• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm in the market for a new DSLR for work, and am thinking I want an FX full frame model. This camera will be used for a lot of Macro photography and low light shooting, hence why I am wanting to venture into the FX stuff. The new Nikon D850 looks pretty spectacular on paper, but I am intrigued by some of the new mirrorless models out there in the same price range like the Sony A7RIII. It doesn't look like Canon has anything really competing with these 2 cameras from what I've read, but I would love to hear what your opinions are.
    Also, I know it is the flagship Nikon, but is the D5 relevant anymore? I am having trouble justifying the price, and think I would be better off with the D850 + glass rather than spending that much on just a body>
    Any suggestions :dunno:

Last edited:

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    What kind of work do you do that requires a camera? I would never buy a new camera, the depreciation is insane, D4's currently sitting around 1.6k used. D810's 1.4k, D800e 1.1k ish.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Check Robert's Camera online store to see if there's anything used.

And good glass will probably be better for you than a higher-end camera. Get the best glass you can - especially for macro work. And get a specific macro lens. And a very good/solid tripod. And a remote shutter release. And decent software on your computer.

with all that, you don't even need a full-frame sensor.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE

That's one of the only camera stores I will not deal with. From my experience they are a crap in crap out when it comes to their used gear and they overstate their ratings.

... with all that, you don't even need a full-frame sensor.

in 2017, there is no reason not to shoot FF. I'd buy 2-3 gen old FF before i'd ever consider a crop.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just a heads up from a Nikon lover. As a freelance photographer for over 40 years, Nikons with one exception have been my camera of choice. The old ones were indestructible, and stood up to some crazy abuse as needed trying to get that perfect picture.

When I changed over to the DSLR I found that the bodies lived up to the old standards, but the lenses are junk. I have a D70 and D3200 as my current go to cameras, but the Nikon lenses that I got for them didn't last, with one zoom-Nikkor lasting just a couple of months before the tubes no longer stayed tight. I took the lens to Roberts when they had a Nikon rep there, and he said as long as it focused, the fact that it was like a slinky toy would not qualify for warrantee replacement. The standard lens that came with the D70 fell apart just over a year after purchase, and only the standard zoom that came with the D3200 still is tight. I bought a 70-300 Zoom-Nikkor and after about 2 years the insides locked up. So that makes 3 out of 4 of my Nikon lenses that turned to junk.

I can recommend the Nikon body, but go with a lens from someone else.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    in 2017, there is no reason not to shoot FF. I'd buy 2-3 gen old FF before i'd ever consider a crop.

I disagree. I shoot sports and wildlife. (mostly sports nowadays) I want the extra reach offered by DX. At my age, and my old back, I don't want, and can't afford a 400 2.8 to do what my 300 2.8 does. That's why my last purchase was a D500. Preceded by my D300S,D300,D200,D50.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    And good glass will probably be better for you than a higher-end camera. Get the best glass you can - especially for macro work. And get a specific macro lens. And a very good/solid tripod. And a remote shutter release. And decent software on your computer.

Sound advice. Bodies come and go, but good glass lasts and lasts.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    I disagree. I shoot sports and wildlife. (mostly sports nowadays) I want the extra reach offered by DX. At my age, and my old back, I don't want, and can't afford a 400 2.8 to do what my 300 2.8 does. That's why my last purchase was a D500. Preceded by my D300S,D300,D200,D50.

I'd still make the argument you are better off w/ a 1.4x teleconverter. Also you birders are a different breed. ;)

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I'd recommend Nikon, the ergonomics are better than the Canon counterparts IMO, especially the shortcut buttons.

While it's true that a high end lens is better to get than the body, It's still best to getting both as you can get really good night shots with a good low light sensor and a fast lens as a walk around camera and not having to worry about using a tripod to get better shots. Getting a high end lens and a cheaper body now, then upgrade the body later.

It's been almost a decade now and my D700 still works wonders.

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons

That's is really not a true extra reach for DX, it's just cropped. You'll get the same in an FF if you crop it. I upgraded from D300 to D700 once I compared the raw pics, with the FF getting better versatility on near and far shots.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I'd still make the argument you are better off w/ a 1.4x teleconverter.

Nope. I have a Nikon 1.4TCE. I rarely use it. I've even tried to sell it with no luck. It pushes my 2.8 lens to f4. But as is the case with converters, they aren't at their best wide open. Don't want to give up shooting at 2.8. ;)

Also you birders are a different breed. ;)

As mentioned, I shoot mostly sports, and little wildlife any more. Never was a "birder". If I was a birder, I'd need a 500 or 600mm lens. ;)

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    The image quality of the D500 is amazing. I saw a 24x36 poster that was made from this pic of mine. The clarity and sharpness, even at that size, blew me away.

Yup. DSLRs are awesome. I just hate the post processing afterwards. I'm so back logged with our shots.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    What kind of work do you do that requires a camera? I would never buy a new camera, the depreciation is insane

It will be used for crime scene photography and video. Most of which occurs in poor lighting, and often requires macrophotography (latents, impressions, etc...). I totally agree that buying used is best, but that not really an option as this will be purchased by a "department approved vendor" (most likely Adorama). Budget is almost always an issue, but not so much this time. My department was recently involved in a large (for us) drug bust and we are getting back part of the seized funds, which can be used for investigative equipment. I was told to put together a want list together, and professional camera gear is at the top. I am currently using a D3400 (rarely), D5500, D5600, all with kit lenses. My goal is to use the D5600 for things around the department, and maybe something better in the field.

Good glass is also at the top of my list, and I am still reading up on it. I am currently using this DX Macro lens (https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-p...g.html#tab-ProductDetail.ProductTabs.Overview) on my D5600, and am surprisingly happy with it. Also have a Manfrotto 055 carbon fiber tripod w/ Manfrotto ball head, shutter release remote (MC-DC2), SB 5000, & flash sync chord (SC-29) in my kit. As far as software, I'm using Adobe Creative Cloud w/ Lightroom.

It seems like the general consensus is split in regards to full frame cameras on here.

Last edited:

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    It will be used for crime scene photography and video. Most of which occurs in poor lighting, and often requires macrophotography (latents, impressions, etc...).

One area of photography I don't have any knowledge of. But isn't most done with direct on camera flash? MR-14EX, etc

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Correct. I have an old school ring flash that's kind of like that, but it's for a film camera. I really want to try out a Nikon R1C1 and see how it does in comparison :thumbsup:

My Pro Ring flash w/ silver soft light reflector is my favorite modifier, does wonders on fabric. Similar concept but a whole different beast.

On a side note, I'd look into 3rd party flashes these days. I just switched my 35mm kit over to Nikon in the last 2 weeks and couldn't bring myself to order SB-5000s when v860ii have better performance at a 1/3rd the cost. Looks like they have some macro stuff also. https://www.closeuphotography.com/godox/

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    My first DSLR was a Canon 10D. I used any money made from my photography to build up my lens collection before I considered buying a new body. Once I had the lenses I wanted, I upgraded to. Canon 40D. I was disappointed as I didn't see an improvement in image quality over the 10D. I then bought my first full frame DSLR, a Canon 5D. From the moment I looked at the first photos taken with the 5D, I knew I had the upgrade I had been looking for. I have since upgraded to a Canon 5D Mark III. Had I not been so invested in Canon glass, I would have definitely considered making the switch to Nikon.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Finally made a decision on what to buy, put an order together for the following Nikon Gear:
    -Nikon D850
    -Nikon 24-120MM f/4G
    -Nikon 105 F/2.8G Micro
    -Nikon R1C1 Macro Flash
    -Nikon ME-1 shotgun mic

Also ordered a "FujiFilm XT-1 IR Forensic Bundle":
    FUJIFILM X-T1 IR | X Series | Digital Cameras | Fujifilm USA
    https://www.adorama.com/ifjxt1irfor.html
    Comes with a 60mm f/2.4 Macro lens, 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 lens, battery grip, external flash, and some other goodies. Should make for a pretty sweet setup. Can't wait. I've read some pretty stellar reviews on the XT-1, and am looking forward to trying out a nice quality mirror-less setup.

Thanks for all the advice and PM's. Seems like there are quite a few photography fans on here.

Top Bottom