• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Howdy guys and gals,
    I returned from a trip to Texas and New Orleans this morning. While spending some time in San Antonio, Houston, and Austin I did not come across as many people with southern accents as I thought I would. I went to some gun shops one older employee had a deep one and at another a younger worker had one. I was surprised by how many people had northern accents. When I was in New Orleans some people had an accent, but again not as many as I thought there would be. On my trip to Nashville last year it was really only the older crowd that had them. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or even disagrees with me. Maybe it is just in the metro areas where the accent is lacking or maybe it is slowly eroding everywhere

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Around here, Eastern OK, the drawl and twang is so bad it can be hard at times to understand some folks.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I would imagine that urban and/or tourist areas have more transplants. My wife has family in east Texas, and while her aunt (native Hoosier) never picked up the accent, her uncle and cousins all have it. Also, we lived in Lumberton, NC for four years; the Southern accent is alive and well down there.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    When I lived in South Carolina (Charleston, specifically), I had to put on my best SC accent when I went to buy tools at the pawn shop, to keep from getting charged "Yankee tax." 1865 did not end anything for some of those folks.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    When I lived in South Carolina (Charleston, specifically), I had to put on my best SC accent when I went to buy tools at the pawn shop, to keep from getting charged "Yankee tax." 1865 did not end anything for some of those folks.

I hate Charleston Bridge over 17.
    I figure some accents are being shaved down some via media. Lots of movies, satellite/cable, and just being subjected to different vocal patterns more so than growing up in a small area and not being subjected to more than that tiny portion of the world.

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I lived in South Texas for many years, as well as having family in Louisiana. The populace has increased with northern transplants in Texas. The southern drawl is alive and well, but more rurally inclined.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    For the record, lots of people (like me), have a environment accent. It's something I never noticed until my girlfriend went me to Alabama, and said that my accent came out whenever I was around friends and family. And for the record, Texas and Louisiana have their own accents, that are decidedly NOT Southern.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Just like the US is accused of overseas, Yankees have moved South and destroyed the culture of the indigenous people.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    When I saw this thread I assumed you were talking about Indiana!
    The southern accent in Perry and Crawford counties is doing fine.
    TV and media is diminishing the accents in the US and UK.
    Go rural to find the more distinct accents large cities tend to attract “city people”.

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    For the record, lots of people (like me), have a environment accent. It's something I never noticed until my girlfriend went me to Alabama, and said that my accent came out whenever I was around friends and family. And for the record, Texas and Louisiana have their own accents, that are decidedly NOT Southern.

I hear you. I agree with you. In south Texas, it was more of a Tex-Mex and a hint of the drawl. While in the BR area of Louisiana it was more of the Quebequois-Cajunized dialect. Yet they both have a huge influx of other dialects from world-round.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

And a trained ear can discern differences between say a Tennessee accent and a Georgia or Mississippi accent...or at least could used to. My mom was from North Carolina and she had a southern/Scots accent: out = oot, house = hoose, etc. :)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Agreed, mine comes out more when I make a trip home or just after. I was born and raised in Northern FL, but neither of my parents was native to the area (though they lived there for many years, met there, etc). All kinds of different accents floating around those areas, depending on lineage and locale. Anytime I go south, whether it's GA, AL, FL, TN, etc i tend to pick it back up again.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just like the US is accused of overseas, Yankees have moved South and destroyed the culture of the indigenous people.

I was watching an episode of American Pickers and they were picking down in Texas (IIRC) and the old gentleman they were picking said, "Yankees are like hemorrhoids. If they come down and go back up, they're okay. If they come down and stay down, they're a problem!"

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Having been around the country I agree with this. I hear western, southern, and their various regional accents. Growing up hillbilly I slide into that Kentucky regional sound a bit when I'm immersed in it.

I would imagine that the movement of Americans around the country may some day homogenize our language.

Top Bottom