Why Do Christians Support Israel (the Nation)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    For the biblical minded people. Explain why it reconciles, with the Christian faith, to support a nation where most of the resident's beliefs, run contrary to the Christian understandings of the Holy Bible. Is this the "true," Israel that Christians are supposed to be supporting, or is there something that will one day replace it?
    It's a very contentious subject, I know, but I always found it odd how so many Christians are steadfast in their commitment to Israel, citing Biblical sources, when it would seem that such support is misplaced.

This is not a international relations question. I understand the support based on regional stability, and it being an ally. I look for answers related to faith.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I know it's not the angle you're looking for, but isn't it possible that it does come down to a non-religious reasoning? Among the two options, who would we rather legitimize there?

Perhaps you can oppose (or just be content) with the idea from a religious standpoint... but you'd prefer to see one side there over the other?

Dunno, we'll see what kinds of answers come up.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    The Jews/Hebrews/Israelites have had many, many times of being outside of God’s will for them. I can’t remember any passages in the Bible where they stopped being God’s chosen people, despite their flaws.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    As for faith, the bible says anyone who does not believe Christ has come in the flesh is a anti-christ…..this would be true of most Jews as they believe the Christ has not yet come and this has been going on since Jesus who is Christ came 2000 years ago. However if you were to believe these are the end times then we see that thousands of Jews are converting to Christianity, and this is happening in Israel. The bibles speaks about God restoring Israel and so much happens there in the last days. Its up to Jews to accept Christ just like anyone else, there is no difference in being Jew or Gentile now when it comes to salvation. We see throughout the bible how "Israel" backslid from God and then when they were restored to God. God will be restoring Israel and is doing that now which is why we see so many Jews becoming Christians just like when Jesus was first here and so many converted. This is it in a nutshell for me…..one can most certainly get into the more spiritual aspects of all this and it is there.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I don’t know enough about the politics of the Middle East to say that I whole-heartedly support Israel as a nation. I know what the turmoil in that region stems from (Isaac and Ishmael), and I know that there will never peace. So I’m not saying I‘m a gung-ho Israel supporter, but I certainly would be extremely leary of going against them.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Boundaries are not set in stone. They are inherently malleable.

The Bible, as a history, establishes what certain boundaries were (give or take) historically. Just like any other nation's boundary can be deduced by reference to historical texts, so too can Israel's.

For years, my formulation (paraphrased) for what makes a "country" is: a group of people that organizes within defined boundaries and successfully defends those boundaries. That's it. The defense can be military or political. Alone or allied with others.

Israel's right to exist is not dependent on the Bible. Rather, the Bible provides a compelling emotional argument that is persuasive to many. So it helps in the political arena.

Israel deserves our support as an ally because of their principles: capitalism, democracy, and freedom. (Not necessarily in that order.) ;)

Fiddle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Fishers
    As I study the bible for myself, I have found that biblical doctrine does not support what I was taught as a youngster. But here it is.

Growing up I was taught that Israel was God's special people and that any nation that molested them would have to answer directly to God for their actions.
    “The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession, out of all the peoples who are on the face of the earth” (Deuteronomy 7:6)

It is true that Israel was chosen by God from all the peoples of the world to be the focus of special blessing in the history of redemption which climaxed in Jesus Christ, the Messiah.
    God promised to Israel the presently disputed land from the time of Abraham onward. God said to Moses, “This is the land of which I swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, ‘I will give it to your offspring’” (Deuteronomy 34:4)

Thus the teaching that has led to a special status for the nation.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    And looking at it super simply... taking all the nuance out of it, from a purely religious point: Would Christians rather ally with Jews or Muslims?

Seems one of those tends to have a better relationship than the other... so Christians may feel swayed in that direction.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    For the biblical minded people. Explain why it reconciles, with the Christian faith, to support a nation where most of the resident's beliefs, run contrary to the Christian understandings of the Holy Bible. Is this the "true," Israel that Christians are supposed to be supporting, or is there something that will one day replace it?
    It's a very contentious subject, I know, but I always found it odd how so many Christians are steadfast in their commitment to Israel, citing Biblical sources, when it would seem that such support is misplaced.

This is not a international relations question. I understand the support based on regional stability, and it being an ally. I look for answers related to faith.

Because anyone who doesn't stand 100% with Israel gets labeled a Nazi or anti-Semite, so it's easier to shut up and go along with it?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I heard a quote one time...I can't remember it exactly but here goes.....

"If you would have told a Jewish man heading to the gas chamber in 1944 that in four years the Jewish people would have established a Jewish State in Israel and would be free and independent you would not have had to lead him to the chamber...He would have died laughing before he got through the door..."

I support Israel the same reason I support Trump....The world seems to hate them....I figure they both could use a friend...Even if it's just a Hoosier Hillbilly sipping on a bourbon at the mouth of a holler in the Southern Indiana Hills....

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    As for faith, the bible says anyone who does not believe Christ has come in the flesh is a anti-christ…..this would be true of most Jews as they believe the Christ has not yet come and this has been going on since Jesus who is Christ came 2000 years ago. However if you were to believe these are the end times then we see that thousands of Jews are converting to Christianity, and this is happening in Israel. The bibles speaks about God restoring Israel and so much happens there in the last days. Its up to Jews to accept Christ just like anyone else, there is no difference in being Jew or Gentile now when it comes to salvation. We see throughout the bible how "Israel" backslid from God and then when they were restored to God. God will be restoring Israel and is doing that now which is why we see so many Jews becoming Christians just like when Jesus was first here and so many converted. This is it in a nutshell for me…..one can most certainly get into the more spiritual aspects of all this and it is there.

This is what I was taught.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well, more a less. Not the Anti-Christ, per se, but lost souls.

John 4:3

Well, yes, what does leaving Judea have to do with it?

John 14:6.

Is the basis of this thread the idea that Christians should want all that bad for people who do not believe that Jesus is the Messiah and Son of God?

....cause that's not​ what I was taight.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...That doesn't say anything about the antichrist?

No, but Kut changed the proposition to "lost souls" and by that I thought we were talking about the exclusivity of Jesus.

...now, the Bible does talk about unbelievers as being "antichrists", that is, small "a", as in against Christ. This is different from THE Antichrist.

18 Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour. 19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us.
    20 But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things. 21 I have not written to you because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and that no lie is of the truth.
    22 Who is a liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist who denies the Father and the Son. 23 Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father either; he who acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

I John 2:18-23

The context of this passage makes it clear that thos who deny Jesus are "antichrist". That is, against Christ. Even the syntax of the sentence makes this clear. The are not THE Antichrist.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No, but Kut changed the proposition to "lost souls" and by that I thought we were talking about the exclusivity of Jesus.

...now, the Bible does talk about certain unbelievers as being "antichrists", that is, small "a", as in against Christ. This is different from THE Antichrist.

Yeah, I'm kinda lost as to what you meant, too.

Top Bottom