• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    So I finally got my nice pair of boots. This time next year I would like to get a nice watch. Not flashy, but the kind you can fall down in the mud and rinse off in the "creak". I like all the neat features such as compass, altimeter, and barometer. What you guys got?

Suunto X-Lander Military

This one is neat but it says they don't make it anymore.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Many years ago as a doctor was reattaching my finger after an accident at work he suggested that I stop wearing a ring and switch to a flex band wrist watch. After that day every watch I have ever owned is a flex band.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    So I finally got my nice pair of boots. This time next year I would like to get a nice watch. Not flashy, but the kind you can fall down in the mud and rinse off in the "creak". I like all the neat features such as compass, altimeter, and barometer. What you guys got?

Suunto X-Lander Military

This one is neat but it says they don't make it anymore.

Look at Casio G-Shock models. They even make a "mudmaster" version.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    aGKPZkVh.jpg

From the Military Arms Channel instagram

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    At some point, years ago, my watch had crapped out and I was going to replace it, but at that time I carried both a pager and a cell phone and I thought "Why do I need a watch?"

Turns out I didn't. I went watch-less and never looked back, although I thought that tan line would never completely go away (seriously, it took a long time).

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    G-shock proved to be the most durable watch I've owned. I destroyed it trying to change the battery several years ago and never replaced it. I bought an Apple Watch last year to wear while I run (GPS + Music + Bluetooth heart rate monitor = WIN) and I wear it most of the time now just because I feel guilty not wearing it considering what I paid for it.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    My preference is a durable analog watch with a second hand. I like this battery free solar version waterproof to 200m. I do a lot of bicycling and with some simple math in my head I can have many of the measurement data points I need while my friends scrolling through their fancy computers are still searching for data. A quick glance at the analog face tells me time much faster than squinting to read the correct digital numbers on a fancy computer watch.

Used a Casio(?) digital watch with altimeter/barometer when taking a cycling trip to Colorado. The measurement points combined with changing weather resulted in inaccurate altitude. As I recall, altitude was measured using barometric pressure and when both altitude and barometric pressure were rapidly changing at the same time the watch could not distinguish.

My curmudgeon attitude aside I have heard good things about G-Shock with regards to durability. Another caution is the size of some watches, they can get pretty big on your wrist and may interfere with your planned activities.

img57054657.jpg

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My preference is a durable analog watch with a second hand. I like this battery free solar version waterproof to 200m. I do a lot of bicycling and with some simple math in my head I can have many of the measurement data points I need while my friends scrolling through their fancy computers are still searching for data. A quick glance at the analog face tells me time much faster than squinting to read the correct digital numbers on a fancy computer watch.

Used a Casio(?) digital watch with altimeter/barometer when taking a cycling trip to Colorado. The measurement points combined with changing weather resulted in inaccurate altitude. As I recall, altitude was measured using barometric pressure and when both altitude and barometric pressure were rapidly changing at the same time the watch could not distinguish.

My curmudgeon attitude aside I have heard good things about G-Shock with regards to durability. Another caution is the size of some watches, they can get pretty big on your wrist and may interfere with your planned activities.

img57054657.jpg

You can get some G-shocks without too many crazy gadgets on them. I picked mine specifically for those reasons (i.e. no gauges for stuff I'd never use, but also primarily the atomic sync).

That's a nice looking watch you have there. What does something like that go for? I found some listings on the web real quick, but they were sold out and no price listed.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    You can get some G-shocks without too many crazy gadgets on them. I picked mine specifically for those reasons (i.e. no gauges for stuff I'd never use, but also primarily the atomic sync).

That's a nice looking watch you have there. What does something like that go for? I found some listings on the web real quick, but they were sold out and no price listed.

IIRC I got it new for around $160 +/-.

I like that GShock you bought in the other watch thread.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I wear the Timex Expedition also and have had the same one for over 15 years. I have changed the battery a few times.
    I think I read the real operators wear Luminox.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Suunto core. I've wore suunto all around the world and in the harshest climate extremes including in the ocean nd very high up in the big blue sky and most importantly they can take being pissed and **** on by babies! and they have never let me down.
    $150 on Amazon. For a $300 watch.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I wear the Timex Expedition also and have had the same one for over 15 years. I have changed the battery a few times.
    I think I read the real operators wear Luminox.

Funny story - Years ago before owning a G-Shock I was involved in a thread on another forum about watches and asked about Luminox as I'd spotted one I liked. A vetted SEAL I'd met before advised me against it and told me to get a G-Shock. I decided not to take his advice and bought the Luminox anyway and it lasted all of three weeks before the second hand fell off. I went back to the thread and admitted my stupidity and he sent me one of his old G-Shock watches which I wore for several years. He'd gotten a little bit of red paint splatter on it and I made no attempt to clean it off. Our boys were in their early teens and I told them it had belonged to a SEAL and still had the blood of terrorists on it, not really sure if they believed me or not lol.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    In 2006 I bought a $20 Timex Ironman at the PX on Parris island. 12 years and a few deployments laters it’s beat up but still works like a charm. It’s been retired now, but I’ll never get rid of it. I have a Rolex submariner I wear pretty much 365 days in all conditions, but I also have a Casio pathfinder I take in my pack when camping/fishing/hunting etc..all three watches have have been great.

Phylodog, that is an awesome story!

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Funny story - Years ago before owning a G-Shock I was involved in a thread on another forum about watches and asked about Luminox as I'd spotted one I liked. A vetted SEAL I'd met before advised me against it and told me to get a G-Shock. I decided not to take his advice and bought the Luminox anyway and it lasted all of three weeks before the second hand fell off. I went back to the thread and admitted my stupidity and he sent me one of his old G-Shock watches which I wore for several years. He'd gotten a little bit of red paint splatter on it and I made no attempt to clean it off. Our boys were in their early teens and I told them it had belonged to a SEAL and still had the blood of terrorists on it, not really sure if they believed me or not lol.

I wondered about the Luminox watches, but always held off due to the salty price. Good to know I apparently made the right choice.

Top Bottom