• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have been deprived since Oct, not being able to go to the range b/c of selling and buying a house (after 28 yrs. in the same place), and trying to get settled: there being 1000 different things to do.
    I have bought 4 or 5 different guns during that time (and trying to buy a Ruger 6 shot SS .357 this pm), but I can't get to the range to play with any of them (S/W .380 & SD9VE and a couple of Beretta tilt-up barrels, another .32 and a .21, and a Ruger .22 single action 6 shot with the magnum cylinder with it).
    My daughter is going to get me some range time at Point Blank, I believe for Xmas, but I had this brilliant idea:
    why can't I take some guns and ammo with me and go to a range down in Nashville, TN when I have nothing to do (especially no house duties)?
    As long as I have the guns in the car and the ammo in the trunk: no problem?
    Or, if I have guns and ammo in a different bags, but both in the car or trunk, is that OK?
    I figure someone here will know these things w/o me calling the police down there, and them investigating me to see if they have a terrorist coming in to visit family. :laugh:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    As long as I have the guns in the car and the ammo in the trunk: no problem?
    Or, if I have guns and ammo in a different bags, but both in the car or trunk, is that OK?

Federal transport across states is guns unloaded, in trunk (not in passenger compartment), and ammo separate.

Federal law text...
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Depends on the state. From here, going south to TN you're fine.

Handgunlaw.us

1. Thanks so much!
    2. Looks like I could even carry if I wanted.
    3. I was mostly concerned with what would happen if there was an accident and the police found guns and ammo the car: wouldn't want to lose it all.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Federal transport across states is guns unloaded, in trunk (not in passenger compartment), and ammo separate.

Federal law text...
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if,
    during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and
    neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

1. Sounds like the guns and ammo can both be in the trunk, just in different containers/bags.
    2 And, they do not have to be in a locked container since they are in the trunk and not readily accessible to the driver.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yep, carried in TN many times. There used to be some interesting stuff about bar areas in restaurants, and no idea if that still stands or not (no family in TN any longer so haven't worried much about it other than trips through TN recently).

I just did similar on a trip to ATL. Went shooting with my son and BIL when we went down there for Thanksgiving, and my son came over from Bama.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That's a long drive just to plink.

1. Yes, I'm such a man of leisure, I like to go to the Southern states for my shooting. :dunno:
    2. Actually, all this started when I was in college in Searcy, Arkansas, after I was married.
    3. I can remember my best friend (big hunter) talking about having a revolver to shoot snakes when trying to go fishing when in college.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yep, carried in TN many times. There used to be some interesting stuff about bar areas in restaurants, and no idea if that still stands or not (no family in TN any longer so haven't worried much about it other than trips through TN recently).

I just did similar on a trip to ATL. Went shooting with my son and BIL when we went down there for Thanksgiving, and my son came over from Bama.

1. I hope to take my son-in-law and even my son to go shooting.
    2. I'd really like to take my son's new wife to the range, since she didn't grow up around guns and won't let him have one at the house for defense, to help her get over the "mystique" of guns so she could realize they are just a tool.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    2. I'd really like to take my son's new wife to the range, since she didn't grow up around guns and won't let him have one at the house for defense, to help her get over the "mystique" of guns so she could realize they are just a tool.

My wife was like that. However, it never stopped me from owning, carrying, etc. Took her a while to see that I made no big deal out of it and it was just part of life, like a pocket knife or cell phone for me. She'd never carry or probably pick one up, and so I don't leave any around for her "use", but is comfortable with me doing so and not paranoid about it as she was in younger years. My suggestion to him is not to yield on owning, shooting, etc, but not to put it front and center, etc with her.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville

Its OK. She just needs to remember to inform the armed home invader of her "no gun policy" before he enters. That should stop any wrong doings on the invaders part.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Get them to the range once then the problem is they want their own guns. There are worse problems to have.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Its OK. She just needs to remember to inform the armed home invader of her "no gun policy" before he enters. That should stop any wrong doings on the invaders part.

1. Tell me about it. I'm as peaceful as anyone you would know, but if someone is in my home at night (or any other time), it's is too late for negotiation at that point, which is why I have a loaded gun here and there in my house. (I have no children in the house, and when/if I do, they get unloaded and put up, and brought out after they are gone). When I was younger I thought I could beat any man in a fight (like most young men), but at 65 I no longer have such delusions. :dunno: I doubt I could beat my wife in a fair fight at this point (sorry, bad humor, but if you knew my wife you'd see the humor: kindergarten teacher type).
    2. I want my own wife to go to the range and know how to pull the trigger on a revolver, but no. (When we were first married I taught her how to shoot a .22 Army Luger and she could hit those cans with excellence (she never was so attractive to me :laugh:).
    3. I originally bought a Taurus revolver for my son's home protection after he brought it up, but since his wife didn't want that "danger" around, I sold it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Get them to the range once then the problem is they want their own guns. There are worse problems to have.

1. Yes, I hope to entice all my family (I have my son-in-law on board, and my daughter would probably be an easy sell if she lived in state) eventually.
    2. It would be nice to have the problem of, "Hey, return that .38 to me and buy your own!"
    3. Shoot! (all puns intended) I would buy them guns for birthday/Xmas: you know how much fun I have buying and selling.
    4. I keep looking every day, and almost buy something every week, but at my price point ($200ish, $300ish tops) most things are gone before I get to them.
    5. The Beretta tilt-ups cost too much, but I have one or two of every caliber now, at least, but would like nickel or stainless as an upgrade.
    6. When I think of buying something, I compare it to what I have, which is all Smith and Wesson of every caliber except .40, and from my research, I should stay with the .45, and I think I'm fine for now even though there are a bevy of ones I'd like to try but the ones I have I have so little in them that I don't think I'll do any better in value.
    7. I would like more .22s, but they cost too much, ha! for what you get. My most expensive gun ($642 w/tax) is a Ruger GP100 SS 10 shot revolver.
    8. My Smith 45 only cost $320 with ammo, and my Smith 9mm $280, and my Smith 380 $200, and my Smith SD9VE $250 with 5 magazines.
    9. Hard to spend $$ on a 22. There was/is a Taurus with both cylinders that I wanted but I just didn't want it for the price (don't even remember now).
    10. Since I have so many Smiths I would like the M&P 22 that they sell, but it never goes as cheap as the Ruger SR or Walther

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ah, I mentioned to my favorite son-in-law about bringing some guns and ammo with me, and he said it was TN: plenty of places to shoot! :rockwoot:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Do you not have a LTCH?

1. Of course, but being a newbie, I'm not up on which states allow with it and which don't.
    2. When I had a carry license back in the 80s and 90s, I never carried out of state, and I just got back into guns last May, so there is much I don't know.

Top Bottom