• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    So I have a local shop change out the automatic transmission in my old 1995 F-150 4X4 and there was no core value attached to the old unit so I advertised it on the Facebook Marketplace.

No responses at even $150.00 then a desperate Confederate Flag waving Redneck from Vincenness responds saying he can't find one to rebuild for his daily driver. The only thing though is he has no spare funds. this piques my attention so I ask what he is thinking.

Turns out he has this brand new H&R Pardner Pump 12 guage that he has fired one time and he needs the trans worse than he needs the shotgun!

The wife comes home yesterday and sees the box leaning up against the wall and the cross examination starts:

"What did you buy?"

"Nothing, it was basically free!"

"Don't lie to me!"

"I'm not!"

"No one gets a free gun!"

"I did, well I guess it wasn't exactly free."

"That's what I thought! What did it cost me?"

"Nuthin!"

"Here we go again, yer starting to **** me off !"

"You remember that old transmission laying in the back of the truck?"

"Your kidding?"

"Nope!"

"You're ate up!!"

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sounds like a great trade.

...but you need to work on your wife; that about 5 more questions that I would get:

"What's that?"

"12 ga i just got"

"Huh...have fun."

Maybe she's just tired at this point.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Sounds like an awesome deal to me. I must admit that I was blessed with my last wife. We both had our hobby's. As long as the bills were paid we both indulged a little. My first wife was no fun at all.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Sounds like a great deal... Problem is that you showed her the box of a 'new' toy... 'Guy' logic- transmission = shotgun in value does not compute for her. You could have maybe... put it away and then some nice day in the future say, honey remember that old transmission that was in the truck... yes, well, some guy needed it and he traded it for this 12g. Lets go shoot some clays!

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Awesome deal.

Also, I first heard the expression "ate up" decades ago, but not sure where, whether in my Hoosier upbringing or in the military. Definitely heard it in the military a lot. It generally meant someone who was so deeply invested in something that it seemed pathological to everyone else. For example, a belt is normal. Belt and suspenders are just beyond the high end of normal, maybe tad eccentric but not too far out of the ordinary. Belt, suspenders, and some of that glue that strippers use keep their pasties on* where law requires...that's ate up.

* or so I've been told. By a friend.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    After 35 years of marriage, I just get the head shake as she goes back to doing something else....
    If she would ask, I could always just say I was moving stuff around.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    You could have cleared things up at the start by saying, "nah, I didn't buy it. I traded some sucker for that junk transmission that was just taking up space."

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Back in the 80's, "Ate Up' was a common term in the military. Pretty much meant "100% sold one's soul to a particular branch of service".

To us degenerates in the chair force, Marines were the poster children of Ate Up! :abused:

main-qimg-b982369061e51f1e1290c9ef9696f227-c

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    did 4l60e in my 97 chevy a few months ago. core at a trans shop was only like $40. (I did the swap myself with a low mile craigslist find)
    I'd say you made out big time.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Ate up was a popular expression when I was in high school. After being corrected by our English teacher, those in his classes started modifying it to 'eaten up'--instead of taking umbrage with the correction, it was settled out to take it and run with it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    "Ate up' was coined by churchmouse. It came from what he told his tribe what happened to his hunting partner. "The T-rex showed up and Bob was just ate up in a few seconds."

At least that's what Inducky claims.

Top Bottom