• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I grew up with his two youngest sons. It is ironic that Nate, #3 son, just retired as the XO of the 29ID.

I was over at the house on Furman (westside of Indy) very frequently while growing up and enjoyed his wisdom regarding botany and European history. He helped as an Assistant Scoutmaster for Troop 494 and during summer camp always taught merit badges such as Forestry and Swimming. He used to lead hikes into the woods and could ID trees, plants and mushrooms and taught us how to read a forest.

I will remember the encouragement he gave me during my 5 mile swim test. He didn't let me quit even after my cramp. He told me to sidestroke and breathe and it worked. I wasn't first but I did not quit.

I will especially remember the giant green Ford station wagon and Mr. Crum's propensity to collect aluminum cans for recycling. (He became so proficient that he would run over them from the house to crush them flat and then stop and pick them up on the way back).

I wish him well.

"Dr. Dirt" Dick Crum Retires After 54 Years At WIBC | 93.1 WIBC

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    He is awesome. I had some tomato plants that were dying. Only in a certain spot. Called the show and first thing he asked was about a black walnut tree. Sure enough had one about 20 foot away and the roots were poisoning my plants. Never knew. I always enjoyed there show

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Mr. Crum is an absolutely genuine, warm and giving man.

I had the fortune to work with him over 4 years worth of Saturdays at WIBC. I did not know him well, but he always took time to come early before his show and chat for a few minutes. One morning my 2 year old daughter was in the studio with me just kind of hanging out waiting for me to finish my shift. Dick had a camera with him that day and snapped a photo of her sitting in my lap while I was recording a voice track.

Fast forward about 8 months and he comes in one morning with a wrapped Christmas present for me. It was the photo. He had put it in a nice frame along with a Christmas card from him and his wife. It was a lovely gesture I will never forget.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom