• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I just wanted to post something about civil judgements for anyone interested. I'm not an attorney and do not claim to know the intricacies of these things but there is apparently a statewide database which maintains records of civil judgements, that is money a court has ordered one person to pay to another. Whether it be child support, judgement from a small claims court dispute or something else, records are being kept.

I know this because a relative works for the Hoosier Lottery and before large payouts are awarded they consult this database.

I mention this because I see people saying that suing someone is not worth the effort as they aren't likely to see the money if they win.

The odds may not be in one's favor for actually seeing the money but I can tell you that if someone walks into the lottery HQ with a winning ticket and it is found that the person owes back child support or money awarded in a civil lawsuit, those people get paid before the person holding the ticket.

Just a bit of trivia some might find useful...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just wanted to post something about civil judgements for anyone interested. I'm not an attorney and do not claim to know the intricacies of these things but there is apparently a statewide database which maintains records of civil judgements, that is money a court has ordered one person to pay to another. Whether it be child support, judgement from a small claims court dispute or something else, records are being kept.

I know this because a relative works for the Hoosier Lottery and before large payouts are awarded they consult this database.

I mention this because I see people saying that suing someone is not worth the effort as they aren't likely to see the money if they win.

The odds may not be in one's favor for actually seeing the money but I can tell you that if someone walks into the lottery HQ with a winning ticket and it is found that the person owes back child support or money awarded in a civil lawsuit, those people get paid before the person holding the ticket.

Just a bit of trivia some might find useful...

This goes towards inheritance/estate settlements as well. Same thing.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My relative has seen more than one jubilant individual walk in to the lottery HQ thinking they were gonna walk out with heavy pockets only to be disappointed when their baby momma received a fat check instead. Probably makes me a bad person but I find it hilarious.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My relative has seen more than one jubilant individual walk in to the lottery HQ thinking they were gonna walk out with heavy pockets only to be disappointed when their baby momma received a fat check instead. Probably makes me a bad person but I find it hilarious.

I find it fair. I'll always enjoy good humor.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

All smiles here.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

I find no offense is finding joy in Cosmic Justice.

Next case.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

That's awesome! :):

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

Not at all... Being a deadbeat parent goes both ways. There is a younger guy at work that is raising his kids by himself and the deadbeat mother contributes nothing.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Not at all... Being a deadbeat parent goes both ways. There is a younger guy at work that is raising his kids by himself and the deadbeat mother contributes nothing.

My brother took his ex to court for custody of his two kids more than 30 years ago now.
    He not only won custody, the mother was ordered to pay $3.00 per month for support. THREE DOLLARS A MONTH! For support of two kids. and she never paid the first dime.

It would be great karma if she were to hit the lottery now...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I know there is a database for child support. I'm not so sure other judgments are automatically put in a database, but the person who secures the judgment can get it there. Also, some counties may automatically enter the judgments, and others not.

You owe, you should pay. Simple as that.

As for the LLCs and Corporations, if the person who owns the judgment is paying attention, this is a pretty simple artifice to overcome.

Top Bottom