• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    My wife was gifted a bunch of old clothes from a friend and inside was a pair of men's sunglasses. They cleaned up really nice and are in excellent condition... I wounder if they were given to us by mistake. She called her friend about them but her friend has not answered her.

They say Ray Ban but I know nothing about Ray Bans other are expensive and are commonly faked.

They appear to be RB 4057 "Highstreet" sunglasses from around 2008 (based on reviews).

If they're fake I will wear them to work like any cheap pair of glasses, if real, I'll put them somewhere safe with my Maui Jim's.

Clues they are real...
    The lenses are glass
    Clear logo on R lens
    True etching L lens
    No frame mold lines
    No fakes seen online

Why they could be fake...
    Ray Bans are often faked... and they were free
    Not much info about them on the internet
    The hinges do not have detents
    The lenses are not polarized

What say you guys...
    CM04gvI.png

of8oEeb.png

gSpvmVd.png

UwmVDBz.png

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I am by no means an expert on if these are fake or not, but I own a few pairs of Ray Bans and they are about the only brand of "expensive" glasses that I do buy.

They look real from what I can see. The lenses are non-polarized and this pair can probably be found for ~$90.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    That's Luxottica product.

Two people with about 50 year's experience in that market, 35 or more of which were with Luxottica, say "real"....

-Nate

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    That's Luxottica product.

Two people with about 50 year's experience in that market, 35 or more of which were with Luxottica, say "real"....

-Nate

I've walked by that store... looked to pricey for my interest.

Were they an exclusive for them?

EDIT: Nevermind, they own Ray-Ban :noob

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Don't over think them brother. You like them, they fit, free, wear them and enjoy. Merry Christmas!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    EDIT: Nevermind, they own Ray-Ban :noob

No worries. Not common knowledge.

Luxottica doesn't own everything...but it's pretty akin to the Ma Bell effect, only international.

80%+ of the market and brands are controlled and owned by the big three: Luxottica (Italian), Safilo (Italian), and Marchon (United States). With some notable exceptions like Gucci, these companies are so large that they don't just produce and market frames FOR a designer...they OWN the brand.

-Nate

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    No worries. Not common knowledge.

Luxottica doesn't own everything...but it's pretty akin to the Ma Bell effect, only international.

80%+ of the market and brands are controlled and owned by the big three: Luxottica (Italian), Safilo (Italian), and Marchon (United States). With some notable exceptions like Gucci, these companies are so large that they don't just produce and market frames FOR a designer...they OWN the brand.

-Nate

I listened to Jame Jannard speak recently and that opened it all up for me. I'd just never looked into it before honestly but it's kind of interesting really. How do you know so much about that industry?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Two parents and an uncle with probably..90? years in the industry between them, from 3 different angles. Pretty handy at times, especially given the nature of what I do with rifles.

I probably know your optometrist, and if not, they still probably know (of) me.

-Nate

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If they're fake I will wear them to work like any cheap pair of glasses, if real, I'll put them somewhere safe with my Maui Jim's.

My 2 cents, wear them all the time, even if they are real. I have a pair of Costa's with the readers in them that I have worn the hell out of. They are nice and were expensive and I've had them for a few years now, and will likely get another pair soon (because I have put a lot of mileage on them). Don't put a pair of sunglasses away because they are nice. Wear the heck out of them and when necessary replace them.

No sense in not wearing them. I wore cheap sunglasses for years, but I'll never go back now, especially not with a good pair sitting in a drawer.

I'll probably get a new pair of Costa's next year and I may then send in the pair I have to have them "refurbed" at the factory.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    My 2 cents, wear them all the time, even if they are real. I have a pair of Costa's with the readers in them that I have worn the hell out of. They are nice and were expensive and I've had them for a few years now, and will likely get another pair soon (because I have put a lot of mileage on them). Don't put a pair of sunglasses away because they are nice. Wear the heck out of them and when necessary replace them.

No sense in not wearing them. I wore cheap sunglasses for years, but I'll never go back now, especially not with a good pair sitting in a drawer.

I'll probably get a new pair of Costa's next year and I may then send in the pair I have to have them "refurbed" at the factory.

I have been known to drop new sunglasses within an hour of purchase. :(

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Two parents and an uncle with probably..90? years in the industry between them, from 3 different angles. Pretty handy at times, especially given the nature of what I do with rifles.

I probably know your optometrist, and if not, they still probably know (of) me.

-Nate

Very cool! I don't need corrective lenses or anything but I had an eye issue as a kid so I still go from time to time for a check up. Dr. Black is who I go to. Always thought optometry was awesome.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Like other things... does it really matter if you like them?

i found a pair of Oakley gacan glassss while snorkeling. I had never worn nice sunglasses until I put them on. Now it's all I've worn for 7 years

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Like other things... does it really matter if you like them?

Well yeah it kinda does, in the case of fakes.

Generally speaking, and especially in regard to many faked eyeglasses, the quality of the counterfeit piece is an order of magnitude worse than an authentic item.

So you paid maybe 75% of "real" price because it was an awesome deal, but you got some Chicom POS Leupold Mark 4 with some made-up serial number whose reticle comes lose in a box of ammo...

...does that bring it home for everybody?

-Nate

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I meant in relation to this free item

i put after market lenses in my Oakley's that worked just fine. $20 on amazon. The plastic frame is probably $2 to make are they $105 glasses? Nope.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Dr. Black is who I go to. Always thought optometry was awesome.

How much longer is Steve going to keep practicing? I assume his daughter is good-to-go and is taking over the practice at some point?

Yeah, Optometry is a cool science. Particularly with some of my "unique" requirements of a O.D., I have formed a very strong relationship with Gordon Boyd in Crawfordsville because he knows a thing or two about shooting, and same as Dr. Black, has been doing this long enough to have earned the huge base of knowledge that allows for flexibility for special circumstances. You can't replace that overnight.

But the biggest thing about getting a successful and correct refraction is still the patient: they need to be paying close attention, be well-rested and hydrated, and be willing to get their money's worth.

A lot of people get sh@# glasses out of the process because they gave sh*@ answers on the front end and weren't really trying to determine what WAS clearest.

Also, if you have a high degree of acuity and you have need for extremely sharp focus (who doesn't?), ask your O.D. to continue to refine your script...it only takes another 2-3 minutes during the exam, but hammering out a "perfect" correction can really be helpful as opposed to one that just "meets standard".

Autorefraction may change some of this, but it hasn't yet, and as far as I know, it also is not intended to generate corrections for single-purpose or specialty lenses.

-Nate

Top Bottom