• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Long story short the guy that I used changed companies and seems to be no longer interested in having my accounts. He sent me a letter in the mail back in June saying he had switched companies and I should look for an email in a few weeks. December 4th I received an email saying he could meet on days and times that I worked and I responded telling him just that but I would like to keep using him. I still have not heard back from him - he has never taken this long to respond which makes me question if he wants my accounts or if something were to happen to me would anyone be able to get access to the money.

I have to say I have not looked into moving my money just yet but I think I am to the point I am ready to make a move.
    So does anyone have any recommendations on any company to use?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I remain a fan of Vanguard for the simple reason that the fees are reasonable and when I have withdrawn money it has been easy to do. I can't say that about another company I had an account with where it was like pulling teeth to get my own money back.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Another vote for Vanguard. I don't find their website intuitive but rolling over IRAs worked fine and they have very low expenses.

I've been with Vanguard since I was just out of high-school. At the time they had the best website, best services, and lowest expense-ratio. I don't know how they stack up now but I've always had a great experience with them. And if I ever had trouble, I could ALWAYS get somebody on the phone.

Only trouble I had was dealing with my wife's account after we got married (and she changed her name). The guy I got on the phone was being a prick until I put the pieces together that our last names didn't match up so he didn't realize we were married, and possibly thought I was trying to manipulate something to gain access to the account etc. Once we got that squared away he still wasn't very helpful with what we needed, but at least he was a bit nicer about not being able to help. IE, we had to get the name-change squared away before they could do what we wanted, and that took filling out paper forms and mailing them with the name-change documentation.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    My job is calling on advisers all over a three state area. I know many advisers personally and almost all at least by reputation. If you want advice rather than DIY then PM me and I can turn you on to one or two I would let my wife talk to if I were to die. I have a list of fewer than 10 for her should something happen (in the Indy area).

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I wouldn't pay anyone to take care of my money unless it was several millions of dollars. You can do the same thing as them. I got my Roth's and SEP's with TDAmeritrade and I move money around within it all the time and if funds is your thing, they offer 1,000's of them, many for free. If I want money out I place an order and have money 24 hours later in my bank account. I personally don't like funds....I like to trade around with mine.

I know not everyone sits at the computer with free time and studies stocks...in that case you would probably want to hire someone.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    You can't go wrong with Vanguard. Very low fees, easy to move money around online. Decent selection of investments, plus on line brokerage. I manage my own money and have dealt with them for 21 years. Zero problems and they are always a phone call away.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I wouldn't pay anyone to take care of my money unless it was several millions of dollars. You can do the same thing as them. I got my Roth's and SEP's with TDAmeritrade and I move money around within it all the time and if funds is your thing, they offer 1,000's of them, many for free. If I want money out I place an order and have money 24 hours later in my bank account. I personally don't like funds....I like to trade around with mine.

I know not everyone sits at the computer with free time and studies stocks...in that case you would probably want to hire someone.

You can do the same thing as your accountant, doctor and dentist too.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    You can do the same thing as your accountant, doctor and dentist too.

No, negative, not a doctor but I have done my own taxes and once stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. I know...I break all the rules, no education, not a licensed broker, dumb construction grunt, blah, blah, blah........but I am willing to say I can make a better % than most of them educated stiffs. I just may do it a little riskier than them, but I can do that since I don't have a fiduciary duty to anyone. It's not like it is really that hard....especially if you are a younger person with time.

Speaking of which, take a look at my winner today, Gain Capital ticker GCAP.....35%+ in a day is a pretty good return for an old dumb country boy, but I did put 1/4 of my 401 in it, a fund manager would never be that "stupid" with your money.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Thanks for the suggestions. My current employer uses Fidelity. My accounts I am looking to do something with are with American Funds. My accounts are not that large - I could buy a nice new car (not counting penalties and such) with them without giving out exact numbers online.

Been busy at work this week and haven't had much time to look into this.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm a little confused because you said "who do you use for rollovers" but I think you mean who is managing your retirement accounts. Plus, 401k's are managed by your employer, that's not something you can move while still employed. (Can you?) And a 401K is a totally different animal from a Roth IRA.

I, like Randy, have my investments with TDAmeritrade and self-direct everything.

Well, except for my SEP, because the company choose a traditional I-know-mutual-funds investment induhvidual with the fees that go alone for this "expertise". :xmad:

YMMV, but someone's paying for all those ads during televised golf and I don't want it to be me.

Top Bottom