• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Let's say you worked for a company that has locations all over Indiana, with HQ in Indy. The locations have the same jobs as the others, but HQ has a lot of jobs and most can't be found in the locations around the state. Obviously due to locations and group dynamics, the locations are similar but different.

Now let's say you had to pick a job at this company, would you value a job you love over a location you hate or a job you hate over a location you love? Obviously if you love the job and the location it's a clear choice. Maybe you don't love or hate either one. In short, would you be more likely to pick the best job or the best location, and why?

Hopefully this little personal opinion question is slightly clearer than mud!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would say that when it is all said and done, you are going to spend most of your waking hours at work on most days. If your conditions there are not acceptable, you are going to be miserable all the time. I can't say that I would advocate moving somewhere that you just absolutely don't like, but I would rather give up my first choice of location in favor of a pleasant work environment rather than the other way around. You have to go to work all day every business day. You enjoy the amenities of the community only in relatively small installments. It is easier to love every day of work in Richmond where there isn't much to do to your notion and drive an hour to hour and a half to enjoy amenities in Indianapolis than it is to work all day every day with a pack of s**theads in Indianapolis in exchange for a short drive to Ruth's Chris a few times a year.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I hate my job but it's 3 miles from home and pays me too much money for the amount of real "work" that I do. There are better jobs 10 miles from me but 10 miles in Hamilton County during rush hour might as well be 100.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'd pick location. For me, the location factor includes friends/family in the vicinity, as well as travel time to work, etc.

I had an opportunity to move to Nashville, TN for my current company and because I'd be so far from friends/family I had a very high number to make me go. The location itself was perfect for me, good motorcycle roads, big city nearby, small town country feel just outside of town...but still too far from friends and family.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    I hate my job but it's 3 miles from home and pays me too much money for the amount of real "work" that I do. There are better jobs 10 miles from me but 10 miles in Hamilton County during rush hour might as well be 100.

How long have you hated your job?

Also, I'll go ahead and give a few more details. I'm currently working at HQ, my job is ending in 5 months and I now have the option to stay at HQ or go to a location around the state. I don't care to live near HQ, it doesn't provide they type of life I'm looking for. They want to keep me, and I don't want to leave the company, so that's good. I'm monitoring the job openings, and I have a preferred location in mind, I'm just concerned the preferred job won't come open. Am I going to take a job I don't want to get to a location want to be??? I'm not sure. Also if I can't make up my mind, I'm pretty sure they will make my mind up for me, and that could be anything so I'd like to avoid that.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If they want you don’t let them f you around.

Don’t be the girlfriend/mistress waiting around for the husband to get divorced. Throw those resumes out like hot cakes at the church breakfast. They have not yet offered you a place or job title. What are they waiting for. If they have offered you a position and location what are you waiting for.

I think you you can have both the location and the position you want. Maybe not with the current boyfriend eerrr employer.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Are there growth opportunities at the "bad job" location?

I made this choice a couple of times in my career, and so far, it has worked out. Do what is right for my family (best location), and suck it up at the job. Continue to look for opportunities to move up / over / out while absolutely killing this "crap" job. Network with HQ and the other locations, and keep building the reputation. If company management has 1/2 a brain (which may be asking a lot, I know), they will want to move you to the "right" job and keep you around. If not, well, control your own destiny and find someone who DOES value you.

If they stick you in Storage B with a can of bug spray, just don't burn down the place.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I picked location. I could have taken a manager's position for my department, nice raise and I already do the work anyway, but would have to move to Minneapolis. Way to freeking cold for my old bones!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My commute is 39.6 miles one way. I love where I live. I really like my job. So, how much do you like your job and where you live? Compare...make a judgment.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'd pick location. For me, the location factor includes friends/family in the vicinity, as well as travel time to work, etc.

I had an opportunity to move to Nashville, TN for my current company and because I'd be so far from friends/family I had a very high number to make me go. The location itself was perfect for me, good motorcycle roads, big city nearby, small town country feel just outside of town...but still too far from friends and family.

And you would have to join TNGO. :faint:

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I live 3/4 of a mile away from a job i love, but if i had pick id rather live further away. Itd give me a chance to drink a cup of coffee on the way to work plus id get to rack up more miles on the harley in the summer.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    My commute is 39.6 miles one way. I love where I live. I really like my job. So, how much do you like your job and where you live? Compare...make a judgment.

Comparing and making the judgement...that's the hard part! Haha oh well, good news I don't have kids or a spouse to worry about in this decision. No matter what I choose it doesn't have to be a career-long commitment.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Let's say you worked for a company that has locations all over Indiana, with HQ in Indy. The locations have the same jobs as the others, but HQ has a lot of jobs and most can't be found in the locations around the state. Obviously due to locations and group dynamics, the locations are similar but different.

Now let's say you had to pick a job at this company, would you value a job you love over a location you hate or a job you hate over a location you love? Obviously if you love the job and the location it's a clear choice. Maybe you don't love or hate either one. In short, would you be more likely to pick the best job or the best location, and why?

Hopefully this little personal opinion question is slightly clearer than mud!

I would and did pick location over job opportunity without hesitation. I would have been able to get a job as an engineer had I been willing to relocate, but I am not. My preferred compromise is live where I want and find the job that sucks the least.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would and did pick location over job opportunity without hesitation. I would have been able to get a job as an engineer had I been willing to relocate, but I am not. My preferred compromise is live where I want and find the job that sucks the least.

I cannot imagine why anyone would volunteer to drive into a metro area?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I chose the job over the location but unless there is mobility at the current position I have a time limit in my head where I will start looking again. I've tried to be "loyal" but after nearly two years of carrot dangling I was done. The new position is far superior even though the commute is not.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Are there growth opportunities at the "bad job" location?

I made this choice a couple of times in my career, and so far, it has worked out. Do what is right for my family (best location), and suck it up at the job. Continue to look for opportunities to move up / over / out while absolutely killing this "crap" job. Network with HQ and the other locations, and keep building the reputation. If company management has 1/2 a brain (which may be asking a lot, I know), they will want to move you to the "right" job and keep you around. If not, well, control your own destiny and find someone who DOES value you.

If they stick you in Storage B with a can of bug spray, just don't burn down the place.

^^^THIS^^^

There are so many factors that go into play.... are you single or do you have family involved? How easy would it be to up and move? Will the company compensate you enough for either decision?

I had a great job that I absolutely loved, but the location was bad. Hour and a half drive one way. I left it a couple years ago for something more local. Ended up with a few crappy jobs close to home, but never regretted the decision. Of course I have a wife who has a great job, and kids that love their school. I'm not going to relocate unless the new job pays well into the 6 figures.

I stuck it out with bad jobs in good locations for a couple years, and finally landed a job that I love. It's with a national technology retailer, and is a great company. Even in that company, I could move up very quickly if I were willing to relocate, but I wont. My advancement will go a little slower, but I'm ok with that. If I were single with no attachments, it would be a different story.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I live 3 minutes away from work. It’s hard for me to say if I picked job vs location, since I like both. It’s also hard for me to compare it to anything else, since it’s the only job I ever had. Been working there for 21 years.

Top Bottom