How to remove a stuck shower fauceet handle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My shower faucet handle is stuck on. I need to remove it to check the innards.

This is the style handle that I have: https://www.deltafaucet.com/bathroom/product/t13020

There isn't a center screw.

Do those faucet-removal tools work with faucets of this style? All the tools I've seen seem to have central posts/screws/pins/etc in order to leverage against a central screw.

Ideas?

(ETA: It also took me about 4 days to remove the set screw on the side of my handle, too. A very stripped out and very limed-in 3/32 allen screw. I had to jam a torx bit in there to get bite in order to turn it out. AFTER I'd been through much CLR and toilet bowl cleaner to descale that sucker. So - if CLR isn't gutsy enough to help: use toilet bowl cleaner that has hydrochloric acid or hydrogen chloride as the main ingredient at 20% or higher!)

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'm no help, as usual. :):

Groz-34514-2.jpg

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    If you scroll down on that link there is a documents and specs section. Look through the Maintenance and Installation link to see how to adjust temps or whatever. The Parts and Accessories Diagram shows where the setscrew is that holds the handle on.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Oh...I went through this last year with my Delta faucet. But the handle was the easiest part. Like you said, there's a set screw that holds it on a spline. Once you get that out, IIRC, you simply pull it off the valve body spline. I don't remember that part being an issue. Getting the valve apart was. I wound up having to cut a hole in the drywall behind the shower and cutting it out.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you scroll down on that link there is a documents and specs section. Look through the Maintenance and Installation link to see how to adjust temps or whatever. The Parts and Accessories Diagram shows where the setscrew is that holds the handle on.

Yeah, i was going to say "setscrew".

Please don't ask me how i know.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Oh and make sure that faucet has no water pressure behind it. You won’t get it back together while it’s drenching you in untempered hot water. That was fun......

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    If you've removed the set screw from the side of the handle, it should pull straight off. There is nothing else holding it on.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    OCi9Jk0oYzxO7JU9sdDmjsycRNwwKBHxCkCFyqFoAC8.jpg

WTJbtIx.jpg

Seriously, though. After the setscrew, the handle can eventually pull straight off. After that, the retaining ring/cover will likely need a strap wrench and some heat. I used a propane torch to WARM it (not melt things). The cartridge behind it all is likely stuck as well, and pulls straight out (no twisting). I used vice grips to get good purchase, and then a yanked the hell out of it. Be careful not to bend/damage the piping behind it all. Unless you like plumbing work. In which case, go straight to the cutting torch and be done with it.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    The Handle (Pot Metal) has coroded to the Valve (Brass). I've had good luck Heating the handle with a propane torch, not too much it will melt plastic parts in the cartridge. Small wood block and 2 screwdrivvers to pop it off. Coat the stem with Heat Proof Plumbers Grease before installing the new one.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Electrolysis has most likely bond the handle to the stem. I had one that I ended up hacksawing the damned stem off and replaced the stem, handle and all. What a PIA.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Oh...I went through this last year with my Delta faucet. But the handle was the easiest part. Like you said, there's a set screw that holds it on a spline. Once you get that out, IIRC, you simply pull it off the valve body spline. I don't remember that part being an issue. Getting the valve apart was. I wound up having to cut a hole in the drywall behind the shower and cutting it out.

When I went to change out the cartridge in my Delta tub/shower faucet, I found that the installers hadn't mounted it at all. It was just held by the copper plumbing. And, with the ring stuck on (of course) I wasn't able to get that off without cracking one of the pipes. So, I did the same thing you had to do and cut the drywall to do a total replacement.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I've had the rubber seals of the cartridge get stuck inside the valve before... it wasn't a fun time working the cartridge out. Luckily, mine was stuck in the off position.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When I went to change out the cartridge in my Delta tub/shower faucet, I found that the installers hadn't mounted it at all. It was just held by the copper plumbing. And, with the ring stuck on (of course) I wasn't able to get that off without cracking one of the pipes. So, I did the same thing you had to do and cut the drywall to do a total replacement.

I had the same thing. Even after cutting it out, I still couldn't open it up...even with heat. I wound up bending the thing. And then when I went to buy a new rough in kit, they changed something so what they had at our little Lowes wouldn't work. Good thing we had more than one bathroom.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I had the same thing. Even after cutting it out, I still couldn't open it up...even with heat. I wound up bending the thing. And then when I went to buy a new rough in kit, they changed something so what they had at our little Lowes wouldn't work. Good thing we had more than one bathroom.

Ha, it ain't a plumbing job unless you make at least two trips to the store.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Trip #1 is for the part you think you need.

Trip #2 is for tools to get the thing apart.

Trip #3 is to get the parts you ACTUALLY need, now that it is apart.

Trip #4 (if needed) is either to the emergency room, or, if you are lucky, to the repair shop to hire out the fix.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have the set-screw out. That took a LONG time and much CLR and toilet bowl cleaner.

The handle is stuck on. The plumbing behind the plastic shower wall is flexing quite a bit and I'm afraid to force it further.

The reason for this disassembly in the first place: The faucet handle stopped its full travel towards "hot". Another YouTube video showed there to be an inner ring between the handle and the cartridge where you can set the "limits" of the travel towards the hot side. And this ring sometimes works itself off and jams up the works. IF that's the problem it's easy to reinstall that little ring and reassemble the faucet.

If only I could remove the handle. :(

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    My handle was almost too stuck to remove. It was limed on pretty good.

It is supposed to slide right off. Mine was corroded pretty bad.

I was able to get it off by wiggling and jiggling for about 30 minutes. It was only 10 years old though.

Top Bottom