• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    All right gentlemen, we are eight days into 2018 without this thread having been started. I, for one, feel great shame. I and some friends have been hard at work. Let's start out with a little breakfast.

cL43ZS.jpg
    Forgot to take the after pics with the eggs etc.

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    A friend brought down prime ribeye pinwheels from Costco. They were delicious, but there was a band of connective tissue that should not have been there, especially in a prime cut. Hopefully it was just a fluke.

5EMTXA.jpg
    d08aob.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Good Lord Man, have you done nothing but cook since New Year's Day?!?!?!?! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I can't compete with that. I did grill some boneless chops this evening and served em up with mashed sweet taters but I didn't think to take pics.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Good Lord Fargo! I haven't grilled since NYE, did make some home made spaghetti, but that was done on the stove, so not pic worthy.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Costco has whole prime briskets for $2.99/lb ...smoked one for dinner Sunday. It was spectacular. And I forgot to take pics.

It was 4 degrees at the start.
    Egg was frozen shut, have to make a fire through the bottom air vent, then the fan on the BBQ Guru froze up from condensation about 6 hours into the cook, but I was awake, just the right time to wrap it in butcher paper, moved it to the oven for the finish.

Best brisket I’ve even done. The burned ends were amazing.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    think I’m adding this to my toys, and then remember to never leave the grate or egg setter in the egg. Be easy to light from the tip-top.

https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html
    I might be scared of cracking the egg with that kind of temp hitting it when cold. I use a weed burner to light charcoal and it rips from zero to 1600 degrees really fast. I might also be concerned about introducing propane into a closed egg. My torch is very sensitive to having enough oxygen or it goes out. If you get the right fuel air mixture in the egg and it touches off, I can see it being ugly.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I use a MAP torch to light my egg whether it's frozen closed or not. Haven't had any issues or a failure to light yet, about the only scenario I can imagine a problem would be if I had the grate in and no charcoal loaded.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    I might be scared of cracking the egg with that kind of temp hitting it when cold. I use a weed burner to light charcoal and it rips from zero to 1600 degrees really fast. I might also be concerned about introducing propane into a closed egg. My torch is very sensitive to having enough oxygen or it goes out. If you get the right fuel air mixture in the egg and it touches off, I can see it being ugly.

I was just planning on using it to light the lump. 1600...seriously, never gotten mine over 700 and that messed up the gasket.

what did you use to measure that temp?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    I was just planning on using it to light the lump. 1600...seriously, never gotten mine over 700 and that messed up the gasket.

what did you use to measure that temp?
    I don't have an egg, I was referring to the temp of my weedburner flame. I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about sticking the torch into the vent of the frozen shut egg. I did once touch off a fireball out of my UDS. Lost some hair when the smoke that had built up when I choked a bacon flare up ignited when I opened the lid too soon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom