• ...and so much more!
  • Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Fun as hell!! If I remember correctly they did this during "Boiler Flex Tests". Max speed, max turn.

"8 burning and 4 turning" was the expression for the JFK CV-67. * boilers at full pressure, 4 turbines running.

Don

MARDET CV-67
    75-78

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As for the power, a Nimitz class carrier has 260,000 shaft horsepower, 194 million watts.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimitz-class_aircraft_carrier

Also..
    Because of a design flaw, ships of this class have inherent lists to starboard when under combat loads that exceed the capability of their list control systems. The problem appears to be especially prevalent on some of the more modern vessels. This problem has been previously rectified by using damage control voids for ballast, but a solution using solid ballast which does not affect the ship's survivability has been proposed.[SUP][[/SUP]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    26231704_540226073003246_282901567821652356_n.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've heard the story from electronics techs that had served on board. A lot of the equipment was mounted in racks on something like drawer slides, so it could be slid out for servicing. When they were warned of a hard maneuver, they'd better get those racks back in, or they were liable to wind up with bent slides.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    My dad remembered blue sea over the bow and spray that went over the ship from bow to stern on his WWII DE. He talked about that in tones he did not use often. Ever since I wanted to experience that. Someday...

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's also surprising how fast nuclear powered carriers are. When I live in California and the USS Enterprise was stationed there, some of the guys from that boat told me that none of the support ships in their group could keep the pace if they went to full speed. They only used two of the eight reactors at a time and claimed it could make 55 mph. I think 40 mph is more realistic (I could be wrong), but that's still damn fast for something that big on top of the water.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Top speed is an interesting topic for large ships. As a rule, access to the bridge on a carrier is very limited at sea. I was there a couple times carrying classified info.

On the bridge they had a board showing the top speed under current conditions. It varied due to fouling on the hull, temperature and if I am correct ,salinity of the water they are in. Salinity affects the draft at a given weight.

Someone with more experience may chime in.

Don

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    My dad remembered blue sea over the bow and spray that went over the ship from bow to stern on his WWII DE. He talked about that in tones he did not use often. Ever since I wanted to experience that. Someday...

[video=youtube;dPHs6ukkNE8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPHs6ukkNE8[/video]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Top speed is an interesting topic for large ships. As a rule, access to the bridge on a carrier is very limited at sea. I was there a couple times carrying classified info.

On the bridge they had a board showing the top speed under current conditions. It varied due to fouling on the hull, temperature and if I am correct ,salinity of the water they are in. Salinity affects the draft at a given weight.

Someone with more experience may chime in.

Don

Has anyone ever water skied behind a carrier?

Top Bottom