• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Let's say you are interested in a certain model and trim level of a car including color that the dealer does not have in inventory. You agree on a price and the value of your trade. My guess is that the dealer will try to sell you something similar from his inventory. You say no and insist on exactly the model and trim you want. The dealer locates your match at a dealership hundreds of miles away.

Can the dealer get that car and sell it to you at the agreed price? I ask because I am considering two cars that are not in any local invenetories that I can find on line.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    You don't have to buy from a local dealer. Having a car shipped to you is not terribly expensive, so you can just negotiate with and buy from whoever has what you want.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Yes my dealer does this all the time for me. Most small dealer have to do this as they can't stock every combination. Most will not charge extra for this but some might especially if vehicle is a long way away as they have to pay someone to go get it and that involves 2 people and mileage on 1 vehicle there and back and when your vehicle come in it will have those miles on it. Most of the time they dealer trade for vehicle and driver can deliver the trade and drive yours back so only one person.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    When I worked at a dealership they would do dealer trades quite a bit so yes they can and if they want your business then they better make the deal happen.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would always start at Cars.com and look within a 100 mile radius. If you think about it a 100 mile drive is four (4) hours. If you would save $4,000 driving 100 miles, that is $1k per hour.

For me, that is a time investment I would gladly pay.

If nothing else, you can easily go to your local dealer and explain what you can get two (2) hours away and see if they'll match it, if you like them. If they do, great. If not, bye.

Regards,

Doug

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Dealers trades happen hundreds of times every day, it’s totally common practice. The dealer either trades the vehicle for another vehicles, or buys it from the other dealer, at no charge to the customer.

The price the dealership gave to you will stay the same all things being equal..now if the vehicle could have one or two small options that raise or lower the price, that’s between you and the dealer to agree on.

one bit of advice, if the two dealers are close, be careful trying to pit the, against each other. If the dealership who doesn’t have the car gives you a better deal, the dealership who does may not trade it to them if you have been in the store asking about it.

what kind of car is it?

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Yes but make sure the trade includes going to get it with a roll back tow truck. If not they will just drive the car back and add more miles. Plus u have some kid driving your new car back like a maniac. U don't want that do u???

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    short answer: yes.

Bought my truck that way. Knew what I wanted, and what I was willing to spend. They found it for me. Guessing they did a dealer trade of some sort. I was under no obligation to buy it until I saw it in person.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Dealers trades happen hundreds of times every day, it’s totally common practice. The dealer either trades the vehicle for another vehicles, or buys it from the other dealer, at no charge to the customer.

The price the dealership gave to you will stay the same all things being equal..now if the vehicle could have one or two small options that raise or lower the price, that’s between you and the dealer to agree on.

one bit of advice, if the two dealers are close, be careful trying to pit the, against each other. If the dealership who doesn’t have the car gives you a better deal, the dealership who does may not trade it to them if you have been in the store asking about it.

what kind of car is it?

The car is a Mazda CX-5. I want the touring model in FWD , Soul Red paint, parchment interior and automatic lift gate option. I currently have a nice CX-9 but my wife hates to drive it and we no longer need a big SUV.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    The average age of a dealer trade driver is close to 70.
    This is what I found out when I bought the one and only brand new car I have ever had. I wanted something they didn't have on the lot and they told me they could do a trade and get it and drive it back. I questioned who would be driving it back and was told it would be one of 2 retired part timers who won't hot rod it.

Turns out one day I was back at the dealership looking around to see if anything else sparked my interest when I saw the car I wanted on the lot that had just been traded to them and had arrived on a flat bed with 1.3 miles on it.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    The car is a Mazda CX-5. I want the touring model in FWD , Soul Red paint, parchment interior and automatic lift gate option. I currently have a nice CX-9 but my wife hates to drive it and we no longer need a big SUV.

not the company I work for so can’t help there...but regardless, dealer trades are pretty standard practice. And I agree the vast majority of drivers are old retired guys, usually who worked in the auto industry. Don’t worry about it.

If you’re concerned, Depending on your time frame, have them special order one and it should show in 6-8 weeks typically. You will be rolling the dice on incentives though.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I bought my last two Volts this way. Went to Defouw's in Lafayette and told them exactly what I wanted. The first they found north of Chicago and traded for it. The second was 150 miles west in Illinois that they traded for it. I believe in both cases they traded a pickup. The 2nd one took the longest, I asked for it on Tuesday night and they got it, cleaned it, and was ready for me on Thursday morning. Price was agreed on before they got the cars.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Didn't read all the replies, but as said dealer trades happen all the time.

That being said, if you're really gunning for a screaming deal and using all the tactics known to get you a screaming deal, that generally only works on cars that are in-stock at the dealer you're working with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have 2 friends that are retired and jockey cars for dealerships. They are busy every day. Lots of trades taking place.
    I did get to ride in a Hellcat recently.....:):

Top Bottom