How many topics/issues do you not have an opinion on?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Not really looking for answers to a question here, more trying to provide some food for thought for those interested in spending the time....

When was the last time you read a thread here on INGO, saw something on the news or social media or had someone bring up a topic and you thought to yourself "I honestly don't think I have enough experience/information to begin to form a halfway educated opinion"? Do you ever? I'm not accusing anyone of anything or commenting about any specific situations here on INGO. This thought does cross my mind on a pretty regular basis and I'm just curious how many others do the same. Sometimes it seems a lot of people almost feel obligated to state an opinion about anything that comes up.

Just curious.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I rarely state my opinion on anything. I'm not very forthcoming with information and I tend to let other's do the talking, writing, etc.

I truly believe that opinions are like...well never mind.:)

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I am sure that I have far less experience and expertise than most on this forum. That’s why the majority of my posts are nothing but snark, although I do usually try not to be the first to derail a thread.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    This is an internet forum. I come here to read other people's opinions. Some I appreciate more than others, but I appreciate them all, and I'd never imply that anyone should feel like they shouldn't express theirs. I mostly appreciate that others would put up with reading mine (those who haven't put me on ignore :):).

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not really looking for answers to a question here, more trying to provide some food for thought for those interested in spending the time....

When was the last time you read a thread here on INGO, saw something on the news or social media or had someone bring up a topic and you thought to yourself "I honestly don't think I have enough experience/information to begin to form a halfway educated opinion"? Do you ever? I'm not accusing anyone of anything or commenting about any specific situations here on INGO. This thought does cross my mind on a pretty regular basis and I'm just curious how many others do the same. Sometimes it seems a lot of people almost feel obligated to state an opinion about anything that comes up.

Just curious.
    my wife and I say this often when the national news is on. We think it's better than perpetuating someone else's opinions or anecdotes.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I come here like it's going into a bar...interesting to listen to sometimes informative and sometimes you just meet the drunk who wants to fight.

I don't post on topics I have no interest in, if I have an interest in them then I probably know 'something' about them but see no point in trying to claim expertise because I have no interest in proving it to anonymous folks on the interwebs. But at no point am I interested in the mud wrestling match some seem to thrive on. If I say something it's just like in the bar, take it or leave it. If they want to get mad that's on them.

Generally, most of the folks here I would consider friends, otherwise I wouldn't come back.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I spend most of my time here in the break room. It's the safest place. The rest of INGO is referred to as the big scary.

Other than that, I tend to stick to the the gun stuff ( general, pistols, long guns, and NFA) and try to avoid the political. INGO is for fun, not drama.

I avoid a lot of topics, to avoid the drama that will ensue. The military disability thread is a good example. It has turned into a **** show. I wanted to post, but thought better of it. After reading all of it, I'm glad I stayed out of it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Just curious.

I often think that when it comes to a large number of topics ... then I comment on the issue anyway because it's what's INGOing is all about.

I will gladly share my totally uneducated opinion on as many topics as possible.
    And it doesn't look like I'm the only one doing that on INGO. ;)

Most people have opinions on places/countries they have never visited.People they have never met.

I will even share my somewhat educated opinion on a few topics (I'm not sure what they are really and if any of those topics ever came up on INGO to be honest).

Also how much experience and expertise to you actually need to comment on a particular issue/topic?

Maybe it depends on the topic.
    You don't need to have studied cinematography in college to have an opinion on a particular movie.

Whoever it comes to some issues I have no problem saying that I just don't have a clue what should be done about it.

To really know if people have an opinion on anything we should have a thread with random questions, such as "Do you think we should kill all baby penguins now before they suffer an horrible death later on due to global warming?"; and see how many people offer their opinion on the subject.

We could also just visit the political forum.:):

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have no opinion on this topic.

d7d

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I often either have opinions I don't share or realize I don't have enough info. Likewise I may have an opinion based on a limited knowledge and jump in seeking to gain more knowledge that will either more solidify my opinion or change my view as I become enlightened.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'm sorta like Sylvain. There's lots of subjects on here that I don't know or care about, but I'm also a little astounded at the variety of things that I do have some opinion on. And apparently subject matter expertise is NO requirement for me to wander in like a drunken sailor and say SOMETHING.

Of course, like Hoosierdaddy, a lot of the time I'm just having fun and being snarky.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    You mean people here may be throwing out a bunch of BS??

and I thought the internet was Truth:cool::cool::cool:

but seriously some people have an answer for everything. Sometimes it's fun reading those answers.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I spend most of my time here in the break room. It's the safest place. The rest of INGO is referred to as the big scary.

Other than that, I tend to stick to the the gun stuff ( general, pistols, long guns, and NFA) and try to avoid the political. INGO is for fun, not drama.

I avoid a lot of topics, to avoid the drama that will ensue. The military disability thread is a good example. It has turned into a **** show. I wanted to post, but thought better of it. After reading all of it, I'm glad I stayed out of it.

Yeah I probably should have kept my lip zipped in that thread.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm sorta like Sylvain. There's lots of subjects on here that I don't know or care about, but I'm also a little astounded at the variety of things that I do have some opinion on. And apparently subject matter expertise is NO requirement for me to wander in like a drunken sailor and say SOMETHING.

Of course, like Hoosierdaddy, a lot of the time I'm just having fun and being snarky.

Having an opinion on a subject and having experstise on that subject are two different things anyway.

If a thread is about "What is the best place to eat burgers in Indy" everybody can have his/her opinion and there's no right or wrong opinion as it's a subjective thing.

If a thread requires a particular expertise on a particular fied to be able to comment, such as "Hey my machine gun/car/computer is not working right how can I fix it?" then I wouldn't comment in that thread if I don't know what I'm talking about.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Me too. I didn't foresee it going the way it has. That's the problem in threads that are open to opinion, someone has to be the bad guy.

To actually stand in others shoes is the thing. How I see a situation by my lifes experiences will not match yours or his. Maybe slightly or maybe not at all.
    This is the same with "Opinions we express in the Forum. It is hard to read in the true emotion or inflection to the typed/printed word.
    How you or I responded in that thread was in no way meant to incite. But it did.

Top Bottom