• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I did my "before the snows come" check on the cars today.
    Checked oil: both good (use Amsoil and change 1x/yr in the Spring).
    Checked tire pressure with snow tires put on by Discount Tire.
    Corolla was correct, done on E. Washington, but the S2000, done at Castleton, is never right, and I tell them every time.
    They said they fixed the issue: wrong!
    The manager there said I was his best customer (I have to get rear tires for the S2000 every couple of years, and I have been going there 20 yrs. getting regular and snow tires for multiple cars, and even rims.
    I still can't get them to put the correct air pressure in, however. :dunno: For crying out loud, after the machine says you have 32#: check it with a TIRE GAUGE!!!

Next, I went to put windshield washer fluid in the cars.
    After I put nearly a gallon in the wife's Corolla, I was texting my son to make sure he did the same to his car and his wife's.
    As I was texting him I realized I had put radiator fluid in the windshield washer tank by mistake!!!!!!!!!!!

It was too cold, and I'm too old to feel like draining the tank in the drive and cleaning it out.
    I went to Jiffy Lube on Shadeland and told them of my stupidity and asked what they would charge to fix it.
    The manager said it depended on how long it would take and I told her that either draining the tank (if it had one), to siphoning it out, either one wouldn't take 10 minutes and I didn't mind paying $20 for my stupidity but I wouldn't pay $50 :laugh:
    They did it, and I was satisfied, and she didn't charge me anything: I couldn't believe it!!!!!!!!!!
    I said at least let me pay you for the fluid put it: she wouldn't.

The Xmas spirit is alive!!!

I texted my son and 4 best friends so they could laugh at me, a person who has done engine, radiator, tranny and diff fluids for years, and now I can't even fill up a windshield wiper tank. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just remember, it could have been worse. Glad they took care of you at no charge. That's good business on their part.

1. Yes, putting windshield washer fluid in the radiator would have been a bigger deal to get drained and replacing the radiator fluid, but I never would do anything that stupid! :rolleyes: :dunno::laugh:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    A friend was checking out a 1985 Mercedes today. There was a 1" hole drilled in the top of the washer fluid tank. He asked why, the response was "for overflow protection" :rofl:

probably more like the actual cap is stuck

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A friend was checking out a 1985 Mercedes today. There was a 1" hole drilled in the top of the washer fluid tank. He asked why, the response was "for overflow protection" :rofl:

probably more like the actual cap is stuck

1. Great story! Love details about life's idiosyncrasies.
    2. My best friend in the world (from 17 yrs. old/college) has bought 3 old Mercs, he just can't help himself, and each time he was looking for a Lexus SC 460 'vert., but found killer deals on older 'vert Mercedes that he wanted from his youth (Dr. in small town let him drive his in H.S. and it blew his mind, ha!).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I see many folks on the FJ forum who end up draining the transmission and then adding 5 quarts of oil and wondering why its not shifting right and the oil is way up on the dipstick, so your mistake is very small in comparison.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I have done my share of stupid this year...
    I put a group 24 battery in my wife's van instead of a group 24F. Sat it in before I realized the terminals were reversed and fried the fusible link. Not stocked at most auto parts stores, so I ordered it on Amazon. Somewhat of a pain to put it, but I didn't have to pull the whole fuse box like some sites mentioned.

After changing ball joints on the above mentioned van, I reused the axle nut. It seemed to go back on fine and I torqued it down to the 160 ft/lb spec. Drove the van and ABS would kick in when coming up to a stop. Checked the axle which has teeth for the wheel sensor and found the axle was not tight and has a little play. I cross threaded the axle and got it torqued to spec, which needless to say was a pain to get back off and required a new axle since the threads were destroyed. Luckily the new axle was $55 and took 25 mins to put in.

I'm sure I could come up with more from over the years.
    Thankfully I learn from most of my mistakes!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You drive an S2000 in the winter...

1. Yes, and I'm in a national S2000 car club: S2KCA, and it hurts them to see me do it, most are garage queens.
    2. But, many in Canada put on the snow tires and drive all through the winter: the correct tires and the car being perfectly balanced: hasn't been a problem. Of course, I grew up where all cars were rear wheel drive and you had to know how to drive when slick: a lost art with the front wheel drive cars of today.
    3. I always have my wife's Corolla as a backup if it's really bad, she isn't going to use it on a bad day.
    4. My son has to drive his every day however.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have done my share of stupid this year...
    I put a group 24 battery in my wife's van instead of a group 24F. Sat it in before I realized the terminals were reversed and fried the fusible link. Not stocked at most auto parts stores, so I ordered it on Amazon. Somewhat of a pain to put it, but I didn't have to pull the whole fuse box like some sites mentioned.

After changing ball joints on the above mentioned van, I reused the axle nut. It seemed to go back on fine and I torqued it down to the 160 ft/lb spec. Drove the van and ABS would kick in when coming up to a stop. Checked the axle which has teeth for the wheel sensor and found the axle was not tight and has a little play. I cross threaded the axle and got it torqued to spec, which needless to say was a pain to get back off and required a new axle since the threads were destroyed. Luckily the new axle was $55 and took 25 mins to put in.

I'm sure I could come up with more from over the years.
    Thankfully I learn from most of my mistakes!

1. Wow! I feel better already! :laugh: Now that was an issue!!!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I tore my riding mower's hydrostatic transmission apart and put it back together, forgetting a piece :xmad:

had to pull it out again, replace part, refill the fluid, redo the seal, wait again, then remount it. Finally got it all together, told myself I'm NEVER working on that again. Then I hit forward and it goes backward :xmad: put a freaking part in backwards and had to do it all over again :rofl:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you work on anything to any extent you will have some story's.
    My spouse was trying to learn her way around under the hood and in he zeal put auto trans fluid in the master cylinder. The brakes started acting very weird and when I investigated I found a strange mixture of goo in the reservoir. She then admitted to her mistake. I might have saved the master cylinder had she told me.....:dunno:

SIL bought a 280-Z Datsun. Turbo car. She is basically an idiot and I knew there would be issues.
    She brought it over 6 months into owning it. Engine was doing some strange ****. I pulled the dipstick and it was way to full and icky milky. I drained the pan and there was a gallon or more of liquid in the oil. Inquiring what she had done she stated she had filled the washer reservoir. I asked where she had done this. She pointed to the oil fill cap. I did mention she was an idiot. Yes, we put a new engine in it a week later.

Top Bottom