CERTIFICATION TO TEACH IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS (Indiana)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Asking for a friend (for realz):

Does anyone have experience obtaining certification to teach in high schools well after you graduated from college?

If anyone can direct me to resources where someone with a BA and MA in English can learn more about teaching certs and licensing, I would be very grateful!

Thank you!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It's commendable what your friend would like to do. It really is.

Have your friend sign up to substitute teach in the district they see themselves working in. That'll be great experience AND get his name familiar with the staff. And being familiar to the Principal / other teachers is BIG.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    It's commendable what your friend would like to do. It really is.

Have your friend sign up to substitute teach in the district they see themselves working in. That'll be great experience AND get his name familiar with the staff. And being familiar to the Principal / other teachers is BIG.

Yep. That's how the Mrs got her full time job. She started off as a maternity leave substitute, then they offered her her own classroom for the next school year. Been there ever since.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My wife started in HR, then did "Transition to Teaching" at Taylor University. She didn't get a teaching degree, but got certified. Later she got her MA at IPFW.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    My wife is a teacher with her masters in elementary education. She taught elementary school for years, she now teaches collage classes in the student teaching program. She also goes around and observes the student teachers enrolled in the teaching program here locally. Here is what I got from her.

If you have your four year BA degree in something else already, then you will need to take another set of classes, most schools call the program Transition to Teaching. This set of classes usually last about a year or so, then you take the state test.

I will say after listening to my wife the state test is very difficult to pass. From what she said they implemented a new test roughly five years ago and a majority of these kids can not pass it. They are having student after student complete the courses, but can not pass the final test.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My wife is a teacher with her masters in elementary education. She taught elementary school for years, she now teaches collage classes in the student teaching program. She also goes around and observes the student teachers enrolled in the teaching program here locally. Here is what I got from her.

If you have your four year BA degree in something else already, then you will need to take another set of classes, most schools call the program Transition to Teaching. This set of classes usually last about a year or so, then you take the state test.

I will say after listening to my wife the state test is very difficult to pass. From what she said they implemented a new test roughly five years ago and a majority of these kids can not pass it. They are having student after student complete the courses, but can not pass the final test.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Yep. That's how the Mrs got her full time job. She started off as a maternity leave substitute, then they offered her her own classroom for the next school year. Been there ever since.

Wait a minute... You now work where I used to work... And your wife got her teaching job in the exact same manner as MY wife got HER teaching job... And we both "like" guns. This is creepy, man.

Hope this helps.

I cannot speak to the toughness of the Transition to Teaching test as it is now. I CAN, however, speak to the licensing tests way back in 2000-2001. For both the general and content-area tests that I took (May have been three: 1 general secondary ed test, 1 earth-space science test, and 1 biology test) - I found it to be relatively easy. But I've always been a good test taker.

I will say that in talking with many of my friends who were Elementary Education majors - the elementary education tests, particularly the mathematics portion, were quite difficult. I had many friends have to take it more than 1 time in order to pass. Thankfully the tests are "modular" - meaning that you don't have to take the entire thing multiple times, just the unit you may fail.

Jist of my post: jagee is copying me. And a lot of a test's "toughness" can be up to the test-taker and how well they may or may not take tests.

Also - beyond student teaching, I've not ever taught anything in a classroom setting. Thankfully.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Teaching college and graduate school rocks....they just let you wander in there and start pontificating.

...and if there's one thing I can do, it's pontificate.

Good luck to your "friend".

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Wait a minute... You now work where I used to work... And your wife got her teaching job in the exact same manner as MY wife got HER teaching job... And we both "like" guns. This is creepy, man.

Jist of my post: jagee is copying me.

I would also consider myself "Tactically Chubby" :laugh:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Teaching college and graduate school rocks....they just let you wander in there and start pontificating.

...and if there's one thing I can do, it's pontificate.

Good luck to your "friend".

Teaching college sucks unless you have a doctorate or you're in one of the few fields that typically don't require it. One of the few huge regrets of my life was not finishing my PhD.

Teaching in a public school pays a lot better than teaching at Ivy Tech (which I used to do), which is pushing the limits of the definition of "college," but there is no way in hell I'd spend my days inside of a public school. I'd rather be buggy whipped.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Teaching college sucks unless you have a doctorate or you're in one of the few fields that typically don't require it. One of the few huge regrets of my life was not finishing my PhD.

Teaching in a public school pays a lot better than teaching at Ivy Tech (which I used to do), which is pushing the limits of the definition of "college," but there is no way in hell I'd spend my days inside of a public school. I'd rather be buggy whipped.

I just did it as a hobby. I did undergraduate classes for Indiana Wesleyan in business law and business ethics and MBA classes in similar fields. I did that for about 7 years. I'm in my 9th year teaching a medical ethics and bio-ethics course at Valparaiso University School of Law. I'm guessing this is my last semester.

Top Bottom