• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I have a black lab who is 10 months old.

we brought him home at 8 weeks, and we have always had multiple floor surfaces in our house, tile, wood, carpet.

out of nowhere starting a day or two ago, he is terrified of the tile floor in our mud room, where is food, water, and bed is located. He is fine standing on the floor once he gets in there, but getting him to cross the threshold, you’d think I was killing him.

anyone else deal with this? Why the sudden fear?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    nails to long, feet slipping on the floor?

My daughter has a dog that is terrified of the wood floor. Most of their home is wood flooring. They don't have any idea either.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    My mastiff is the same way. Sometimes she'll go right across but most of the time forget about it. She hates the hard wood floors. Shes been like this since a pup. Shes going on 3. We just put carpet runners down to solve the problem.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I'm not a dog expert at all, but have had a bunch of labs over the years. My black lab acted a little weird coming in from outside to our wood floor the other day. The hard icy snow might have hurt a pad temporarily... who knows, I couldn't find anything when I looked. Could your lab have had a bad experience out in the cold, and that is a trigger for him?

FlatSixShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2018
    Westfield
    My mastiff is the same way. Sometimes she'll go right across but most of the time forget about it. She hates the hard wood floors. Shes been like this since a pup. Shes going on 3. We just put carpet runners down to solve the problem.

Agree with carpets. Our sons dog has some trouble with "skid-fear"........he got the rubber "non skid" booties. She walks funny but it slows her down and she has no worries.

We are no experts either but have had 3 dogs over 40 yrs.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Our black lab was the same way. Terrified of tile, hardwood, and concrete. His food and water was on the tile in the kitchen. We had to put a carpet runner down for him. Lost him last year after 12 years. Best dog we ever had. Damn I miss that dog.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Nails are good. I’m leaning towards the cleaning product. My mother in law was in town over the weekend to help my wife get the house together best we just moved, and she is a super cleaner....I’m betting that is the cause because the time line is perfect.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The Dog whisperer did a show on this syndrome. It was interesting but memory is not clear enough on how he convinced the dog it was OK to cross the threshold.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Our youngest lab is the same way. It just started suddenly one.day for no reason, we've had to put down carpet runners for her in the family room. I suspect she slipped and fell one day while playing chase with one of our other labs.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Our youngest lab is the same way. It just started suddenly one.day for no reason, we've had to put down carpet runners for her in the family room. I suspect she slipped and fell one day while playing chase with one of our other labs.

^^^ I would bet that's it right there. Like others have said, I'd put down a few non-slip rugs or runners.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My girlfriend's dog is like that. Won't even consider anything not carpet. She put runners and rugs down. My dog, doesn't even phase her.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I had a friend whose black lab was intimidated by the tile floor in his old farmhouse. The floor had alternating black and white squares. Apparently the dog thought the dark squares were holes in the floor. It would only cross the floor while stepping on the white tiles - it was actually pretty funny to watch.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The Dog whisperer did a show on this syndrome. It was interesting but memory is not clear enough on how he convinced the dog it was OK to cross the threshold.

He did a few things. First, he didn't encourage the fear. Second, he walked the dog in other areas and continued right on through the marble floor. It took a few tries, but the dog figured it out.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have laminate hardwood floors in most of my house. Last year I came home, and found my Rottweiler, who will be 10 this year, limping badly. He could barely walk. He became terrified of the floor, didn’t want to leave the living room which has carpet.

I later found out that he had got excited, probably the mail guy outside, and had slipped and fell. It took some time for him to heal, and get him used to walking on the hardwood again.

I now have area rugs and runners everywhere.

Hardwood floors are hell on dogs. They’re too slick.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Whatever you do don't try to force him into the room. Try to make the room where the surface is located a place that he wants to go, and he will rediscover on his own that it isn't all that bad. Dogs can also slip on slick surfaces if the fur between their pads is too long.

Top Bottom