• ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Oddest thing.

My 12 year old daughter brought her pillow to me this morning with quite a story.

I have no reason not to believe her. She is generally very honest and very interested in the sciences.

She he asked me to feel her pillow and how warm it was (it was noticeably warm at one end). Then she asked me to note how one end was noticeably thicker than the rest of the pillow (one third of the pillow was “plumped up” about 150% of the rest of the pillow).

She he told me that she was making her bed and changing her pillowcase. When she pulled off the pillowcase, there was a small spark; followed by a much bigger spark. And her pillow got hot and expanded.

Its synthetic fill. Not a flannel pillowcase. But of course dry and lots of potential for static.

Her concern was that her pillow might explode. I tried to explain that an explosion was very unlikely and burning to death in her sleep was far more likely.

But it is truly bizarre. Anyone heard of this before? Experienced same or similar?

We’ve traded pillows just to be safe.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Don't know what the pillow is stuffed with, but lots of solid things can be made explosive by making a fine powder out of them and distributing them in the correct density with air. Just takes a static spark to set them off.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I see static sparks quite a bit with the blanket on our bed, but never seen it cause anything like that with the effect on the pillow. Interested in your findings.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I’m sure telling her it was more likely that she would burn to death in her sleep was a real comfort ! WHUT ? ! ! !

Hey, he traded pillows with her, so it’s more likely he will burn to death in his sleep. That should make her feel better.

Top Bottom