• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So I'm installing a new Kwikset keypad deadbolt at my church tonite. 2 hours to install it. IKR? The last one I installed took me 30 minutes, and that included the 15 to figure out how to remove the old lock. (used a spanner wrench not screws)

I get it installed following the directions to the letter. but when I put the code in it doesnt work and jams up. I finally realize it is running "backwards". When I press the lock button, it unlocks, and when I put in my code it locks. :scratch:

Scour the instructions. Nada. Check online. Nothing. The only thing online for this lock is how to re-key it with the tool. (AMAZEBALLS feature. 15 seconds to re-key it to another kwikset key) No other documentation.

So I call support. Sit on hold for 30 minutes and I am told immediately how to program it to reverse direction by holding buttons while you power it up. Absolutely not something you would even THINK to do or figure out on your own. (hold this button while you install the batteries and then hold it until X happens)

Seriously? Isnt That rather important? I can maybe understand not putting it in the install manual, but to have no mention on the website where they tell you to look when you have problems and need assistance? Unacceptable.

Hell, Googling the problem now I find it is only referenced on 3rd party sites. So apparently this is a super secret squirrel thing for Kwikset. :rolleyes:

/rant

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sounds like that changes the relay from normally open to normally closed.

In this case it flips the motor travel direction so that CW is lock and CCW is unlock. If I do it again it reverses the motor travel direction for CCW is lock and CW is unlock. You would think that instructions for adjusting for a left/right opening door would be up there with the important things.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I had a similar thing happen when programming a universal garage door opener. I tried for way too long and looked over the directions a dozen times before calling support. Turns out I had to hold a button while programming but apparently they didn't think to include that set in the instruction sheet.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But seriously, if you already own Kwikset matched locks and ever have one lock blow out on you, get a smart key replacement. Only a couple bucks more but you can match the new one to your old key in under 15 seconds. I had that happen at my house. Pins jammed up on my garage man door. It was keyed the same as my front door and deadbolt. So rather than buying 3 new locks I just bought one of these and matched it myself with no locksmith. Im installing a bunch of locks and will be able to key them all as I wish myself. (all matching, some with key A, others with key B, etc. Or later "change the locks" myself to make the existing keys no longer work. all you need is the old key, the new key, and a little tool that comes with the locks.)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    But seriously, if you already own Kwikset matched locks and ever have one lock blow out on you, get a smart key replacement. Only a couple bucks more but you can match the new one to your old key in under 15 seconds. I had that happen at my house. Pins jammed up on my garage man door. It was keyed the same as my front door and deadbolt. So rather than buying 3 new locks I just bought one of these and matched it myself with no locksmith. Im installing a bunch of locks and will be able to key them all as I wish myself. (all matching, some with key A, others with key B, etc. Or later "change the locks" myself to make the existing keys no longer work. all you need is the old key, the new key, and a little tool that comes with the locks.)

You can also bring your existing key in to most places that sell locksets and they will rekey the new set to your existing key for free.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Big advantages to the platform are as mentioned, plus periodic re-keys for security, and you can rekey a single door with a certain key for repairman, house-sitter etc, and not have to worry if their key control was lax because after their visit is over you rekey back to your standard locks.

Disadvantages: the smart-key lock design is easily manipulated without leaving signs of brute-force etc. Somebody could unlock your doors and enter your home, and lock back up on their way out and you may never know it. That being said, I'm not that concerned, good home-defense comes in layers (alarms, cameras, dogs, weapons) and typically the guys putting in the effort to learn the manipulations are part of a lock-picking/lock-smith group that hold themselves to high standards. I'm not too worried about my local meth-head learning the ways to manipulate Smart-key locks.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That's why I'm firm(ware guy) - right between hard and soft. ;)

tenor.gif

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Ya gotta wonder if that was a factory design feature that would work for both a left hand vs right hand opening door model & it just got missed at the factory.

Schlage ftw too! My b-i-l worked for them. Local company kinda sorta. They made some good stuff.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Schlage ftw too! My b-i-l worked for them. Local company kinda sorta. They made some good stuff.

I used to work for the parent company. The North American corporate office is in Carmel. They make the Schlage locks in Colorado Springs and have a factory making Von Duprin exit devices on the east side of Indy.

Top Bottom