• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Is it my imagination or is the word "conceal" the most commonly misused word in the English language? The word "conceal" is a verb and the word "carry" is a verb, they are both transitive verbs to be correct (yes, I have been Googling) which require a direct object to be used properly.

When someone says "conceal carry" it makes my skin crawl. In my (admittedly uneducated) mind I don't "conceal carry". I may "carry something concealed", I may participate in "concealed carry (of ______)" but "conceal carry" doesn't sound correct, it sounds wrong, very wrong, super-duper wrong.

Grammar Nazi? You betcha and quite unapologetic about it but this one is so prevalent it has me second guessing whether my meter needs re-calibrated.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I understand.I also want to know what is a gun permit.I do not have a gun permit.Mine says "License to Carry Handgun".It does not say permit anywhere on it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    As for Phly I always use concealed an adverb to modify the verb carry with the understood of a handgun.

However I only conceal my EDC in the winter. During warmer weather I misuse the adjective open to modify the verb carry when I should use the adverb openly.

What's up? Up is the subject of that particular sentence.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm not really a Grammar Nazi, not even a Nazi Nazi, and English is not even my first language; but I also found it weird the first time I came across it.

I guess it's the same with "open carry".Some say "I openly carry my gun" but a lot also say "I open carry" and it's apparently widely accepted.Is it as weird? :dunno:

I'm sure many words are more misused than "conceal".Like "your/you're" and "they're/there/their".

And just to make our Grammar Nazis scream ...

b92fbce356a369cf4a8757ccb76f2e74.jpg

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I understand.I also want to know what is a gun permit.I do not have a gun permit.Mine says "License to Carry Handgun".It does not say permit anywhere on it.

Yeah, well, my stamped Form 4 says "silencer," but I'm always reading online that no such thing exists.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    As for Phly I always use concealed an adverb to modify the verb carry with the understood of a handgun.

In this case, the word “carry” is actually a noun, and “concealed” is an adjective.

As much as I resisted, growing up with a father who was an English major and a professional editor rubbed off a bit.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    If you are a grammar nazi then you better stay away from Facebook and Craigslist. Their, there, they’re, breaks, brakes, roters, rotors......you’ll end up with a headache

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm certainly not a grammer nazi, and I know I don't always speak proper English or even use good grammar. But, I think some word usage even if it goes against proper grammar has become accepted and very common. Kinda like people who say things such as irregardless which as I understand isn't even a word.
    We're mostly just many variations of hillbillies anyhow and we seem to all have certain dialects and improper word usages. All I can really say about it is let it go man

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    When you hear someone say that, they're probably saying "conceal/carry." The slash is silent. As far as the license, your license is a permit, even if it doesn't have that word on it. :ingo:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    When you hear someone say that, they're probably saying "conceal/carry." The slash is silent. As far as the license, your license is a permit, even if it doesn't have that word on it. :ingo:

Gonna have to disagree with this part. Indiana is a shall issue state, the law says the license MUST be issued unless there is a disqualifying status. No one is "permitting" us or "allowing" us by their graciousness to do so. Therefore it is a license.

May be splitting hairs but it's an important distinction, much like "These vs The United States, different things.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    And now we see how the word "nazi" got so diluted. Unless you are killing millions of people because of their grammar, you are not a "grammar nazi".

Being "tough" on a topic like grammar, or even soup, does not make one a "nazi". Calling for mass genocide? Yeah, now you are getting there.

Don't know if it is an American phenomenon, or a sign of the times more generally, but it seems that EVERYTHING must have a special term, and that term must be as short as possible.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    OC, CC, JC, ConC, LTCH, USAAC (United States Army Acronym Command)

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    Gonna have to disagree with this part. Indiana is a shall issue state, the law says the license MUST be issued unless there is a disqualifying status. No one is "permitting" us or "allowing" us by their graciousness to do so. Therefore it is a license.

May be splitting hairs but it's an important distinction, much like "These vs The United States, different things.

OK. I see that your definitions of these words are more specific than definitions from traditional sources. If I accept your definitions, I also accept the distinction. Please comment on the differences between "learner's permit" and "driver's license," and why that would be a permit instead of a learner's license.

Top Bottom