Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    34.5 squares

225 feet of gutters, 5 inch with leaf guards

What should I expect? I've already had a crazy estimate......

How many layers are currently on the roof?
    Indiana law prohibits a 3rd layer of roofing materials, and most GOOD roofers will not do a "roof-over".
    In most cases it will either void your new warranty entirely, or substantially reduce it.
    What is the roof pitch? Is it "walker" or will the workers have to use ropes?
    Other factors that will affect price are,
    Now high is the roof eaves>? Can you get roof-top delivery, or will someone have to carry them up by hand?
    Are you talking about dimensional shingles, 3-tabs, interlocking...?

34.5sq with a single later to remove first, and installing dimensional shingles, I'm going to say in the neighborhood of $8-$12k.
    I know that's a spread, but different companies charge differently.

CHECK REFERENCES CAREFULLY!

No, I won't travel to Bloomington to do a roof.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I got an estimate from RCV for 33 squares and 161' of gutter and it was over $11K. I ended up going with another guy who replaced all of my decking, the shingles and installed two skylights for the same $11K. I hired JR Richardson for my gutters. Great work, better product and fair price at $883.

But I would not go with my guy and cannot recommend him. I ended up having RCV come out when I had a leak on my new roof and my roofer basically walked away.

Funny thing is; RCV came out with two guys, got up on the roof with me, showed me where my roofer went wrong and seeing that I was handy told me how to fix it. They didn't charge me a dime for anything and said if it didn't work, they would come out and re-do that section.

I would recommend RCV based on my experience and a few other's that I know who used them. Don't go with mine.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I had mine done this Spring. 22 Sq, had to replace some Sheating $4200. Estimates were clear up to $6700. Like Mgderf said a Good Roofer will do a Terar Off, the 2 layers hold Heat and the new roof will loose some life. If you have a Steep Pitch or a lot of Valley's that will run up the cost.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    ...it's Owen County, I pay cash and you can shoot steel targets from the roof.

Tear off one layer , 9/12 roof, carry it up and dimensional roof

How many layers are currently on the roof?
    Indiana law prohibits a 3rd layer of roofing materials, and most GOOD roofers will not do a "roof-over".
    In most cases it will either void your new warranty entirely, or substantially reduce it.
    What is the roof pitch? Is it "walker" or will the workers have to use ropes?
    Other factors that will affect price are,
    Now high is the roof eaves>? Can you get roof-top delivery, or will someone have to carry them up by hand?
    Are you talking about dimensional shingles, 3-tabs, interlocking...?

34.5sq with a single later to remove first, and installing dimensional shingles, I'm going to say in the neighborhood of $8-$12k.
    I know that's a spread, but different companies charge differently.

CHECK REFERENCES CAREFULLY!

No, I won't travel to Bloomington to do a roof.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I thought everyone in Indiana waited for the next hail storm, then let the [STRIKE]vultures[/STRIKE] roof companies work the insurance companies into paying for it? At least that's what everyone I've heard of does?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County

If it is 1 story I would guess roof around $8500-9000, including materials, labor and dump fees. Gutters you are just as well to get 6" just because they are about same cost as 5" but you get bigger downspouts...around $1500, so around $10K total.

Edit....this assumes you are not picky on leaf guards. I assumed a basic leaf guard but you can pay 3 times that if you want something fancier, like gutter helmet is 15-20 per foot, I allowed 6-7 per foot.

I thought everyone in Indiana waited for the next hail storm, then let the [STRIKE]vultures[/STRIKE] roof companies work the insurance companies into paying for it? At least that's what everyone I've heard of does?

Man that is the truth. I bet 90% of my work is insurance claims.......very few people pay out of pocket for roofs, siding or gutters anymore.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Well, now you have piqued my interest.
    I have actually traveled as far as Florida to do a roof, but that was for my mother.
    I've also gone to Chicago to erect an 80' x 200' free-span pole barn with 26' side walls, intended as a horse riding barn.

Seriously though, I would probably not be your most economical bid due to commuting issues.
    We are but a 2 person company, so we're also not the quickest.
    Still, I've never had a call back on a roof that I have done, outside of tree damage.

One more note to consider.
    I will not install a roof in this weather, unless the buyer is willing to sign a waiver.
    In this cold weather, asphalt or fiberglass shingles will not properly seal to one another.
    I want at least 55 degrees AND a good full sun for a couple of days following installation.

I have actually seen a 3 year old roof that never sealed down, because it was installed in February.
    If at all possible, patch a leak for the winter, but wait for better weather to have shingles installed.

Or go with a steel roof and disregard all of the above...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I tried that when I lived in Lafayette. Waited 17 years for that hailstorm. I finally had to replace the roof on my dime.:(

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I tried that when I lived in Lafayette. Waited 17 years for that hailstorm. I finally had to replace the roof on my dime.:(

Didn't wait quite long enough.
    At least two of the roofs I did this year were full replacement hail damaged roofs.
    One was only a couple of years old, and should have been covered.
    Another was at LEAST a 15 year old roof, and on it's last leg with bare spots on the matting where the granules once were. Insurance company gave them brand new roof AND new vinyl siding. I didn't think the siding should have been covered either, but I went ahead and replaced them anyway.

Guess that's why I'm an installer and not an insurance adjuster.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At least two of the roofs I did this year were full replacement hail damaged roofs.
    One was only a coupe of years old, and should have been covered.
    Another was at LEAST a 15 year old roof, and on it's last leg with bare spots on the matting where the granules once were. Insurance company gave them brand new roof AND new vinyl siding. I didn't think the siding should have been covered either, but I went ahead and replaced them anyway.

When our roof (Replaced last year by CHRandy) was on its last legs and the gravel was coming loose we caught the local birds ripping it off in the winter. The pecked bald spots all over the roof. I am told they need to grain sized gravel for their gullets (??) to grind up food. There would be 30 at a time pecking away on my roof.
    I got to be a pretty good shot with my pellet rifle during that period and after a short while they would all bolt at the sound of me cocking said rifle. I stopped actually dropping them to just popping off the air gun and they would haul out.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    One was only a couple of years old, and should have been covered.

This was several years ago and my roof was leaking, so I bit the bullet. Fortunately, a friend of our family is a school teacher and a roofer in the Summer, so on that one, I got a decent price.

Unlike what the rates are in Bloomington.:)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I was wondering about this.
    I'll bet they're higher than in Lafayette.

I'm sure they are. The contractors have a good gig down here. They are so covered up with work that they will pick and choose what jobs they want to take. I have had numerous different trades to my home, look at the job, send me a quote and never come back and do the work. Even after repeated attempts by me to reach them. I'm not going to beg someone to give them my money.

I had one guy call me back after I left a message and he just told me, "Greg, I'm not taking any more work at this point". And another told me first thing when I called that they were 2 years backed up. I appreciated those two. The guys who just disappear after they did the work of coming out and writing up a quote; I don't have much respect for them.

Which is why I am doing the "lion's share" of my complete home reno.:)

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    We're still trying to get our back porch roof finished after being screwed all summer. Please don't offer your job to Russel Harris. He never finished our job, still owes us money, and didn't do the part he did do correctly.

Jason

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We're still trying to get our back porch roof finished after being screwed all summer. Please don't offer your job to Russel Harris. He never finished our job, still owes us money, and didn't do the part he did do correctly.

Jason

Yeah, I learned and I won't give money to a contractor anymore until the job is finished. If they can't carry the "paper" for the time they are doing my job, then they aren't big enough or stable enough for me to hire. A contractor worth his salt can wait until the job is finished.

I'm not talking about building complete homes here where it is customary to provide draws throughout the process. I'm talking about jobs that should take a week or less, give or take.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm sure they are. The contractors have a good gig down here. They are so covered up with work that they will pick and choose what jobs they want to take. I have had numerous different trades to my home, look at the job, send me a quote and never come back and do the work. Even after repeated attempts by me to reach them. I'm not going to beg someone to give them my money.

I had one guy call me back after I left a message and he just told me, "Greg, I'm not taking any more work at this point". And another told me first thing when I called that they were 2 years backed up. I appreciated those two. The guys who just disappear after they did the work of coming out and writing up a quote; I don't have much respect for them.

Which is why I am doing the "lion's share" of my complete home reno.:)

Don't know if this is true but here's a story I was told: A year or so ago a friend was telling me of a friend of his that was in the cabinet building business down this way. He decided to expand his business up into Bloomington but lost job after job. He mentioned this to a friend and he offered to see what it was about his bids that was losing him all of those jobs. He came back and said you're not charging enough. Raise your bids and see what happens. It worked.

Top Bottom