• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Looking for recommendations on wood stove installers in the NWI area. I'm in Valpo to be specific. Also what kind of stove do u recommend? Think I feel safe doing all the work till you have to cut the roof. Not to keen on putting holes in my roof lol

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Miller Stove & Fireplace just east of Bremen is the go to place. They will install in the Valpo area and when I checked prices when I had mine done they beat every price.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have had a Vermont Castings Encore for 20 years and have nothing but praise for it
    IIRC Vermont Castings sold out and is nothing but import quality garbage these days.

That being said, the quality makers are too numerous to list. I will say that you definitely want EPA high-efficiency rated stoves. They burn so clean and they put out more heat for the wood you put in (because they aren't wasting volatile wood gasses up the chimney.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    X2 on the epa stoves/inserts. I run a Pacific Energy insert and it's stellar for its small size. I routinely run it at 600 degrees. 700 in times like we had last week.

The most important part of an epa stove is the wood quality. They are pickier than the old smoke dragons. You will want truly dry wood for optimum performance. 20% moisture content or less. This means your wood needs to be split and stacked for a year minimum before burning it.

In other words, start getting wood dried now. Nobody, and I mean nobody sells wood this dry. If you find someone with some, it'll be $100 per Rick or more.

You will need a 6 inch stainless liner for this stove also. Shop around. Prices are all over the board in these but one thing holds true.....They are not cheap. My liner alone was $1000.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah I was leaning toward log types so a can be more self reliant. Where do u get pellets from anyways. Anyone see the rocket mass heaters they seem good.

You can buy them buy the pallet. Late summer or so, our Oscheln Farm Store will advertise that it's time to put your order in. I kind of thought if I ever put one in, I'd put in a multli-fuel stove to hedge my bets. The whole firewood thing is definitely a lifestyle choice. You would be more self reliant...as long as you had a place to harvest the wood, a running saw, and the physical ability and desire to process it.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've had my Lopi Endeaver for five or so years now, and I'm very pleased with it. I picked it for it's low clearance requirements, but it's also very efficient (with dry wood), and it's easy to cook on.

I did the install myself, and it really wasn't a huge chore, since the attic is accessible where the chimney's located. I think, all told, it was around $3500 for the whole thing, including double-wall flue pipe and insulated stainless steel chimney components. I have a hard time trusting others to work on my house, and the manuals that come with the stove and the flue/chimney stuff was pretty helpful.

I would recommend that you contact your insurance person before you get it done, since some companies have heartburn if you self-install. I have American Family and my guy was pretty cool about it. I have a friend who was canceled by his company when he installed his own stove.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've had good luck with our Quadrafire 5500, it's kept the house warm through this cold spell. We have two blowers, on eon the unit itself and one upstairs that taps heat from the chimney.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    While on the topic, you won't regret it, trust me. I just moved from a house I installed my own EPA stove and we miss it terribly. It can get a bit messy inside, but just keep the sweeper handy in a closet around the corner and it's NBD.

That being said, in the new house I plan to do an EPA gasification boiler so we can heat the pool water with it too. My dad has an Econoburn he got pretty cheap and is currently not using. I'm trying to talk him into selling it to me but right now I don't have the free funds to buy it, AND pay the costs for the insulated line etc to install it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a simple, small Vogelzang box stove.
    It's messy, but simple, and it doesn't cost me anything but my time and chainsaw chains, gas & oil.
    I have access to all the firewood I can use for free.
    I just have to cut and split it.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We have two Vermont Castings but bought them close to 20 years ago so was unaware that the company had been sold. Sometimes, you can find them used on CL or other for sale pages and just put in new gasket material and clean them up. The one in our living room looked awful when we got it out of someone's garage. The rust came right off with a wire wheel and a coat of stove black made it look like new again.

We had also looked at the Lopi stoves and were impressed.

I would second the vote for Miller's near Bremen. They installed a pellet stove for the neighbor I help and inserted it in her chimney. Top notch workers and very professional. They came out and did an annual cleaning for her rather reasonably as well. I used to clean it for her (she is in her 80's) in between but always felt better knowing it was being thoroughly checked for her. They do a sale on the pellets every July and would deliver before the heating season. They delivered on pallets and had a forklift on their truck to put the pallets wherever she wanted them.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Is it difficult to get homeowners insurance with a wood burner? I really want one but was told State Farm is a real pill when it comes to covering your home once you have one installed
    Wood burner was already in the house when we bought it in ‘96 and American Family never balked at insuring us. Don’t think it’s a big deal if installed correctly.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Is it difficult to get homeowners insurance with a wood burner? I really want one but was told State Farm is a real pill when it comes to covering your home once you have one installed
    We have Auto Owners for our home and vehicles. We have a log home and State Farm, Farm Bureau and several others would not insure us due it being a log home. When we mentioned that we planned to heat with wood stoves, they absolutely would not write our policy. We found an agent that worked with multiple companies and they had no trouble with insuring us. They did come out and inspect the chimney and how the stoves were installed prior to insuring them.

Top Bottom