• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INPOLICE/bulletins/1cbf8a9

Putnamville—On Tuesday afternoon, December 12, for the fifth time in recent weeks, troopers from the Putnamville Post utilized aircraft for their speed enforcement efforts.

Indiana State Police Sergeant Lee Wright, from the ISP Aviation Section, piloted his Cessna 172 Skyhawk to the Putnamville District, and joined forces with Putnamville District officers, Sergeant Jared Nicoson, and Troopers Bill Bradbury, Tom Hanks, Brent Robinson, and Erik Smith.

Patrolling high above US 41 in southern Sullivan County, Sgt. Wright would detect speeding vehicles below, utilizing his VASCAR (Visual Average Speed Computer and Recorder) and a set of pre-determined painted lines on the roadways edge. Sgt. Wright would then radio the units below and guide them to the target vehicle to ensure the correct vehicle was stopped for enforcement action.

During the three hour period, 2pm to 5pm, troopers issued (19) traffic citations (16 for speeding) and (29) warnings. The highest speed of the afternoon was 85mph in a 60mph zone.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    19 tickets at what. . . . .$150 per? Just under 3 grand for 3 hours isn't bad for a day's work! Discounting the officers pay which they would have paid anyway I'd say it's a win for the state. Even given the expense of the 172 it's still in the black.

I personally could see better use of the resources but hey I bet the officers involved got a hoot out of it!:rockwoot:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    They have to issue a lot of tickets because it is so expensive to keep a plane in the air. I think they only have one, not real sure.

85 mph is the average speed on most interstate highways and it seems they don't even bother with you at 80 mph.

Their cars can be seen a mile or more away in most cases if you pay attention and they can cause more problems than they solve.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    They have to issue a lot of tickets because it is so expensive to keep a plane in the air. I think they only have one, not real sure.

85 mph is the average speed on most interstate highways and it seems they don't even bother with you at 80 mph.

Their cars can be seen a mile or more away in most cases if you pay attention and they can cause more problems than they solve.

Remember, this is not about a revenue grab but "safety".

Also, I have this bridge you might be interested in. Low miles.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Let's see, is 3 hours times (5 ground officers plus 1 pilot officer) + 3 hours of fuel + fuel back and forth + the paint on the sides of the road > $1,000 (about $50 per ticket, or is that too low?)

Has that area seen a significant volume of accidents due to excessive speed? Otherwise, that might just be a great way to whip up some revenue for ISP. :noway:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You can actually put a 172 in the air pretty cheaply on a per hour basis. Obviously factoring in the annuals, major overhauls and any of the other FAA dictates that come your way adds up quickly but just as in the (insert expensive hobby of your choice) world guys are pretty good at justifying just about anything.

Especially when dealing with somebody elses money!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just for info, the average Cessna 172 will use approximately 6 gallons of fuel per hour. Cost at my local FBO (fixed base operator) is around $5 per gallon.

Nice way for a pilot to get taxpayer funded flight time.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    They do this on US 20 in Laporte. Lots of accidents and quite a few fatalities in the past years. They upped the amount of patrols and added the white blocks/lines for the planes.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    They do this on US 20 in Laporte. Lots of accidents and quite a few fatalities in the past years. They upped the amount of patrols and added the white blocks/lines for the planes.

I've noticed all the accidents. I drive there regularly, maybe once or twice a month, and there doesn't seem to be anything particular about that stretch that seems dangerous. Do you have an opinion about the uptick in accidents there?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've noticed all the accidents. I drive there regularly, maybe once or twice a month, and there doesn't seem to be anything particular about that stretch that seems dangerous. Do you have an opinion about the uptick in accidents there?

To me, it is speeding. When traffic is heavy, people are driving 70 mph. With the amount of cross roads and other intersections, I think that is the issue. The school just east of the US 20/I-94 interchange has a few bad accidents in front of it every year. The Fail rd intersection also has a lot of accidents. The speed limit is 45 there and people still do 70.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How many left lane tickets did the ISP sting operation write?

Seems like that would be an excellent way to enforce and get the word out on this rarely enforced legal issue?
    Vs, picking on folks just trying to get somewhere?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Cha-ching. $$$$$$$

This has nothing to do with safety, just revenue farming. If they cared about safety, they'd park an officer at the side of the road and watch for unsafe behavior...like, I dunno hogging the left lane?

Top Bottom