• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Well, I'll blame the Boots thread for my idea of asking Ingo, but my wingtips are getting old (about 10 years of nearly daily use), and it will soon be time for new dress shoes. I would like some that are comfortable to stand and walk in, as I do a lot of that, so pretty looks are second, but they need to be worn with a suit.

What says the hive mind of INGO?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    In my experience, only way to know is to go and try them on. I know we want to shop online these days, but I can't quite get it right when shoe shopping. Obviously steer clear of man-made uppers, though a rubber sole isn't bad. I've had both rubber and leather soles (and combination) and rubber stands up better over time. I also like a heal that can be replaced if need be, meaning it is attached to the sole, not molded with it.

My preferred construction and fit mean more to me than brand.

I stopped wearing lace-up dress shoes years ago. It's slip-ons for me.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    The most comfotable pair of shoes I own are Clark's UnSheridan. I promise I don't work for Clark's but I'm on my feet for 10 hours a day in different environments and it's the only shoe I can wear with a suit or a pair of jeans on casual Friday.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Look at Cole Haan. They have a line with Nike and are super comfortable but may look a little casual for some. Johnston and Murphy also make some really comfy dress shoes.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I stopped wearing lace-up dress shoes years ago. It's slip-ons for me.

Me too, although in the last few years dress shoes are just for special outings so I look like I belong next to my classy wife.

Been happy with Bostonian Classics for a number of years and have been able to find the exact same model year after year.

41PCYEPVASL.jpg

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I have a pair of Allen Edmond's Fifth Avenue shoes that I absolutely love they are made in the USA and are on a Goodyear Welt so they can be resoled and essentially never wear out. Very comfortable after about a couple days break in. I waited for their big annual "made in the USA" sale around October/November and only paid like $220 for them at the store in Chicago (the same sale happened at the Allen Edmond's store at the Keystone Fashion Mall). These shoes have garnered almost as many compliments as my Red Wing Heritage Iron Ranger boots.

wWZ8jRgh.jpg

Fifth Avenue - Cap-toe Lace-up Oxford Mens Dress Shoes by Allen Edmonds

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Price range?

Agreed. Dress shoes can get kinda salty/stupid on price, but your need sometimes is determined by your profession and position.

Johnston & Murphy get pretty good reviews, and they make widths.

The upper end of Clarks is what I am wearing right now (Dorset Boss cap-toe oxford, Black). I can't bear the thought of spending more than $200 on a pair, simply because I ask them to do things they sometimes ought not do, so they don't last as long as a dress shoe would on carpeted cubicle-land.

Do please consider wearing something OTHER than a wingtip, unless that's strictly your style, or it is somehow directly befitting your role. They are a little dated, and they speak to a specific generation. Maybe that's okay.

Brogue details can be alright, but I say understated is better and more formal (less is more).

Up to you.

-Nate

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    I second Allen Edmonds. I have two pairs of their Mcallister Wingtip Oxfords, one in Black and one in Oxblood. Mine broke in quickly, after purchasing and after they were refinished. There is a Allen Edmonds store at Keystone and the Crossing, so you could go there check out sizing and fit. If you don't need them in a rush something I do is to buy lightly used leather dress shoe shells on ebay then have them refinished by a shoe shop downtown. AE also offers the service through their stores as well.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have a pair of Allen Edmond's Fifth Avenue shoes that I absolutely love they are made in the USA and are on a Goodyear Welt so they can be resoled and essentially never wear out. Very comfortable after about a couple days break in. I waited for their big annual "made in the USA" sale around October/November and only paid like $220 for them at the store in Chicago (the same sale happened at the Allen Edmond's store at the Keystone Fashion Mall). These shoes have garnered almost as many compliments as my Red Wing Heritage Iron Ranger boots.

wWZ8jRgh.jpg

Fifth Avenue - Cap-toe Lace-up Oxford Mens Dress Shoes by Allen Edmonds
    Those would be great if they weren’t slick soled. Vibram or some other more grippy sole material is a must for any shoe I wear.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    This thread would have been valuable for me a while ago...now my dress shoes are a set of Wolverine Plainsman boots. I'm the boss so we've gone business tactical. ;) Glad you found what you were looking for.

Top Bottom