• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    I bought a "just for fun" car this year and this will be my first winter putting a vehicle into storage. I was wondering if anyone here who stores a vehicle over winter has any advice for a newb like me. My garage is detached, not heated and uninsulated.

So far I have done the following:
    -Aluminum foil in the exhaust tips and dryer sheets throughout the engine bay and interior to thwart mice from infiltrating,
    -Moisture absorbing packs to keep humidity low.
    -battery tender.
    -wash and cover up with a car cover.

Stay warm everybody!

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    you're above and beyond already, mice won't be an issue in a non heated detached anyway, they'll look for something warmer. whatcha got anyway?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Only thing I can add is gas stabilizer, I would take the battery out and bring it inside to put on a tender.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Before you covered the exhaust, did you treat the gas with a preservative (Stabil, etc.) and run it long enough to get through the system?

I have also placed the car on jackstands to unload the suspension and keep the tires off the ground...but that's overkill.

I agree with Leadeye about bringing the battery inside if possible.

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    you're above and beyond already, mice won't be an issue in a non heated detached anyway, they'll look for something warmer. whatcha got anyway?

It's a 2002 Z06 Vette. Part of my American dream! I've lived here for 2 years now and so far no evidence of mice in the garage. I'd say it probably stays about 10 degrees warmer in there than the outside temps, or at least it feels that way to me. I hadn't thought about the lack of heat keeping mice out, but that sure does bring me some peace of mind.

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    I agree with Leadeye about bringing the battery inside if possible.

I had planned on this, but I though I read something about lack of power for extended periods can confuse the EBCM on the car and cause more problems than it's worth. I'll look into it and see if that can be validated. I'd rather not have the battery outside and in the car for storage. The battery box is right above the main computer and wiring harness for the car. Some of the ACDelco side post batteries in my model and year range were known to leak and it's pretty much game over once those components are soaked with acid.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Im storing a harley and my wifes 2017 malibu. I pretty much just parked the malibu to keep it out of the salt. The harley is in my man cave on a motorcycle jack. Id say as long as you add some sort of gas treatment and keep a battery tender on it, youll be fine.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    The other option is to disconnect your battery. No need for a tender and the charge should still be solid in the spring. I buy the marine grade stabil as it is more concentrated than the base version. Also, I will take one good last drive for the year, get everything good an warm use some fogging oil in the intake, pull the plugs and fog them, and then change the oil.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I think the steps taken to mouse proof the car are great but I would still throw down a few glue traps and maybe think about some mouse bait just to be sure.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I quit using stabil. Instead I mix SeaFoam in the gas just a little strong. A battery maintainer that cycles itself on and off as needed. One of the ones that charge full time are not what you want. Next year prior to storing, find a gas station that sells alcohol free gas for your last fill ups. Make sure the tank is full.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I had gotten into a Saturn in my driveway a few years back. I had the engine taken apart enough to remove the head, then winter's cold came on a little sooner than I thought it would.

All I did was throw a poly tarp over the thing and weight it down on the bottom with bricks. In the spring, I pulled off the tarp, installed the repaired head and other stuff and she fired right up. I admit I was surprised it started at all with all the stuff I'd taken off and put back on to that engine. Funny thing, when I sold the car, I considered giving the guy the Chiltons Manual I had used, but then, looking at how dog-eared and grease-smudged so many of the pages were, I decided not to do that.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I store my wifes BMW every winter after the first use of road salt and don't take it out of storage until we have had a few good rains to wash the salt away. Don't forget to call your insurance agent and suspend the driving part of your insurance. I think I end up paying about $5 a month to protect it from theft and natural disasters. Then in the spring, you simply call your agent and have them reinstate your full insurance.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I noticed some type of rodent had been nibbling on some insulation under the hood of my car this fall...

Ty-wrapped a dispenser of Tom-kat cake by his cable of choice for him to have for dessert. Eat up little buddy.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I store my wifes BMW every winter after the first use of road salt and don't take it out of storage until we have had a few good rains to wash the salt away. Don't forget to call your insurance agent and suspend the driving part of your insurance. I think I end up paying about $5 a month to protect it from theft and natural disasters. Then in the spring, you simply call your agent and have them reinstate your full insurance.

Another good piece of advice.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Many new cars have wires that are no longer coated with oil based plastic but now use Soy Bean derivative insulation. Mice and rats love the stuff. Google it any you would be surprised at the number of law suits against manufacturers using soy based insulation where vermin have caused many thousands of dollars of damage. Some of the air ducts are also now soy based, so mice love them too.

Honda has found that mice and rats don't like cayenne pepper and now make a tape to wrap wires with that does a good job keeping mice away.

My daughter found out the hard way that rats love modern wires. Covered by insurance but still not nice to find under your hood and in your dash. Don't know if Chevy used the soy based wires back when your Vette was made, but I would look into it.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I quit using stabil. Instead I mix SeaFoam in the gas just a little strong. A battery maintainer that cycles itself on and off as needed. One of the ones that charge full time are not what you want. Next year prior to storing, find a gas station that sells alcohol free gas for your last fill ups. Make sure the tank is full.

Any reason you switched to Seafoam over stabil? I use both for different things, but Stabil is usually a better deal as far as quantity and dilution are concerned.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I have stored my trucks every winter, never used fuel stabilizer, just a full tank of fuel.

Mice got in my last truck in the unheated garage, stunk, would have done something different had I known.

The garage gets wet and my brake pads were rusted to the rotors last spring.

Top Bottom