I phone 6 plus battery issues— anyone else?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I have a 2 year old lie phone that was doing just fine until I did a software update and my battery would crash in no time No aps running just setting. So I found out I could take it to a Apple store and they would replace it for about 30.00. I live an hour and change from any apple store. Found a reputable place about 35 minutes away.
    What a load of crap. My phone was working perfectly and then I have pay someone else to fix it. Anyone else had to do this?? I’ve seen many posts online about this. :xmad:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I believe the expected lifespan of the batteries in an iPhone is at best three years -- they expect you to upgrade to the next phone. For quite some time the IOS has been slowing the performance of older phones to extend the life of the older batteries in them....but Apple didn't tell anyone about this until recently.

Be glad you can pay the $30 and get a new battery. Apple's original plan for you was to buy a new iPhone X for $999. :)

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've had my iPhone 6 Plus a little over 2 years. Seems to run ok, but I might go ahead and do the battery replacement, since it's only $30. Beats buying a new phone for $700+.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I got less than a year. I know how to take care of batteries and still within 8 months would get less than a couple of hours of light use and if the phone temp was below 50f it would die in minutes. Now even with an external battery pack it'll shut off if it gets mildly cold. My iphone 4 is now on 5 years with the original battery working fine. My ipod touch is 7 years. I am Not Happy.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had a 4s way back, and the "upgrade" from ios 5 to 6 (I think those were the versions) reduced my battery life by upward of 50% right off the top with no other changes. I bought the tools to crack the case and change the battery myself; I could get a generic one for maybe $7 on ebay and put about 10 minutes into replacing it. I'm sure you can do the same on a 6, unless they have some sneaky way to tweak your software to fix the drain rate. I have to dig into the software on my Galaxy S7 because it's sucking enough current to heat up.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Never fell for the iPhone hype...even when Steve Jobs was still running the show....Apple has admitted they manipulate the product so it has problems and you by a new iPhone. Get an Android.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Had Android, thought they were cool. Tried Apple and I'll never go back, even with the issues they're superior.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I had android phones and like them ok. Not a fan of all the lie phone hype. It works ok and for my use I don’t get/see the advantage for me. My family has all apple stuff and I took the plunge. Just gripes me that my carrier can’t take care of me like when I had a android. Especially when a software update completely kills your phone. This has been enough to make me go back to a android. The new google pixel looks great.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I had android phones and like them ok. Not a fan of all the lie phone hype. It works ok and for my use I don’t get/see the advantage for me. My family has all apple stuff and I took the plunge. Just gripes me that my carrier can’t take care of me like when I had a android. Especially when a software update completely kills your phone. This has been enough to make me go back to a android. The new google pixel looks great.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    After the crap Apple pulled on my wife with a brand new phone I'll never buy apple again. Long story short new phone. Broke. Wanted $300 to fix a brand new phone. On a side note. What do you call security at a Samsung store?

Guardians of the Galaxy!

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    My wife's phone did the same thing... started dropping battery charge just after the iOS updated... it acted like the software was glitching--went from full charge to low battery in minutes, but after a few minutes on the charger, it was back at full.

But, sure enough, Apple support diagnosed a bad battery, and since it was replaced, it's worked fine.

I'd love to know how they manipulate things... Perhaps Volkswagen and Apple got together?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The 6 plus is about 4 years old. At least you can get it for 30. I replaced mine in December for 60.

I take it you use either the camera app app YouTube or a game app. For some reason those seem to drain the battery very quickly.

once you get the new battery you be good as gold.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Batteries have a limited number of discharge/recharge cycles. Being used in a phone that is typically powered on 24/7 means that you're on a permanent countdown timer as soon as you buy the device. To further confuse things device manufactures give you a battery meter that can be calculated however they want. The reality is that at some point the battery will not be able to provide enough voltage for the amp draw requested by the processor and display. At that point the phone shuts down. Doesn't matter whether the battery meter says 10%, 50%, or 100%. On a bad battery the voltage could be reading 4.2 volts (Full voltage for a lithium polymer battery) but drop to below 3 volts once you ask the device to do something processor intensive. This is where you will see devices shut down with a "full" battery. In the recent Apple kerfuffle about slowing your phone down because it had an old battery was an attempt to prevent the spontaneous shutdown by limiting the amount of power the CPU could draw on an older battery. The secondary effect of this was that the CPU couldn't run at it's maximum speed. Apple just did a poor job of explaining and being upfront about what was happening and/or giving users the option to turn this controversial feature off.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    You change the oil in your vehicle every x,000 miles. You buy new tires. You even buy a new battery for it every 3 to 5 years.

$29 for an Apple battery replacement is a bargain. Sure, I wish I could swap them out myself, but even so I'm not going to complain about changing out the battery in my handheld computer.

jmpupillo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    NWI
    The fact that Apple lied about everything until they were called out is quite telling. Apple runs such a high-margin business, and yet they still try to pull one over on the consumer for a few bucks. I have the Iphone 8, and I completely regret not getting the Samsung equivalent.

My next phone will most certainly not be an Apple.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    High margins? Yes.

Bought a battery for my son's Samsung a couple of weeks ago- genuine Samsung, $2.20, free shipping, any idiot can install.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom