• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. I must have a convertible: that's the bottom line defining factor.
    2. I usually keep my 'verts about 4 yrs., and move on to another fun car.
    3. I have had:
    79 MG Midget (3 yrs.)
    94 Jeep Wrangler (4 yrs.)
    94 Honda del sol (4 yrs.)
    95 Honda del sol ( 4 yrs.) (b/c son stole 94 and took it to college)
    04 Honda S2000 (going on 8 yrs.)

4. Also, a manual was paramount, but now I would not insist on it:
    getting old: arthritis.
    5. There are not many convertibles out there I can buy b/c I couldn't handle the maintenance on a German Car:
    BMW Z4
    VW Bug (loved the turbo 'vert I drove with my son, even though it's a "woman's" car: at my age, it doensn't matter anymore. :dunno:
    Miata (Japanese) would be great, but since it is so small like my S2000, there is the arthritis, plus, I'd just keep my S2000 anyway if I was going to that size.

6. This brings me back to the Wrangler.
    they are not worth the money for what you get
    and the gas mileage is insufferable: 16-18 (my sports car got 25 normaly and 30 once on highway, even 18 mpg when driving hard all day on curves with the S2KCA car club crowd)
    But, I loved it!
    7. I have "a few" I could buy based on last night's research from $10k to $26k.
    8. $26k only 8000 miles (a 2012), and an $18.5k also with 8k miles on it (2003)
    9. There are various $10k - 15K Jeeps that I would buy as well, with 50K - 100k miles on them.
    10. It's all about the perceived profile (no off-road, basically).
    11. I even found a guy that rebuilds about 12 - 15/year, and I have bought rebuilds my whole life, not a problem if you trust the guy is doing it righteously. My last Jeep was a rebuild.

12. There is the Toyota Avalon, which I would trust.
    13. My daughter has a G35 Infinity hardtop contractible that would be fine, but I don't trust the longevity of the apparatus: complicated.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Jeeps suck.

KnGV3t5.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    That is a pretty wide range of choices!

If you are looking at Jeep, I'm happy to give you my :twocents:. The more modern Jeep Wrangler JK will be COMPLETELY different than the old YJ you had. Tons more power, all the creature comforts, and night and day difference in ride and handling. Look for a 2012 or newer to get the better 3.6L engine. There are plenty out there with reasonable mileage. Unless you plan to actually off-road it, no need for the Rubicon package. With the new JL hitting showrooms pretty soon, there is likely to be a glut of early JK's coming in as trades (or for sale by owner). I wouldn't bother with the '97-'06 Jeep TJ at this point, unless you are looking for a project.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    That is a pretty wide range of choices!

If you are looking at Jeep, I'm happy to give you my :twocents:. The more modern Jeep Wrangler JK will be COMPLETELY different than the old YJ you had. Tons more power, all the creature comforts, and night and day difference in ride and handling. Look for a 2012 or newer to get the better 3.6L engine. There are plenty out there with reasonable mileage. Unless you plan to actually off-road it, no need for the Rubicon package. With the new JL hitting showrooms pretty soon, there is likely to be a glut of early JK's coming in as trades (or for sale by owner). I wouldn't bother with the '97-'06 Jeep TJ at this point, unless you are looking for a project.

I’ll sell you my 2005 TJ :)

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I too have thoughts on selling my Pontiac Solstice GXP and get a Jeep. I finally decided if I ever did sell the car I would go with a small (S10, Ranger) 4x4 pickup. I think it would ride better, be more useful, and not have as many repairs.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I too have thoughts on selling my Pontiac Solstice GXP and get a Jeep. I finally decided if I ever did sell the car I would go with a small (S10, Ranger) 4x4 pickup. I think it would ride better, be more useful, and not have as many repairs.

Jeep CJ’s and YJ’s ride rough. TJ’s only ride rough if you install cheap low quality parts. MY TJ rides awesome. The newer jeeps ride like a dream.
    As for reliability, my TJ has been very reliable. As long as you stick with the recommended years, you’ll be fine. Just like trucks, some years were very unreliable.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Trade a Honda for a Chrysler product?

Dude. :):

If I had arthritis and had zero plans to ever off-road, a loud, rough riding crapwagon like the Jeep Wrangler would be the last vehicle I would choose for a daily driver.
    You had better keep that S2000. Limited production and highly sought after, I think it's going to be a future classic.
    There are only 9 S2000's for sale within 100 miles of Indianapolis on Cars.com, and the least expensive one is $16,995.
    Trading an S2000 for a Wrangler would be like trading a Colt Python for a Ruger GP100.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    While the Wrangler is great on the trails behind his Air Force base, my son-in-law hates taking it on the road as it beats the heck out of him. This from a guy who's office is an F-16.

You state you are getting old and have arthritis. While the Wrangler does the job it was designed for very well, I have a feeling that it might be too painful for you to live with. My 2 cents.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Top Bottom