• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    I know this has been discussed before, but in a separate technique. Basically I am an adjuster. I don't need steel or composite toe boots. I am searching for a nice looking, good gripping, long lasting, weather resistant, boot that works with dress clothes.

This feels strange to post but, well, INGO!!!

Appreciate any input.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    You might swing by a Dick's Sporting Goods and look at the tactical boots to see if they have anything that fits the bill. It is a place to start.

Sawmiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Danner
    they still have some models that are still made in the United States
    They come at a price, but are well worth it
    been buying danner for 20 +years. Go to their website
    I buy a American made boot and can get up to 2 years out of a pair
    That’s normally 7 days a week
    I don’t have much luck out of their imports

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I agree on the Danner, and I made sure it was American made.

I’m on my second pair of Non-US Made Danners. Super comfortable and seem to last about 3 times longer than anything else I’ve bought.

That said, next time I’m springing for the US Made Acadias so I can get them re-soled. I wear out the tread long before the boots.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Another vote for Danner, it may look stupid, but I wear my Acadias with Chino/Docker style pants, but I don’t care.

Most of the USAF in Iceland in the 90s wore Danner Acadia boots. It's not crazy cold (9F was the coldest I saw it in three years) up there but you were good out in the weather or indoors. Awesome boots.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If you're looking for something to go with dress clothes I'm going to assume you won't be walking through snow in them as a primary use.

Look at a good pair of quality leather boots. Make sure they are resolable. Learn how to take care of them.

Personally I have a pair of leather Goodyear welt Chukka boss that I can wear with everything from a suit to sport coat and khakis to jeans and t-shirt.

Keep them clean, protected and they will last a long time. Like 10-15 years before you need to consider resoling.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/2016/02/24/3-things-to-look-for-in-leather-boots/

There are tons of good boot makers out there today. But expect to pay a minimum of $200. That's entry level.

I have these from J-Shoes.out of the UK.

_11309547.jpg

PUalum04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Hope
    I like boots and have 6 pair. 4 pair of red wings (all American made, full leather and can be resoled) 1 pair of Danners (Hood Winter Light) and one pair of mucks. I like all of them and each have a different purpose. I will say that out of all of them the Danners are the most comfortable (only boots I've ever owned that were comfortable out of the box and didn't require much of a break in) and seem to be wearing the best.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I know this has been discussed before, but in a separate technique. Basically I am an adjuster. I don't need steel or composite toe boots. I am searching for a nice looking, good gripping, long lasting, weather resistant, boot that works with dress clothes.

This feels strange to post but, well, INGO!!!

Appreciate any input.

Homeowner claims adjusting? You looking for a boot that you can wear on a roof as well, or do you have Cougar Paws for that? Thorogood and Duluth both make a very nice looking boot that can be worn and grips roofs pretty good. Duluth roofing boots are very tough, but but don't grip as well.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    In order: Redwing, Wolverine, Chippewa, Thorogood, Danner. There’s others, and certainly some great custom shops, but those are my reasonable go to boot brands. Buy the American made versions. Buy top grain leather (not corrected). Buy a model with a Goodyear welt construction. Instead of buying a new pair when the sole wears out, you’ll be able to have a new sole put on.

As stated earlier, expect to pay a minimum of $200. Up to $350 is not uncommon. Good boots cost money. But if properly cared for, they’ll last a lot longer than cheap boots, and if you do the math, it’s cheaper in the long run to buy quality boots that last longer and can be re-soled when the sole wears out.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    As a side note.....all of the people saying redwing (or insert other company) has gone downhill and no longer makes good boots.....they’re buying the cheap Chinese $80 piece of **** throw away Walmart specials. They still make good boots. The good ones don’t cost $80. The good ones are US made with quality full grain leather and a Goodyear welt.

It sucks that the market is forcing quality boot manufacturers to essentially have two levels of boots (quality US made and cheap Chinese ****). It taints the brands and confuses people that don’t take the time to learn what quality is and what to look for.

Had my brother just tell me today that redwing only makes junk these days. Some people just don’t know ****.

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie
    I bought a pair of Caterpillar Alaska boots back around 2000 and they lasted me wearing them almost every day until a year or two ago when a sole broke off. I thought they were plenty comfortable and they looked good and are offered in a few colors. They weren't steel toe but they did have the non-slip grip on them until they got so worn down after years of use. I don't know if the new boots will last as long as the old ones but mine were getting torn up/scratched so if you need to keep them nicer all the time you will want to replace them more often. Mine were brown and worked well with khakis and jeans both. I still have the boots since I couldn't bear the throw them away but I'd like to pick up another pair sometime.

https://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-Mens-Alaska-Work-Boot/dp/B007VN2VU6

Top Bottom