• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Coming in this morning I saw police and fire trucks cutting and getting it....Got to the shop and got a robocall that "Due to an accident Brown's Station Road is closed..."

The pedestrian bridge used by my father when he ran his newspaper route in his youth and later by me is gone....Recycling truck hit it...Driver is dead....It was the connection between "Old Clarksville" and "New Clarksville" for 60 plus years.....I snuck a look at my first Playboy there....

Heartbreaking....My wife used it to ride her bike to Louisville and the Riverfront....Much safer than crossing Hwy 62......

One person dead after truck crashes into pedestrian crossing bri - WDRB 41 Louisville News

15800456_G.jpg

Here it is in better days....So many memories....My Dad, his Buddy Stink, and littletommy are here in the shop now sharing memories....

171947-L.jpg

FlatSixShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2018
    Westfield
    Wow...sad news all around (driver, drivers family, town & personal history etc).

Was it a very low/restricted clearance? Kinda hard to imagine how truck cab made that height of impact, unless bridge was very low, truck was very tall, truck flew into air, or bridge had fallen down??

I''d like to hear any followup details.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    To me it looks like the truck had its roll back bed lifted in the air. In the pics the hydrolic rams are extended all the way up. I bet he never lowered them after he dropped his last container and the bed hit the bridge and got pulled down on top of the truck. I have seen that happen more than once before.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    To me it looks like the truck had its roll back bed lifted in the air. In the pics the hydrolic rams are extended all the way up. I bet he never lowered them after he dropped his last container and the bed hit the bridge and got pulled down on top of the truck. I have seen that happen more than once before.

That has happened 3 times up here in the last 12 months.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Wait a bit out of respect, then perhaps contact likeminded people and local government about replacing it in the same spot. Maybe do a GoFundMe to help fund the engineering part

Replacement won't be the same, but the purpose it served is worth saving. Doesn't look like a replacement would be prohibitively expensive

We managed to get our pols to build this; it's a pedestrian/bike path bridge over a busy limited access highway, a busy street that parallels it and a fairly substantial river that split the NW burbs N-S. It's kind of ugly, but new construction over some types of street/highway are constrained by a lot of regulations/standards

View attachment 62723

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    In my home town there was an old railroad bridge that crossed a city thoroughfare at a very low clearance. Even with all the signs warning truckers to go around, about once every year or so, somebody would manage to hit it. Railroad bridges don't fall down...at least this one never did. Too bad that the one in this instance cost a man his life.

Then there was the truck driver that collapsed an old iron bridge in Paoli in 2016 I believe. Signs telling her the weight limit of substantially less than her rig did no good. Fortunately, she wasn't hurt.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    It really wasn't a low clearance bridge, 18 wheelers went through there every day. As someone above mentioned, the bed was up on the truck. The very same bridge was struck last spring, and if memory serves, I'm kinda thinking it belonged to a company that is located very near to the recycling company involved today. The recycling company involved buys our lead and brass from the range, pretty nice guy that we deal with. I feel bad for the company, and of course the driver and his loved ones.

Maybe 2 years ago, a tractor trailer dump bed hit and took down a railroad trestle no more than 1/8th of a mile as the crow flies from this incident. Driver didn't lower the bed. He was trapped in the wreckage for quite a while but survived.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Drivers’ company insurance should pay a good chunk toward a replacement bridge. The guy that took out the Rockville Road 465 overpass probably can’t get insurance anywhere after that payout.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yep. But we found if you have an engineering study in hand that meets all the state route/federal mandates and requirements not only is it easier to convince the pols that it can be done (and at what cost) but you can jump ahead of any pack of similar proposals that have not done due diligence. And while such studies are not cheap, they are usually only a tiny fraction of the whole cost and often civic minded companies will discount such work to break-even or do some pro bono work

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    RIP driver.

His support frame was up. Most of the time they are just not put down. The last one we had up here was a mechanical malfunction. The dump started going up on it's own.

Tommy and I were talking this morning....They have not released the name yet but most of us down here know one another (of a certain age) and are hoping it's not someone we know......

deaths.jpg

Feminists always talk about the lack of women CEO's and Politicians but they seem to never lament the lack of female coal miners, sanitation truck drivers, sewer workers, plumbers, sheet metal workers, steel workers, etc.....

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    I heard the BOOM from that truck hitting the bridge this morning.. Then every Fire & Police unit afterwards
    I live four blocks from where the incident happened..
    Drove out across Randolph about 1:00pm & they where cutting up the scrap metal with torches & hauling it off.
    I heard the drivers name on the news, Garrett Lee Suddeth & it sounds familiar but he was seven years younger than myself. He was 45.. "RIP"
    I went to his sons facebook page & saw a picture of Garrett Sr., He looks so familiar to me? I must have sold him some auto parts back in the day when I managed the Auto Zone or WIP Imports.. I also see his son worked at the Micheal Tire right across from indiuckys's gun store.. Small World..

Top Bottom