• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I have some tools that I have not used since the 80's. Last used my timing light and tach/dwell meter on my old Triumph Spitfire. Also have an assortment of pipe wrenches, plumbing tools and antique hand tools that I inherited from my Father and Grandfather. Anyone else have old tools laying around that they cannot bring themselves to get rid of?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm with you on the old tools.
    Maybe it was due to the Great Depression but my dad never threw anything out. I must have inherited his squirrel gene as I'm getting to be the same way dad was.
    I've got wrenches with different sized teeth in them that aren't really a universal wrench, aluminum screwdrivers with drop down handles for more torque, and all kinds of weird tools that are hard to describe.
    My best bet thinking is that dad was pissed at me and bought all this crap to screw with me.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I got rid of my timing light. I don't ever see myself needing that again. I guess I could be wrong. Other than that I keep it all.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I still use some of the ones that were my dad's and grandpa's. A couple of hammers and saws and stuff, and this beautiful old plane.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I still use my eastwing hammer from 1981. Use it for most everything that needs a good smack. When the local ace hardware went out of business they had a couple of hammers and an axe left over at 35 % off. He said that the next week they would be 50 percent off. That Monday after work I bought one of each. I did not need another hammer or axe. Just could not resist them.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    When my grandpa passed we inherited some of his old tools. We cleaned up a bunch and still use them. A few of them even dad joked were so old the should be in the Smithsonian. I really dig it when a job presents itself that I get to use my grandpas tools.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Id keep them if its good quality stuff that still works. The only tools i get rid of are the cheap junk tools that i buy new quality versions of. Even then i dont throw them away, i just give them to a buddy who doesnt have alot of tools. My grandpa left me a 1964 remline tool box that was his very first new toolbox and i use it every day at work to keep my machinist tools in.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I'm reducing my Tool Inventory. I got rid of my 3/4" Socket Set, never working on that Big Stuff again. Gifting a lot of Doubles to my Son & Son in Law, they'll use them. They can divy up the rest when I'm gone.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    +1 on old tools!

I keep them, especially if I don't know what it is, because that means I will likely need it one day!

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    They really aren't made as well as they used to be. Older tools are more robust, acurate and well made. I would never get rid of older tools, sentimental value aside.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Some my tools date back to the early 1900's. My Grandfather had tools for wiping lead joints, used in connecting lead pipes. Have electric meters dating back to the 1950's. Have torches and B-Tanks dating back to the 60's. I have to admit, my inventory is only 1/10th of what my Father had. Had to sell off a lot of it to pay bills on Dad's estate, and simply because there was no room for it all.

My tool sets are pretty well organized. Have carpentry, woodworking, mechanical, auto, electrical, and bicycle hand tools. Also have a table saw, two drill presses, two compressors, a bunch of air tools, and framing nailers. Also have gunsmithing tools and tools for soldering/ham radio. Most of the duplicate tools are going to end up at my cabin in Alaska, when my BIL and I build a new workshop.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    My dad owned a coal yard back in the 60’s/70’s and had quite a collection of huge wrenches. I had no need for them but turned them over to a friend that works at a local gravel pit and they still use them to this day. He also had 2 tool boxes full of nuts, bolts, screws, springs and washers that I kept. Prolly worth more when scrap prices were high but I kept them just because hardware stores don’t carry much of the old stock.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    My dad returned from World War II and after buying the gas station my grandfather owned he opened a garage to compliment the business. I have some of his mechanic’s tools. All are well worn and well used. I don’t use nearly all of them, but when I do it reminds me of him. When I restored my ‘65 Corvette I did use many of them. I could hear his voice in the back of my head instructing me.

Neither of my two sons seem to have any mechanical interest or inclination so I don’t know if they have any interest in the tools or not. It’s more likely one of my two daughters will get the tools and the guns. (Whoops, I forgot I lost all my guns in the boating accident of ‘08 !)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have so many tools. Many of them are very specialized that I collected when I was in the tool industry as a sales rep. When I finish my complete home reno, I'm putting all the tools that are singular in use or tools that I'm no longer going to use in a big pile. My kids can have what they want. The rest is being sold.

This is the last home reno of this magnitude I'm going to do and I don't want to store a bunch of tools that are only going to be in the way and gather dust.

I have 25+ wood to wood pneumatic tools alone. Plus fastener's to go with them. Engineered wood nailers, hardwood nailers, specialty plumbing and electrical tools. To give you an idea, I have had to loan more than once a contractor a tool!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have made a good living out of my tool boxes. In all that I have acquired over the years I am still finding new needs that require specific tools. I may only use a tool a few times but it will always be available. I will never sell any tools.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have made a good living out of my tool boxes. In all that I have acquired over the years I am still finding new needs that require specific tools. I may only use a tool a few times but it will always be available. I will never sell any tools.

I still buy tools when needed for a specific task.
    I keep telling myself I'm retired and not doing this stuff anymore..... but some old warrior shows up needing my skills.

Top Bottom