• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Out of curiosity, at what point did you move your child from a rear-facing car seat to a forward-facing car seat? I know the law in Indiana says rear-facing under a year and less than 20 lbs. And they recommend waiting until 2 years old.

But I know that I've seen people have their young children forward-facing when they're under 2 years old. My plan is to wait as long as possible, even though it IS rather tight in my Jeep....

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Until they absolutely will NOT tolerate their legs hitting the seat in front of them.

-Nate

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    As long as you possibly can. I've had friends wait until kids were 3 or 4 years old. Yes, they weren't cramped, but they were safe.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    From my experience, it depends on size (height/weight) more than age. Our little one is, well, little. Still in a full car seat at 7 yrs. Can't remember exactly when we spun the seat around, but we went basically off of the instructions printed on the seat, plus a bit. No harm in keeping them rear-facing longer.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The fold down arm rest in my grandparents car was called the "John seat". It's where I sat in the front seat. How we Gen Xers survived I'll never know.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The fold down arm rest in my grandparents car was called the "John seat". It's where I sat in the front seat. How we Gen Xers survived I'll never know.
    Ain't that the truth! Between the rear-facing seat in the wagon, crawling around in the back of mom's Vega, riding in a pickup truck bed, and not wearing a helmet on my bicycle.... I should have been killed 42 times (statistically), killed the neighbors, and a sack full of puppies.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    We went from one of those infant car seats (that hold kids up to 30 pounds aka keyfit 30) to a convertible can seat that can still be installed rear facing. My daughter is still rear facing at 4.5 YO. However, a lot depends on the vehicle you are in. I want to put her forward facing soon though

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    We moved our daughter over to a forward facing car seat when she was maybe 14 months old. She got so tall her legs were cramped up against the back seat, really had no choice.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The Concern is deceleration forces from a front impact. When you're facing real the force is spread out across the entire surface area of your back and legs and head. When you're forward facing it is only spread out underneath the strap. The head can whip around on the fulcrum of the neck.

If adults could drive rear facing that would be way safer. Unfortunately cameras and screens just do not give us good field of view or resolution

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    We waited until 2 with out daughter; will wait until 2 for boy as well. We have the "super premium" convertible car-seats with cup-holders. It's nearly impossible to get a larger child into one of these when rear-facing. We always end up smashing their heads into the ceiling trying to get their legs up and into the seat.

That being said, the longer the stay rear-facing the better. I know a girl that has her 3 year old boy still rear-facing. It truly is the safest. But sometimes we take calculated risks like turning them forward facing for more convenience.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Don’t think of it as a minimum for going forward facing, think of it as a maximum for staying rear facing. Same applies for going from a car seat to a booster seat. My son is 7 and he hasn’t reached the max for getting out of a car seat yet. He probably won’t for another year. Safety > Convenience.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The Concern is deceleration forces from a front impact. When you're facing real the force is spread out across the entire surface area of your back and legs and head. When you're forward facing it is only spread out underneath the strap. The head can whip around on the fulcrum of the neck.

If adults could drive rear facing that would be way safer. Unfortunately cameras and screens just do not give us good field of view or resolution

This is why the airline-style seats installed in military aircraft cargo areas, e.g. the C-141 and the C-5 (and the C-17 I'm sure), face the rear of the aircraft. Commercial airliners don't do it because they think their customers won't deal with it (and I'm sure they're right), but USAF don't give crap whether you like it or not.

I remember responding as a firefighter/emt to one particular car accident where one of the cars had a child seat in the back. Based on that (admittedly one) incident, I would also highly recommend that the car seat be in the middle of the back seat as far from the windows/outside of the car as possible. I suppose a lot of seatbelt arrangements do not permit this, but if it's possible I would go with the middle.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

In an early 60s Ford Econoline cargo van, the engine compartment cover was between the front/only seats, just about elbow high, where now you find arm rests and consoles. In 1964 or 65 I sat on a blanket on top of that engine cover, with furniture and boxes as a back rest, all the way from Galesburg Illinois to Nashville Indiana. Had a great view of the road ahead. Survived the trip. Probably would not have survived the crash.

Rarejewell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Metro Indy
    Most police and/or fire departments have certified installers. I am one for my agency. If you can make an appointment to meet with one, they can evaluate your particular situation and give the all the info you should need. Each persons situation is different and they can help you make the correct determination for your situation. Hope this helps.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I believe the current recommendation is rear facing car seat until puberty and at 17 they get to go with a booster seat.

Top Bottom