, etc.

My next setup will be Hikvision (yes, yes, I know, cheap Chinese, kicked out of US govt sites due to Chicom boogiemen and theoretical backdoors, etc) cameras. 4MP night vision with illuminators that outrun the effective resolution/distance. I borrowed one from work and could see 50 yards into my neighbor's pitch black yard.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    What do you think about using my PC software to control cams and recording to a NAS RAID setup?

i’m using Blue Iris. If a dedicated NVR is better I can do that.

also, are you good af disassembling bullet cams and remove IR filter? :):

Thoughts on dome vs bullet? If you just want a wide view is dome way to go?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What do you think about using my PC software to control cams and recording to a NAS RAID setup?

i’m using Blue Iris. If a dedicated DVR is better I can do that.

A dedicated DVR is best. Software is OK. My home server runs my NVR software since it sits idle and and the processor is idle anyway; it doesnt take any horsepower to serve files to clients. I also started to look into the Netgear implementation of CCTV/NVR on their NAS boxes, but they charge for the annual camera licenses. I think Western Digital does the same thing but their licenses are a one time hit. (At least that is what I recall a netgear user yelling on the forums about, complaining how we have to pay but others dont)

I really wish Ubiquiti would get off their butts and produce better cameras. I like their setup, but they are stuck on 1mp cameras, which are starting to lag in the industry. (and the Hiks are about $30 more for 4x the resolution)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Assume nothing.

And as an aside, LED and CFL absolutely SUCK at helping night vision cameras. Unlike traditional bulbs that are full spectrum, LED/CFL dont typically have much waste energy in the IR spectrum as they put out a more pure visible light. I noticed it when I switched my floods. I went from decent NV to HORRID. Before I could see better on cam then I could with the naked eye. After the lumen increase of going to CFL it was the exact opposite. At first I thought my cameras were failing, then I thought about it and realized what was going on.

And try to find turret cams instead of bullets or domes. Turrents put the illuminators beside the lens instead of arround it. That leads to less distortion and glare due to dirty lenses. It also has a weird side effect; bugs are no longer attracted to the lens area. So for instance a spider is more likely to target the illuminator and not the lens, so you wont have to worry about having to clean the lens as much.

https://us.hikvision.com/en/product...mp-outdoor-network-turret-camera-ds-2cd2352-i

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    FWIW, We run BI. Its been rockin for 4-5+ years on a dedicated W7 machine.

Starting to think about upgrading some old IP cams that keep on ticking. Would like to have better resolution.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Our HikVision cameras and NVR were easy to set up and have great motion detection.
    That being said, they will randomly stop working and require us to power cycle the camera to get them back.

This usually happens on the longer runs with mid span POE injectors.

Top Bottom