Help me build the ideal gun/reloading room.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    So check this out.
    I have my own space to do whatever I want with.
    I’ve chosen to make a dedicated gun/reloading/hang out space.
    So, I’m going to be looking for ideas on making this space the best darn man cave that can be made by humans.

A little about the room:
    No children in house, but room has a steel exterior style door with a locking knob, just in case nieces and nephews do visit.

Sits over the garage, so I assume hot in summer and cold in winter. (These last few weeks, in the bitter cold, the room is definitely colder than the rest of the house, but not so cold that it is uncomfortable. Today the temp was a balmy 34° and the difference between the room and the rest of the house was barely noticeable.)

Floor is carpet... ick.
    Room was used as a kennel for Fi-fi the Pomeranian... double ick.
    Didn’t notice the smell before, but the more time I spend up there the more I can smell the dog urine. Yeah, eff that.

Has a ton of outlets.

Has a pretty sweet closet going down over half the length on the East side.
    Measures:
    25’8” N to S
    10’4” E to W

So, moving forward, I’m going to be replacing the flooring, building a reloading/work bench, adding in a display/organizing rack for guns and ammo, and putting in a couch or something for a “hang out” area.

My question to youse guys, what would you ideally put in to this?
    Flooring?
    Bench design?
    Rack system?
    Anything else I missed?
    I’ve got a few ideas but I really want to get this as right as I can.

The room:
    358baer.jpg

2cco1hy.jpg

The closet:

2uzcmrl.jpg

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Linoleum for the flooring, I would kilz it before putting the flooring in
    The biggest bench you can when it looks big enough double it
    A separate bench for a dedicated gun cleaning area
    No display racks for firearms, a nice big safe All though, with the steel door, a rack might be ok. But I'd add a deadbolt to it
    TV and radio are a must

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So check this out.
    I have my own space to do whatever I want with.
    I’ve chosen to make a dedicated gun/reloading/hang out space.
    So, I’m going to be looking for ideas on making this space the best darn man cave that can be made by humans.

A little about the room:
    No children in house, but room has a steel exterior style door with a locking knob, just in case nieces and nephews do visit.

Sits over the garage, so I assume hot in summer and cold in winter. (These last few weeks, in the bitter cold, the room is definitely colder than the rest of the house, but not so cold that it is uncomfortable. Today the temp was a balmy 34° and the difference between the room and the rest of the house was barely noticeable.)

Floor is carpet... ick.
    Room was used as a kennel for Fi-fi the Pomeranian... double ick.
    Didn’t notice the smell before, but the more time I spend up there the more I can smell the dog urine. Yeah, eff that.

Has a ton of outlets.

Has a pretty sweet closet going down over half the length on the East side.
    Measures:
    25’8” N to S
    10’4” E to W

So, moving forward, I’m going to be replacing the flooring, building a reloading/work bench, adding in a display/organizing rack for guns and ammo, and putting in a couch or something for a “hang out” area.

My question to youse guys, what would you ideally put in to this?
    Flooring?
    Bench design?
    Rack system?
    Anything else I missed?
    I’ve got a few ideas but I really want to get this as right as I can.

The room:

The closet:

2uzcmrl.jpg

Why did they carpet the wall? And why lay your rifles on the floor? Why not prop them against that nice carpeted wall? :):

Rip out the carpet yourself. Use an enzyme cleaner on the subfloor for the urine or it will linger. Cheap berber and extra thick premium pad to help provide extra insulation from the garage below.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Linoleum for the flooring, I would kilz it before putting the flooring in
    The biggest bench you can when it looks big enough double it
    A separate bench for a dedicated gun cleaning area
    No display racks for firearms, a nice big safe All though, with the steel door, a rack might be ok. But I'd add a deadbolt to it
    TV and radio are a must

I’ve got the safes from the old house in the garage, I get kind of nervous on account of the weight. Maybe I’m just overthinking it.
    I definitely will be adding a deadbolt. I was going to reinforce the strike plate, but the door opens out, so there’s no way to kick it in.

wabashman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    My first question would be what is the weight rating of the floor trusses? Before adding a metric ton of bench, ammo stacked up, safes, etc, id be sure it wasnt going to collapse down on the garage floor.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Flooring?

Pull up the carpet. You don't want to end up like that reloader in Kansas City that ran the vaccuum over carpet full of powder.

Leave the floor concrete for easy clean up.

Bench design?

Nice big L along the wall with shelving up and down and magnet strips to hold tools.

Maybe an 8 foot rectangle table as an island to work on or set up extra press(es).

Rack system?

Yes, with room that size, at least two 6-8 slot vertical gun racks. PM me your cell number and I can text you my design. (Yeah, I know, I'm a lawyer, not a carpenter, but I really got into my gun room).

Racks are cool for temporary storage and you have a place to organize range day fun or have a space for guests that bring long guns.

Anything else I missed?

Beer fridge? But I know that is touchy subject here. I bought a floor model from an appliance store here in Lafayette. I keep water and ginger ale in it when in the armory and barley pop for later.

If concrete floors and at that temp, I would build a podium from 2x4s and scrap carpet for the safe(s). Again, send me a PM, I'll show you what I did.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Almost forgot, get some of those surgical pads that docs stand on during surgery. Great for long sessions at the press.

You can get them from doctor catalogues or industrial hygenie catalogues.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Almost forgot, get some of those surgical pads that docs stand on during surgery. Great for long sessions at the press.

You can get them from doctor catalogues or industrial hygenie catalogues.

They have big sized anti fatigue mats at tractor supply I guess they use them in horse stalls.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    My first question would be what is the weight rating of the floor trusses? Before adding a metric ton of bench, ammo stacked up, safes, etc, id be sure it wasnt going to collapse down on the garage floor.

I was concerned about that too, but there’s a big steel beam with supports running across the garage to support the room above. So while I’m reasonably certain it would take the weight of the safes I don’t want to push it either.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I wouldn't put big heavy safes in that room - but that's me. Unless you can reinforce the floor without being destructive to what's underneath. MAY be able to do it since you said it's over the garage. If you really want the safes up there - consult with a residential structural engineer first. And then a contractor. And then a safe-mover.

If you'll never be up there barefoot - you can think about leaving it plywood that's under the carpet. Agree on the Killz, too. Do the whole flipping thing. Then, in the "sittin' area", put down a nice rug or two.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    If Its going to be a reloading area / gun cleaning I would avoid carpet. Primers in carpet You'd have to vacuum, spilled powder you really don't want to vacuum

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I’ll be pulling the carpet when I finish up work this week.
    Depending what is underneath it I’m thinking some cheap laminate would do fine.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    b15a603860a36cc3f878893c67d33eca.jpg

Things are coming along.
    I’m going to be putting el-cheapo laminate down.
    The pulled carpet smells like death.
    I thought that the former owners Fifi had a few isolated accidents, but let me tell you, it’s the whole damn room. Ick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    LEt it air a day or two then seal that wood. If the “smell” soaked into the wood a sealer will help tremendously.

Don’t forget the lighting. Good lighting is very helpful.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    LEt it air a day or two then seal that wood. If the “smell” soaked into the wood a sealer will help tremendously.

Don’t forget the lighting. Good lighting is very helpful.

I’ve got 8 can lights (LED now) on a dimmer in the room and when I put the bench up I’ll have a 6 foot LED over the bench.

I’m going to hit the decking with an anti-microbial that I have left over from my mold remediation days.

Top Bottom