• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, looks like State Farm has pissed off my wife for the last time. Looking for a new insurance provider. Needs to cover home and auto at the minimum. Any suggestions?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Farm Bureau was always good to me. I have a friend who works in one of their Indy offices. Let me know if you would like his contact info.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    If you're eligible, USAA is great. I've been a member since 1981. I recently suffered a minor indoor flood (2 inches of water in a finished basement), and they've been super.

Rates are reasonable, and their lack of local agents is a not a negative for me. YMMV.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you're eligible, USAA is great. I've been a member since 1981. I recently suffered a minor indoor flood (2 inches of water in a finished basement), and they've been super.

Rates are reasonable, and their lack of local agents is a not a negative for me. YMMV.

This.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I have Allstate and don't despise them any more than every other insurance company i have used. I have had good luck with AAA insurance and Progressive. USAA is great, but in my particular situation they aren't competitive on rates (but no-one knows why).

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have an independent agent. Sherry is who I work with at Fox and Fox, Inc. :: Our Focus is People, Not Policies.

I have moved companies as needed due to adding kids, and periodic rate reviews on my part, etc but been with them since about 1994. Had a few agents come and go over that time, but no issues and have worked with Jim Fox there if I had any real concerns.

I recently transitioned to Safeco (so not good to hear the above poster about issues with them, but I have had Safeco before and didn't remember particular problems), but had Travelers last couple of years leading up to this (changed because of rate changes) and had no issues with them with some auto claims.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Unfortunately, not eligible.

Up until this year, we have been happy with State Farm. They have been very easy to work with. In the last year, however, what a pain. They pull our credit monthly (we get alerts), which they haven't ever done before. We put my truck on a "low mileage" plan, and they send us mileage forms twice a month. And then call and all but call us liars when we say we haven't driven the truck in 2 weeks. They REALLY don't like the low deductible we have, and are constantly threatening to force us onto another plan. And, of course, rates always go up.

I guess my wife had some sort of conniption fit on the phone with them today. Even if they were the most bestest insurance on the planet, we would be switching now, just to keep the peace.

So....
    USAA - not eligible
    Safeco - out
    Allstate - had them YEARS ago. Maybe they aren't horrible now.
    Farm Bureau - maybe
    Progressive - maybe
    AAA - maybe (didn't think of them, we have a AAA membership)
    Geico - maybe

Lots of sites seem to do online quotes. I'll try to run some numbers in my down time and see who is even competitive.

I should ask Alan who is the easiest to work with...

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Unfortunately, not eligible.

Up until this year, we have been happy with State Farm. They have been very easy to work with. In the last year, however, what a pain. They pull our credit monthly (we get alerts), which they haven't ever done before. We put my truck on a "low mileage" plan, and they send us mileage forms twice a month. And then call and all but call us liars when we say we haven't driven the truck in 2 weeks. They REALLY don't like the low deductible we have, and are constantly threatening to force us onto another plan. And, of course, rates always go up.

I guess my wife had some sort of conniption fit on the phone with them today. Even if they were the most bestest insurance on the planet, we would be switching now, just to keep the peace.

So....
    USAA - not eligible
    Safeco - out
    Allstate - had them YEARS ago. Maybe they aren't horrible now.
    Farm Bureau - maybe
    Progressive - maybe
    AAA - maybe (didn't think of them, we have a AAA membership)
    Geico - maybe

Lots of sites seem to do online quotes. I'll try to run some numbers in my down time and see who is even competitive.

I should ask Alan who is the easiest to work with...

It is worth trying an independent, just to have them quote you from several companies at the same time. Mine has been happy to provide me quotes, etc. At times even putting them in a spreadsheet for me to compare (I can do that myself, but nice to have it provided).

No matter who you go with, be sure to ask questions about the coverages, etc and don't just assume that each company is providing quotes on similar coverages (not just differing overall deductibles, etc but different deductibles on different loss types even on your home insurance, etc, if you don't explicitly ask/confirm them to be doing so).

Last edited:

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I switched to The Hartford 14 years ago through AARP. SAVED ME $600.00 a year then. Their rates are still competitive now. I get quotes from other companies but Hartford is lowest. Check their A.M. BEST ratings when considering a new company. I found on Motorcycle Insurance it's cheaper from the Company website than an Independent Agent.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I was a State Farm customer for 40+ years. But I got tired of our auto rates climbing when we had no claims other than replacement of a windshield in over 10 years. Never had a claim on homeowners but those rates were climbing as well. Went to an independent insurance broker who got us in with Nationwide. Rates dropped 30% even after we added a new Tundra which had not been on our State Farm plan. Been very pleased. A deer took out my commuter Colorado on a Monday morning. Their appraiser was at the garage within 4 hours. The truck was totaled and I expected at best to get blue book value. Their check (received in less than a week) was 25% over blue book on a 13 year old truck with 190K+ miles.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I use Indiana Farmers. My agent is in Crawfordsville. He has taken over the business after his father’s passing. Between the two of them I have been with them for over 15 yrs. Grimes Insurance 765-362-5110.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    Cincinnati insurance is another option. They do home and auto and we've had good customer service from a claims stand point (at my business, not personal).

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We had State Farm and Farm Bureau forever...until we built a log home and neither of them will cover a log home...add to that a wood stove for heat and several other companies also say no go.

We have used independent agents for over 20 years now and wouldn't go any other way now. We have had Auto Owners for several years for the house and vehicles. We haven't had any claims on the house, but they have been good to work with. When I worked for the law firm years ago, we did some work with Auto Owners on personal injury cases (we represented the insurance company and not the injured people suing them), and they were good to work with.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I've got State Farm for home and auto, never had a problem with them...

Same here. Could it be that you need a different State Farm agent rather than changing insurance companies? From your comments later in the thread it sounds like corporate procedures crap rather than personal interaction (or inaction) by your agent.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Same here. Could it be that you need a different State Farm agent rather than changing insurance companies? From your comments later in the thread it sounds like corporate procedures crap rather than personal interaction (or inaction) by your agent.
    It has been corporate drones calling and sending letters. Our local agent, who we have been with for 20 years, has not been helpful. Back a decade ago, his office was fantastic, and even corporate was great. In the last few years, corp. has been more pushy, and our local guy has either had his hands tied, or has stopped caring. If you would have asked me 5 years ago, I would of highly recommended both State Farm and my local agent. Now, not so much. And, don't even ask my wife.

My wife groused to her mother all night (better her than me). I'll have to see what this morning brings. I DID start building my little comparison spreadsheet. Lists all of our current coverage, has rows for each comparison, and I can color code (green for better coverage, orange for worse, red for "can't even get that").

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'll throw in another vote for an independent agent. We saved a bunch of money and got more coverage when we switched to one.

Funny how personal insurance can be. We are with Safeco right now. They have been good. I had a claim on my car when something was thrown into my grill on the highway and destroyed it, and they gave me no issues. Paid the claim, no delays and no hassles.

Top Bottom